Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2015, 12:18   #16
Registered User
 
hamburking's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kingston Ont Canada
Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Posts: 2,149
Re: Solid FG Hull Damage

In the pictures, aside from the beautiful light wood used below (love it), there is plenty of evidence of water damage. Did you notice the rust on the front of the electrical panel? I can only imagine the other side. Also, that big green panel looks like an old radio direction finder. Thats a museum piece. Also consider the long overhangs...although its a 40 footer, it has the space of a 30 below.
__________________

__________________
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 04:18   #17
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Grimsby, Yorkshire, England
Boat: 1978 Eurobanker 34 Flybridge
Posts: 34
Re: Solid FG Hull Damage

Hi, regarding the Hinckley Bermuda 40. My opinion is that if it needs new engines and a complete rewire and refit inside then unless you can get it for peanuts, then 'give it neck'. That's an English way of saying, leave it alone. Cheers.
__________________

__________________
skiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 04:22   #18
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,137
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Solid FG Hull Damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiggy View Post
Hi, regarding the Hinckley Bermuda 40. My opinion is that if it needs new engines and a complete rewire and refit inside then unless you can get it for peanuts, then 'give it neck'. That's an English way of saying, leave it alone. Cheers.
er.. Thats a Yorkshire expression.
I aint ever heard it before.



Lancashire lad.
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 05:20   #19
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Grimsby, Yorkshire, England
Boat: 1978 Eurobanker 34 Flybridge
Posts: 34
Re: Solid FG Hull Damage

Hi, sorry, I should have read your profile I assumed without looking that you were American\Canadian like most of the members. Very remiss of me. I am still surprised you have never heared that expression, though now I come to recall it , it is actually a Midlands expression. I lived in Wolverhampton for many years. My dad was from Lancashire, Manchester, Higher Blakely. Cheers.
__________________
skiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 05:34   #20
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,137
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Solid FG Hull Damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiggy View Post
Hi, sorry, I should have read your profile I assumed without looking that you were American\Canadian like most of the members. Very remiss of me. I am still surprised you have never heared that expression, though now I come to recall it , it is actually a Midlands expression. I lived in Wolverhampton for many years. My dad was from Lancashire, Manchester, Higher Blakely. Cheers.
A few of the mods are English, and some Australian.(nobody is perfect) Have to keep the Canadians and Americans in order...

I have not hear it before ever. I now live U.K. South Coast and its not down here either.
Have been out of the country since 1990 till recentlyish......
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 09:03   #21
Registered User
 
Cadence's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SC
Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Posts: 6,062
Re: Solid FG Hull Damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiggy View Post
Hi, regarding the Hinckley Bermuda 40. My opinion is that if it needs new engines and a complete rewire and refit inside then unless you can get it for peanuts, then 'give it neck'. That's an English way of saying, leave it alone. Cheers.
That isn't unique to England! I have heard and used it all my life.
__________________
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 14:57   #22
Senior Cruiser
 
roverhi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kona, Hawaii, Carlsbad, CA
Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Posts: 6,005
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Solid FG Hull Damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
In the pictures, aside from the beautiful light wood used below (love it), there is plenty of evidence of water damage. Did you notice the rust on the front of the electrical panel? I can only imagine the other side. Also, that big green panel looks like an old radio direction finder. Thats a museum piece. Also consider the long overhangs...although its a 40 footer, it has the space of a 30 below.
That big green thing is a Sailor Radio. They were a top of the line radio from the last millenia made in Europe and seldom seen this side of the Atlantic except in very high end boats. It is a bit of an antique but a radio not an RDF.

Looked for evidence of water damage but could see very little if any on the interior. There did appear to be some stains on the V berth but they could have been from normal wear on a boat that old. Puzzling if the stains on the electrical panel were from the flooding or just exposure to salt air. The non running engine could be from lots of issues other than flooding. To make an intelligent bid on this boat would require careful inspection. Failing that, wouldn't bid more than recycle value.
__________________
Peter O.
'Ae'a Pearson 35
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 16:12   #23
Registered User
 
Cadence's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SC
Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Posts: 6,062
Re: Solid FG Hull Damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
That big green thing is a Sailor Radio. They were a top of the line radio from the last millenia made in Europe and seldom seen this side of the Atlantic except in very high end boats. It is a bit of an antique but a radio not an RDF.

Looked for evidence of water damage but could see very little if any on the interior. There did appear to be some stains on the V berth but they could have been from normal wear on a boat that old. Puzzling if the stains on the electrical panel were from the flooding or just exposure to salt air. The non running engine could be from lots of issues other than flooding. To make an intelligent bid on this boat would require careful inspection. Failing that, wouldn't bid more than recycle value.
I wouldn't, may cost a disposal fee not a recycle value.
__________________
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 16:20   #24
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,365
Re: Solid FG Hull Damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschultz View Post
That's the one. It started in June at 70. My offer of 25 was immediately rejected.
While a Hinkley may be a great boat to rebuild and come out ok, If they are laughing at $25k offer you should just walk away. This assumes the boat was sunk or partially sunk. Problems from that:
-Engine is garbage
-water has soaked into the bulkheads and cabinetry, will cause the plywood to separate likely.
many other things.
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 18:22   #25
Guy
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: So. Oregon, USA
Boat: Seafarer36c
Posts: 4,308
Re: Solid FG Hull Damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
They might be kicking themselves now for turning you down...have you considered re-offering the same (or lower)?
Tell them you have re-considered and offer $15,000. Seems like they must have had insurance and are trying to get rich, or they were not insured and are trying to get another boat. To bad if that is so but how bad are you going to screw the next guy?
Sinking is one thing but getting a hole bashed in the side of the boat is another. There is probably not anything with any mass that should not be inspected.
__________________

__________________
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hull

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hull and Damage Done !!! Snkr Construction, Maintenance & Refit 8 06-05-2012 07:22
Catalac 9m Hull Damage sonerai Multihull Sailboats 11 09-07-2011 03:38
Selecting a solid hull j.russell Monohull Sailboats 3 31-03-2011 11:40
Crash Blankets and Hull Damage Stillraining General Sailing Forum 14 30-08-2010 19:09
Ericson 35 Damage to Deck/Hull DriftingNowhere Construction, Maintenance & Refit 6 19-11-2008 07:14



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:34.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.