Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2015, 11:18   #16

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Re: Solid FG Hull Damage

In the pictures, aside from the beautiful light wood used below (love it), there is plenty of evidence of water damage. Did you notice the rust on the front of the electrical panel? I can only imagine the other side. Also, that big green panel looks like an old radio direction finder. Thats a museum piece. Also consider the long overhangs...although its a 40 footer, it has the space of a 30 below.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 03:18   #17

Hi, regarding the Hinckley Bermuda 40. My opinion is that if it needs new engines and a complete rewire and refit inside then unless you can get it for peanuts, then 'give it neck'. That's an English way of saying, leave it alone. Cheers.
skiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 03:22   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiggy View Post
Hi, regarding the Hinckley Bermuda 40. My opinion is that if it needs new engines and a complete rewire and refit inside then unless you can get it for peanuts, then 'give it neck'. That's an English way of saying, leave it alone. Cheers.
er.. Thats a Yorkshire expression.
I aint ever heard it before.

Lancashire lad.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 04:20   #19

Hi, sorry, I should have read your profile I assumed without looking that you were American\Canadian like most of the members. Very remiss of me. I am still surprised you have never heared that expression, though now I come to recall it , it is actually a Midlands expression. I lived in Wolverhampton for many years. My dad was from Lancashire, Manchester, Higher Blakely. Cheers.
skiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 04:34   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Hi, sorry, I should have read your profile I assumed without looking that you were American\Canadian like most of the members. Very remiss of me. I am still surprised you have never heared that expression, though now I come to recall it , it is actually a Midlands expression. I lived in Wolverhampton for many years. My dad was from Lancashire, Manchester, Higher Blakely. Cheers.
A few of the mods are English, and some Australian.(nobody is perfect) Have to keep the Canadians and Americans in order...

I have not hear it before ever. I now live U.K. South Coast and its not down here either.
Have been out of the country since 1990 till recentlyish......
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 08:03   #21

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
That isn't unique to England! I have heard and used it all my life.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 13:57   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
In the pictures, aside from the beautiful light wood used below (love it), there is plenty of evidence of water damage. Did you notice the rust on the front of the electrical panel? I can only imagine the other side. Also, that big green panel looks like an old radio direction finder. Thats a museum piece. Also consider the long overhangs...although its a 40 footer, it has the space of a 30 below.
That big green thing is a Sailor Radio. They were a top of the line radio from the last millenia made in Europe and seldom seen this side of the Atlantic except in very high end boats. It is a bit of an antique but a radio not an RDF.

Looked for evidence of water damage but could see very little if any on the interior. There did appear to be some stains on the V berth but they could have been from normal wear on a boat that old. Puzzling if the stains on the electrical panel were from the flooding or just exposure to salt air. The non running engine could be from lots of issues other than flooding. To make an intelligent bid on this boat would require careful inspection. Failing that, wouldn't bid more than recycle value.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 15:12   #23

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
That big green thing is a Sailor Radio. They were a top of the line radio from the last millenia made in Europe and seldom seen this side of the Atlantic except in very high end boats. It is a bit of an antique but a radio not an RDF.

Looked for evidence of water damage but could see very little if any on the interior. There did appear to be some stains on the V berth but they could have been from normal wear on a boat that old. Puzzling if the stains on the electrical panel were from the flooding or just exposure to salt air. The non running engine could be from lots of issues other than flooding. To make an intelligent bid on this boat would require careful inspection. Failing that, wouldn't bid more than recycle value.
I wouldn't, may cost a disposal fee not a recycle value.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 15:20   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschultz View Post
That's the one. It started in June at 70. My offer of 25 was immediately rejected.
While a Hinkley may be a great boat to rebuild and come out ok, If they are laughing at $25k offer you should just walk away. This assumes the boat was sunk or partially sunk. Problems from that:
-Engine is garbage
-water has soaked into the bulkheads and cabinetry, will cause the plywood to separate likely.
many other things.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 17:22   #25

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
They might be kicking themselves now for turning you down...have you considered re-offering the same (or lower)?
Tell them you have re-considered and offer $15,000. Seems like they must have had insurance and are trying to get rich, or they were not insured and are trying to get another boat. To bad if that is so but how bad are you going to screw the next guy?
Sinking is one thing but getting a hole bashed in the side of the boat is another. There is probably not anything with any mass that should not be inspected.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull