Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2014, 22:30   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: Smaller Bluewater Cruising Monos

A boat not mentioned often because very few of them built, but extremely capable, is the Nebe Cape 28 out of South Africa.

You should be able to pick up a well founded one for ~$15K or less. Many came with the Volvo Penta, which is probably not the motor you want for a RTW.
Old 18-08-2014, 22:36   #32

So far, we haven't really done any distance sailing, so take this with a grain of salt...

But we love our W32. One of the nice things about it is that there were about 800 W32s built. This big a base of boats insure that the price stays down and parts continue to be available for them. Westsailparts.com provides really reasonable rates on parts that would otherwise be custom jobs.

So they're old and slow. Comfortable in a seaway but not in a chop. They're cheap and strong.
Old 19-08-2014, 04:28   #33

Boat: AHD windsurfer :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
But we love our W32.
Comfortable in a seaway but not in a chop.
Could you please explain further, I would have thought a heavy boat for LOA would be more comfortable in choppy conditions than a lighter boat?
Old 19-08-2014, 04:54   #34

Boat: Spacesailer 20

At this point, I'm leaning toward the Westsail 32 and then the Albin Vega 27. This is not to say that there has been a final decision. Of course, there hasn't. But after a lot of the research that I've done and many of the very good posts here I am, as I said leaning toward these two boats. One of the issues is proven safety and long term, long-distance liveaboard and passage making.

I will continue to look and have further discussions, so that when it is time, a proper decision will be made.

Thanks for all of the encouraging and positive posts. I really like the videos and blog from Chuck and Laura Rose on the SV Lea Lea. This Long term cruising couple has provided much insight into the life aboard a vessel like I am expecting to sail. I especially liked the honesty of both Chuck and Laura when it came to some of the decisions that they made and the negative ramifications of those decisions. It is quite refreshing that they aren't afraid to demonstrate what the real cruising life is.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 19-08-2014, 05:01   #35

Boat: a sailing boat

What boats under 30' could reasonably and safely make the journey.

Some will, but given the extra cost of a quality pocket cruiser, I would seriously consider some boats in the +30 range as viable, and at times safer, alternatives. They do not cost more but they may bring extra tankage, storage, displacement, comfort and possibly better seagoing qualities too.

What are the costs for over land movement of a boat of the under 30' size in Panama if I'm coming via the east coast.

A new canal is being built:
Nicaragua Canal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Land movement possible but not required. Sailing boats are accepted to go a tad bit slower than the regular speed.

Re boats under 30', read Webb Chiles blog.

http://www.inthepresentsea.com/the_a.../object013.jpg

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 07:48   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
What boats under 30' could reasonably and safely make the journey.

Some will, but given the extra cost of a quality pocket cruiser, I would seriously consider some boats in the +30 range as viable, and at times safer, alternatives. They do not cost more but they may bring extra tankage, storage, displacement, comfort and possibly better seagoing qualities too.

What are the costs for over land movement of a boat of the under 30' size in Panama if I'm coming via the east coast.

A new canal is being built:
Nicaragua Canal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Land movement possible but not required. Sailing boats are accepted to go a tad bit slower than the regular speed.

Re boats under 30', read Webb Chiles blog.

http://www.inthepresentsea.com/the_a.../object013.jpg

Cheers,
b.
They apparently are stricter now in applying the 8 knot minimum speed under power.

http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/Pa...R2012-03-14-3/

Extra charges if you can't. Heck that is more than hull speed for most of us.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 19-08-2014, 08:21   #37

Boat: 74 Westsail 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanowens1966 View Post
I'm particularly fond of the Westsail 32. It's look is the style I prefer and its build seems quite sturdy. I just don't think I can afford this boat.

Have any of you who have posted already done this passage? I think a boat of 27-35 feet would require about 32-40 days for this passage is that about right?
Being the other side of Target9000 (Tate) I just have to get in on this conversation. Our Westsail 32 Sundowner has made it around the world 3 times over 30 years, so I know it can be done in these boats. We absolutely love it and while our refit has cost us way more than expected ($100k total including purchase price) there are many Westsails I see going for sale these days at a lot cheaper and already having gone under refits. You could probably get one in need of very little work for $50k. Add about $20k for some safety updates and electronics and you'd be "good to go". Check on the Westsail website and forums for these boats.

Many of these boats have just approached or are over 40 years old now and so find themselves being refitted.

I find our boat to be VERY comfortable and heavy. We have sailed Sundowner 130 miles to Gulf Shores and back and also another Westsail in the Harvest Moon Regatta 150 miles in the Gulf with 7 seven people and found it to be very comfortable.

Anyways that's my bit, goodluck!

https://sundownersailsagain.com
Danibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 09:12   #38

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Make sure you walk around a Vega. I love the layout topsides, but if you're over 5'6", you'll find yourself stooping a lot. A little overly optimistic in the specifications.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 09:54   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparau View Post
Could you please explain further, I would have thought a heavy boat for LOA would be more comfortable in choppy conditions than a lighter boat?
As with all things nautical, this is mostly true, but not always. There are a lot more factors than just weight and length. The W32 is built with a really bulky bow and stern that has both weight and buoyancy. So when going into a chop she'll start to hobby horse because both ends crash down hard but want to bob right up. If the wave frequency gets such that she is taking waves on one end before she has finished dealing with the wave on the other end it can get pretty bouncy.

I know you can do things to reduce these problems like centralizing weight and whatnot, but our old gal will never quite take a chop like the modern boats and their pointy bows.

In seas where the wave period is longer but the waves are bigger though, its a different story. The boat will hold its coarse and feels comfortable and safe.
Old 19-08-2014, 10:32   #40

Cape Dory 30, Westsail 32, Alberg 30 etc are likely the way to go. Find one that someone else has put their lifeblood into so you don't have to though!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 10:39   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
For a budget of $50K you should be able to find a decent W32 including cost to prep the boat. Take a look at this one.

CLEMENTIA II - W32

Rule of thumb for a boat around 30' is 100 nm/day average on a long passage. 27' might be a bit less 35' or so might average a bit more.

Once you hit the trades if it's not an El Niño year and the winds are steady and with a bit of current helping you might do a good bit better.
WOW! That looks like a helluva deal! The boat is loaded and they are asking $28k for it. If there are no major problems... it also has 56 hp engine... which is a plus... I've seen WS32's with as low as 13 hp in them... and it's not enough. Factory finished boat too... Somebody buy this boat NOW!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 10:41   #42

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post

They apparently are stricter now in applying the 8 knot minimum speed under power.

Procedures for Transiting the Panama Canal — Noonsite

Extra charges if you can't. Heck that is more than hull speed for most of us.
From your linked source (bold front from myself):

"... The optimum minimum speed to transit the Canal, is 8 knots. The Canal Authority may deny transit if a handline vessel (i.e. a yacht) cannot maintain a minimum speed of 5 knots..."

The source you linked is from 2012; I know boats that transited in 2013 and 2014 none of which could attain 8 knots, each of them could make the minimum 5 knots. None got fined, nor denied transit.

As you say they are stricter now, any links to reports of boats that got fined or denied?

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 10:59   #43

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

DISCLAIMER: i have never done this, just read it on blogs from those who have. Namely one I remember is the log files for the ilawani. So I am not claiming to "know" anything. Only sharing hat I have read.

From what I understand from reading blogs about traversing the Panama Canal is that they make the yachts group up and raft together like Mississippi River barges, then a canal authority captain takes the conn of the raft.

I don't see how a raft can move very quickly through the locks, but it's gotta be faster than individual boats trying to jockey into position each time. No way they are moving at 8 knots or even 5 under their own power in a raft.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 11:00   #44

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

What I fogot to write about is, the canal authority is in the business of making money (or at least supporting itself). Traffic that slows down commerce is a hit on their bottom line. That's why they have speed minimums.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 14:11   #45

Boat: 74 Westsail 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
WOW! That looks like a helluva deal! The boat is loaded and they are asking $28k for it. If there are no major problems... it also has 56 hp engine... which is a plus... I've seen WS32's with as low as 13 hp in them... and it's not enough. Factory finished boat too... Somebody buy this boat NOW!
Here is another that looks well "redone" REPRISE

https://sundownersailsagain.com
Danibug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, water