Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-11-2014, 19:29   #1

So We Bought a Boat

My wife and I were about to purchase a Jaguar 28, but was running into issues delaying the purchase so we looked around. We finally settled on a 1964 Cal 28 in pretty decent shape for a price we couldn't pass up.

We both are just learning how to sail, and the goal with this boat is to learn the basics, maybe take it to the Bahamas, Keys or the Dry Tortugas. We are both excited as this is our first boat.

Any pros and cons to this boat? Won't change our minds since the price was so affordable if it's a wreck we won't miss out too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 14-11-2014, 04:45   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
re: So We Bought a Boat

Congratulations on the new (to you) boat.

Am not familiar specifically with the 28 but Cal boats in general have a very good reputation. I would of course check on the regular list of concerns for any boat of that age.

- Rigging and look closely at the chainplates and the attachment to the boat.

- Rudder and steering

- Engine. What kind of power? Inboards are nice but if original may need some TLC.

Maybe give more details about the boat.

Good luck and have fun.

Old 14-11-2014, 05:50   #3

Congrats
Old 14-11-2014, 08:00   #4

Boat: Catalina 30 Tall Rig

Congratulations! I agree (and know from recent experience) that close attention needs to be paid to your engine and contributing systems. Boats on the market tend to sit unused more than they should. With my recent purchase I inherited a diesel in great shape. What wasn't apparent was how contaminated the fuel line had become from old, festering diesel that sat in the tank for lord knows how long.
Old 14-11-2014, 09:09   #5

Boat: Scout 30

My main concern would be draft. For the area you're planning on cruising shallow draft is a real plus.
Old 14-11-2014, 09:35   #6

Cal 28s have an outboard in a well in the back which is being worked on and I will definitely look at rigging

Old 14-11-2014, 09:47   #7

Boat: Niagara 35

Congratulations! I think you made a great choice as far as size and manufacturer.

The standard advice would be to have a surveyor look at it and tell you what's what. That can be pretty expensive for a cheap boat, so you may want to find a friend with a boat (or even a dock neighbour) who who will take half an hour to poke around the boat and tell you what they think about what maintenance you'll want to do.

From this day forward you will have "the boat list" and it will never be done. Luckily, boat maintenance can be fun and very satisfying.
Old 14-11-2014, 10:14   #8

Congratulations. A 28 foot boat is a prime example of a big small boat and a small big boat. It is a great size to learn on.

Don't know what your background in sailing and boat maintenance is, but these four books could take you anywhere:

Boatowners Illustrated Electrical Handbook Charilie WING

Nigel Calder's Boatowners Manual for Mechanical & Electrical Systems and his Cruisers Handbook

Don Casey's This Old Boat

Fair winds.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2014, 10:16   #9

Thank you I appreciate it. I've never sailed before, but the previous owner is great. He's actually including a few sailing lessons with the boat, as well as continuing to work on the boat to help out. Still needs other things worked on but for the price as long as it moves in good for the time being while slowly upgrading

Old 14-11-2014, 11:04   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Grats! Just remember the adage, " if is seems to good to be true, it probably is." Buyer remorse with a boat can be expensive not from lose of investment alone.

Not meaning to sound negative just be careful.
Old 14-11-2014, 11:18   #11

Will do we went in knowing we will have to put money into it and we are both excited ... This bot is mainly to learn and within the next few years move to a better or bigger boat

Old 14-11-2014, 11:56   #12

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

I've seen posts on derelict abandoned vessels behind, "This is a training vessel, I'll be upgrading to a bigger vessel."

I know Charter can be expensive, however the repair costs, marketing costs to sell, holding costs (insurance, registration,yearly taxes.) compound to eat a large hole in the funds for the vessel which will meet your needs.. Repairs will preserve some of your funds, provided you find a buyer willing to pay your or far market price. You could take the tax credit and donate the vessel to a charity, saving the marketing costs and reduce the holding costs by the time it would have set while on the market.
Taking courses and volunteering as a club member will preserve a lot of capital especially when factoring in sailing days versus tied to the dock days. Boat owners always have, to do lists and would appreciate help with them.
Just my two cents and worth what you paid for it.
Old 14-11-2014, 12:17   #13

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonesoldier0408 View Post
I've seen posts on derelict abandoned vessels behind, "This is a training vessel, I'll be upgrading to a bigger vessel."

I know Charter can be expensive, however the repair costs, marketing costs to sell, holding costs (insurance, registration,yearly taxes.) compound to eat a large hole in the funds for the vessel which will meet your needs.. Repairs will preserve some of your funds, provided you find a buyer willing to pay your or far market price. You could take the tax credit and donate the vessel to a charity, saving the marketing costs and reduce the holding costs by the time it would have set while on the market.
Taking courses and volunteering as a club member will preserve a lot of capital especially when factoring in sailing days versus tied to the dock days. Boat owners always have, to do lists and would appreciate help with them.
Just my two cents and worth what you paid for it.
You stated my post better than me.
Old 14-11-2014, 14:26   #14

Boat: '83 Catalina 30

Congratulations, now the fun begins!
I'm also new to "big boats" and besides the good advice offered above, I would pay particular attention to the condition of your standing rigging. Mine passed the survey with flying colors but within 2 months I needed to replace the inner shrouds and hardware. Luckily I saw several "fish hooks" forming from broken wire and had a $75 rigging inspection performed by a rigging shop before the whole rig went into the bay! Point being - sometimes paying an expert will save you in the long run.

Also - subscribe to "Practical Sailor' magazine - it's full of DIY boat tips and it'll also save you a bundle!

happy sailing
Old 14-11-2014, 17:28   #15

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: So We Bought a Boat

Shizog4,

Something no one has recommended you check so far, are the keel boats. Basically, this means having the boat in slings, undoing the nuts on the keel bolts, bracing the keel, and raising the boat off. What you're hoping to find is no more than surface corrosion on the bolts, no cracks or pits, and then then you can put her back together again. Obviously, there's a little more to it than that (sounds good when I say it fast). Do not use 3m 5200 for the seal, it will bond too well to the fiberglass. Use 4200 or Sika flex, formulated for underwater use [read the label carefully].

Enjoy,

Ann

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: