Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2012, 12:09   #1

Boat: C&C 40
Solaris??

Just browsing the internet and came about a very pretty set of boats called Solaris. Did a quick bit of research yet couldn't find much in terms of reviews. What do you guys know about them?
CnC40sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 13:41   #2

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Solaris??

It seems you have not looked well

Solaris is one of the most prestigious and high quality Italian boats. It is an old brand that only recently has passed from the hand made small production to a medium scale semi industrial one.

The 44 and the 37 were acclaimed by all the nautical press and the testers that sailed the boats were very impressed and only said nice things about them.

They have only a defect: They are expensive...but if you want top quality, impeccable interiors, fast and seaworthy boats...well you have to pay

A test on the 44 by a British magazine :

Here you can find lots of information about the 37:

Interesting Sailboats - Page 262 - SailNet Community

Interesting Sailboats - Page 298 - SailNet Community
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 15:56   #3

Ahhh, it seems I have not made myself understood! The impeccable reputation as a cruiser, I am fully aware but as a performance boat, that is new to me! I saw a review on the Solaris 44, the boat of interest, on yachtingworld and was very impressed but could not attain other reviews! I will certainly analyze the posted link, and if you could lead me to others I would be most grateful!!
Old 30-10-2012, 16:01   #4

Oops, didn't even notice the posted link was the one I had previously seen! On a previous point, could you direct me to aclaimed websites, the others I generally take with a grain of salt. That's just the abib in me !
Old 30-10-2012, 19:20   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnC40sailor View Post
Ahhh, it seems I have not made myself understood! The impeccable reputation as a cruiser, I am fully aware but as a performance boat, that is new to me! I saw a review on the Solaris 44, the boat of interest, on yachtingworld and was very impressed but could not attain other reviews! I will certainly analyze the posted link, and if you could lead me to others I would be most grateful!!

Oops, didn't even notice the posted link was the one I had previously seen! On a previous point, could you direct me to aclaimed websites, the others I generally take with a grain of salt. That's just the abib in me !
Well, it is difficult to consider not aclaimed a thread that has more than 600000 hits, half of them on the last year.

Regarding Solaris the boats are primarily luxury performance cruisers not properly cruiser racers like less known Italian boats like Mylius, Sly or It.

It is more easy to find now information on the Solaris 37 because it is a new boat (you have tests on Italian Magazines and a very good test on voile and voiliers) while the 44 has already some years. At the time I remember to have read tests on Italian magazines but on the net I can only find the one from Y&S, here it is:

http://www.solarisyachts.com/img/fck...laris%2044.pdf

You can find here a test on the Solaris 48:

Download*|*YACHT.DE

Regarding the 44 if you are really interested on the boat the best you can do is to book a test sail. Nothing substitutes a proper test sail. you can book it here for next Mars:

Test Sail a Solaris « Richard Baldwin Yachts News
Old 26-01-2017, 06:47   #6

Boat: Hanse 508

Does anybody have any experiences on the new Solaris 50 ("Boat Of The Year 2015")? I had the chance to see her in Dusseldorf but got a very bad introduction. I wonder how you can sell luxury boats like that.
tobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 07:48   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobo View Post
Does anybody have any experiences on the new Solaris 50 ("Boat Of The Year 2015")? I had the chance to see her in Dusseldorf but got a very bad introduction. I wonder how you can sell luxury boats like that.
It is not only that one. Amazingly (or not) the dealers most time don't have a clue about what they are selling. Not naming brands, this year at Dusseldorf a guy wanted to make me believe that "his" boat had a solid pvc core, another one that the reinforcements under the stress points (cleats and so on) were made of brass, another that his big boat with a hull with only a single skin and not a particular thick one had a particularly rigid hull and another one that did not know exactly what core was on the hull of his boat, Later, after asking to somebody, found out that it was a single skin hull.

As usual it was particularly difficult or impossible to look to the boat structure or the way keels were bolted but I saw a very agreeable surprise that shows that boat structure finally starts to be a valid argument for selling a boat: Several boats had a plexiglass over the keel or structural zone to show it and others showed outside the boat structure and several other constructive details.

Obviously that the ones that made that were the ones that had reasons to be proud about that. I do really hope they have success doing that, I mean commercially, even if for that to be really successful the others that don't show it, because they have no particular reason to be very proud, start to show them.

We all can help that to happen: When at the boat show ask them to show the keel structure and the keel bolts. Even if they don't show it to you, they will notice that sailors are interested in that. Maybe one day that will interest so muchs as how well the boat is finished.
Old 26-01-2017, 07:55   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

Try YM. They seem to be vested or otherwise interested. Every time I open the magazine there is some Solaris this or Euphoria that. But I can't see these boats sailing anywhere. Perhaps they are a Med thing.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 08:47   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Try YM. They seem to be vested or otherwise interested. Every time I open the magazine there is some Solaris this or Euphoria that. But I can't see these boats sailing anywhere. Perhaps they are a Med thing.

b.
Yachting Monthly? I doubt, that is one of the more conservatively British sailing magazines. Yachting World would provide a less biased information unless you really want a conservative yacht, a thing Solaris is not.

Solaris were always expensive boats and has expensive boats with a small production so it is natural that you don't see many. The shipyard, that is a family owned one, exists since 1974, first doing repairs and since 1977 doing boats that quickly acquired a reputation of top quality at a fair price.
An old one:

An even older one and one of the more popular, the Solais 39 from almost 40 years ago. I bet some here still like their 37 old design more seaworthy and nicer than the new designs LOL

What is new recently is the increase in number of sales and the increased shipyard production that had turned for where is the money and the market is in what regard quality yachts: big yachts.

On Dusseldorf this year they showed 4 or 5 yachts, being the smallest of them them a 47. I visit it but the 50, that I visited last year, was nicer, with a dinghy garage and all, designed for not many living aboard with great comfort.

These are pretty much semi custom boats and they will be happy to adapt it to sailor's requirements, in what regards many aspect like handholds, dodgers and so on. I don't find then expensive for the quality they offer.

Regarding building, many times pictures tells more than words:

Some interesting information here;
Yard - Solaris Yachts
Old 26-01-2017, 09:00   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Yachting Monthly? I doubt, that is one of the more conservatively British sailing magazines. Yachting World would provide a less biased information unless you really want a conservative yacht, a thing Solaris is not.
You are right. Be it YW.

Unbiased? My tongue in my cheek.

Expensive or not. Oysters are not less expensive and we see 5 or 10 new ones every year here. I cannot remember last time I have seen a Solaris. Ah, yes, in the most recent YW!

They must be a purely Med something. Try Palma de Mallorca, Thesalloniki and Dubrovnik.

b.
Old 26-01-2017, 11:15   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Expensive or not. Oysters are not less expensive and we see 5 or 10 new ones every year here. I cannot remember last time I have seen a Solaris. Ah, yes, in the most recent YW!

They must be a purely Med something. Try Palma de Mallorca, Thesalloniki and Dubrovnik.

b.
Oysters start to be popular in big numbers long ago while Solaris just started in what regards being a very small high quality brand with very few boats made each year. Besides they are different boats, Oyster are main market boats luxury boats, attracting a bigger number of sailors.

Solaris is a performance cruiser and as such prefered by a smaller number of cruisers, the same that would chose a Grand Soleil, a Arcona or a new Swan. That does not mean that the boats are less appropriate to sail offshore or to cross oceans, only that the ones that prefer to do that on that type of boat are less.

Even if the boat is only start to be sold in anything other than confidential numbers two had made the ARC in recent years, one this year.

You have been distracted

The one that made the ARC this year was a "small" Solaris one 42 and curiously an American flagged boat. Probably an American that come to europe to get one. A sister ship of this one:

Old 26-01-2017, 15:38   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post

(...)

The one that made the ARC this year was a "small" Solaris one 42 and curiously an American flagged boat. Probably an American that come to europe to get one. A sister ship of this one:
He did not come to Europe. He came to Italy. You know most US Americans are not quite aware there are other places in Europe than Italy. I mean those who do know Europe is not a country. ;-)

It is sort of like going to Germany to buy a boat.

One way or another you end up with a Bavaria.

;-)

I like German beer and Italian wine. Boats ...

b.