Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-10-2010, 01:28   #1

Solar Panels on Crealock 37

Im trying to figure out the best arrangement for solar panels on a 37 foot pacific seacraft. I currently have a an 80 watt panel on each side mounted to the lifelines, but this is not enough to keep my bateries charged when the fridge is running. Any 37 owners out there have a setup that would ad a couple hundred more watts? Thanks for sharing.

s/v viandante
granche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:46   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You might want to size out your load (how much draw you put on the batteries), and also comment on how big your battery bank is (in terms of amp hours/AH), and what type of batteries they are.

When sizing load it was helpful for me to make two profiles: one for underway and another for at anchor/mooring since they tend to be very different (running lights and vhf underway all night, watching a movie in the evenings at anchor, etc).
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 15:32   #3

My battery bank is about 500 amp hours. I have cheap flooded batteries but think I will go to agm so I want to be able to keep them as charged as possible. Im not sure what kind of a load I put on them. Alder Barbour fridge takes 4/5 amps pretty regularly. Anchor light will be LED so that should be minimal. Underway I usualy have a chart-plotter running and only use autopilot when the engine is running. Im mostly interested in seeing where people have installed panels on crealock 37s. What type of arch might be available for its canoe stern, different strategies for side mounts etc. Thanks.
granche1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: