Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2015, 15:24   #16

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5
Re: So, what's the catch with these boats?

Go for the Oyster. Beautiful yacht (as they all are in their own way), but far more have been made, they have a higher 'status' in the world and therefore (for you) better re-sale when the time comes. Spare parts should be easier to obtain, and you are more likely to be able to find expert advice for tricky problems that may occur from time to time. There is a reason why Oyster have earned their place in the yachting world !
Just consider that if you are going to go for something this size, there will be many ports that are 'out of bounds' to you due to draft and length (even with our 'little' 50 footer, we have restrictions here and there). But if you can live with that and afford the up-keep, then go for it and make the most of it. Life is way too short - just do it, and keep us up to date on your adventures..
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 15:49   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by secrabtree View Post
leftbrainstuff - said like a true cruiser with little racing experience (though you may have racing experience). Yest, boats that have been raced extensively usually do have some more wear and tear than boats that haven't. That's true. Boats of the same age that haven't been raced have, by and large, left their berth in a marina a few hours a year. Very few have been really cruised extensively. "Bugs" have not been found. Rigging errors made by the dealer haven't been found and corrected. In the few years (22) that I cruised and delivered boats within the triangle bounded by Puerto Vallarta - Hawaii - Seattle I have noted that raceboats and ex-raceboats were usually better equipped with necessities and had fewer useless equipment, better maintained rigging and sailing equipment (like winches, etc.). Coincidentally, I found the same differences in the skippers that I've met - racers and ex-racers vs "never raced". I always felt safer delivering a raceboat or ex-raceboat. And it always took less work prepping the racer for a long passage.

Makes sense to me.
Old 15-04-2015, 16:26   #18

Boat: Hunter 36

The other boats are no suprises, but at $519K, that Vallicelli 70 looks like a hell of a bargain. I can only assume something is wrong with it...
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 17:22   #19

Boat: Able 50

Maybe the likely upkeep bills ?
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 23:57   #20

The only catch? The one that rips your pocket and makes your wallet bleed, or should that be hemorrhage.
seven south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 04:41   #21

Boat: 2012 Tartan 47

There's no INFORMATION on the Oyster; no engine time, no electronics, nada. I think the listing ALONE is strange.
RichandHelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 13:51   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
I'm starting to get the impression that you are trying to make us all think you are something you are not. I doubt most people here on CF are falling for it, nor are they the type to be impressed so, please, save your breath....
That would be the most idiotic thing to do or to be. I am curious about these prices and the difference between them and other offerings on the web. However, if that makes you restless, thank you for sharing it as well...
MehmetCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 02:36   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
The other boats are no suprises, but at $519K, that Vallicelli 70 looks like a hell of a bargain. I can only assume something is wrong with it...
My thoughts exactly. 519k for a full carbon 70 footer can't be explained otherwise...
MehmetCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 21:08   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MehmetCan View Post
I am curious about these prices and the difference between them and other offerings on the web.
Don't really know what to tell you. There is an almost an infinite number of secondhand boats available, and prices are all over the map: influenced by multiple factors such as age, condition, location, and the sellers' vague sense of what the market will likely bear.

If you can narrow down your search and are able to ask specific questions, you may well receive more useful advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichandHelen View Post
There's no INFORMATION on the Oyster; no engine time, no electronics, nada. I think the listing ALONE is strange.
You're right; but it's only an ad.

The boat is being sold by Oyster Brokerage. Oyster likely has a pretty complete service history, and the broker can no doubt provide full details upon request.

I agree that there is no apparent reason for secrecy. It would probably save time for all concerned if comprehensive info was simply made available as part of the listing … but Oyster tends to do things their own way (which puts many people off. Too bad, as they make nice boats).
Svanen is offline   Reply With Quote