Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2018, 15:07   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Southern Cross 31
Solar question

I have one solar panel, and one controller feeding one battery, to charge both batteries, i switch to "both" this charges both batteries. I wanted to back up the system, with another solar panel, and another controller, feeding the second battery, so that both batteries would charge independently, and if one system packed up, I still have the other important, because I intend to spend a long time cruising when I leave.

What I am wondering is, if I do that, will it still be ok to switch the battery switch to both, which will allow both individual solar systems to be in contact with each other, I am presuming it would be ok, but just wondered if there is something about it I should know.
atlantical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 18:58   #2

Boat: 1985 Ericson 32-3
Re: Solar question

You want to learn about bypass and breaker diodes. Cheap for a DIY project or you can buy plug-n-play online.
https://www.solar-facts.com/panels/panel-diodes.php
Checkswrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 22:28   #3

Boat: Island Packet 40

Should not hurt anything but there are voltage controlled relays available if you wanted to automate the system. I had multiple SP arrays and regulators feeding my single large bank of house batteries on my last boat and it worked OK for years.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 07:41   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Short direct answer:
No worries....you can turn to "both" without hurting anything. That's what the solar controllers do...
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 07:49   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

As Rich says. Previously we had a 80w and a 30w panel wired through two PWM controllers to the house and engine battery. The batteries were linked with a VSR once the voltage exceeded 12.8.

Today we have 150w and 30w solar wired through 2 Victron MPPT controllers again wired to house and engine batteries. Neither installation has caused any problems and both controllers play nicely together.

Oh and why two controllers? it was easier to wire up rather than long wires threaded through the interior of the boat.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:25   #6

Boat: B24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkswrecks View Post
You want to learn about bypass and breaker diodes. Cheap for a DIY project or you can buy plug-n-play online.
https://www.solar-facts.com/panels/panel-diodes.php
Scanned the site -- but -- I wish someone could point me towards a marine/mobile-solar-for-idiots book/site (you know – a cookbook). I’ve bought a couple but they assume knowledge I don’t have (I topped out on WinXT and a slide-phone – electrons and I are from different solar systems; what’s a diode…), but sure would like to add solar (DIY) to our ODay. Our electrical loads are quite light compared to many I read about, but…
Old 02-11-2018, 10:32   #7

Boat: Westsail 28

Larry , just keep it simple that's what I did . The controll does the regulating you don't have to worry about a thing .
Here is my controller https://genasun.com/all-products/sol...ge-controller/
Here is my panel https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rich-Solar-...6Nw:rk:32:pf:0
The key ingredients are a MPPT controller and a Monocrystalline panel I like the semi felx type panel they are light . This set up is plug and play . Panel plugs into the controller controller goes to the battery .
I built a simple frame that the panel screws onto and then clips to the life line fence , a short pole going down to the toe rail keeps it at the right angle .
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:14   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrng View Post
Scanned the site -- but -- I wish someone could point me towards a marine/mobile-solar-for-idiots book/site (you know – a cookbook). >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Larry. You could start here, please read the entire thread, which includes the first post with highlights and further reading leads to even more links and to books! None of us was born an electrician.

Electrical Systems 101 Electrical Systems 101

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:39   #9

Boat: B24

Stu, Mark -- thanks (am reading...)
Old 04-11-2018, 12:28   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Southern Cross 31

Thank for the replies, for some reason, the replies didn't go to my email, I thought the thread had not been posted, just found it by accident. Need to see what is happening with my e mail. Thanks
atlantical is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar