Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2014, 21:28   #1

Small live-aboard for under $8,000

Hey guys,

I'm 17, looking for a small live-aboard sailboat to spend the summer on the gulf. Sanibel island location, would love to sail to the keys, tortugas, Bimini ect. Im an athlete...when in port at sanibel, daily trips to the gym + training would occur. Rest of the day and nights are spent on the boat. Looked at pacific seacraft flicka...but seemed above my price range. Love to fish. Love the ocean. Low cost living a priority. Daily trips to post office and internet access also necessary for my small business. Looking for something ready to sail doesn't have to be pretty. Let me know your thoughts.
glowprofishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 21:40   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Small live-aboard for under $8,000

craigslist is an excellent source. Where are you?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 21:41   #3
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44

If that is all your doing go down to every dockmaster and say I have 5k and want to buy a boat. Like the above poster states you could search criagslist. But many boats (actually worth 8k or more) will never be seen online. One of my insane friends actually just bought a demasted 2000 Beneteau 32 for 10k following the trick I'm telling you next.

The trick is calling yards and service places and seeing if you can pay off the lien on a boat to acquire it. A lot of yards have boats that need a lot of TLC but are willing to turn over the title they have acquired since the owner as gone absent and the yard fees exceed the value of the boat. Most of these boats are nothing more than space holders and costing the yard money. So you could negotiate sometimes paying off a lein worth way more than 8k many times.

As a word of WARNING any boat at 8k in the size range for a reasonable liveaboard is going to be a project boat. And your physical fitness and strong will can't make a boat sail safely anywhere.

Get ready to start reading a lot and asking a lot of questions. Also do it. Don't be afraid to learn to deal with a project. If all fails you just learned a lot of useful information and gained a ton of new friends and skills.
satdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 22:06   #4

Yes, craigslist is great. I'll check out those islanders. Any other suggestions?
Old 21-02-2014, 22:07   #5

Old 21-02-2014, 22:11   #6

Boat: 52' Crealock Farrington staysail schooner

I suggest first buy a roomy dock box and linger in a marina unnoticed until you see the boat that just needs a home and take it. Otherwise, small sailboats dont make as good liveaboards as cool old power boats. More room and less depending on seaworthyness.
barnaclejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 22:12   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdiver View Post
If that is all your doing go down to every dockmaster and say I have 5k and want to buy a boat. Like the above poster states you could search criagslist. But many boats (actually worth 8k or more) will never be seen online. One of my insane friends actually just bought a demasted 2000 Beneteau 32 for 10k following the trick I'm telling you next.

The trick is calling yards and service places and seeing if you can pay off the lien on a boat to acquire it. A lot of yards have boats that need a lot of TLC but are willing to turn over the title they have acquired since the owner as gone absent and the yard fees exceed the value of the boat. Most of these boats are nothing more than space holders and costing the yard money. So you could negotiate sometimes paying off a lein worth way more than 8k many times.

As a word of WARNING any boat at 8k in the size range for a reasonable liveaboard is going to be a project boat. And your physical fitness and strong will can't make a boat sail safely anywhere.

Get ready to start reading a lot and asking a lot of questions. Also do it. Don't be afraid to learn to deal with a project. If all fails you're only out 8k.
I love that idea. Didn't even think of it. There is no lack of boat yards in FL. I will drive around and do exactly that...maybe even work at the yard a few weeks to pay it off. A pacific seacraft flicka would be great...I could use it to cross oceans as I get older...however, there are only 650 flickas left. I will do some searches and see what I can find at a boat yard. Thank you for that suggestion!
Old 21-02-2014, 22:14   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnaclejim View Post
I suggest first buy a roomy dock box and linger in a marina unnoticed until you see the boat that just needs a home and take it. Otherwise, small sailboats dont make as good liveaboards as cool old power boats. More room and less depending on seaworthyness.
Another great idea. I can live on a beat up boat for a few months and cruise marinas until something appears.
Old 21-02-2014, 22:25   #9

I have no problem buying a boat that needs work...my only fear is that I'm not very handy when it comes to stuff like that, guess I will have to learn with a budget this low.
Old 21-02-2014, 22:31   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowprofishing View Post
I love that idea. Didn't even think of it. There is no lack of boat yards in FL. I will drive around and do exactly that...maybe even work at the yard a few weeks to pay it off. A pacific seacraft flicka would be great...I could use it to cross oceans as I get older...however, there are only 650 flickas left. I will do some searches and see what I can find at a boat yard. Thank you for that suggestion!
Glad you like my advice. But one step at a time. No boat you'll get at 8k is going to be worth the investment to equip for making ocean passages.

I'm talking about getting a boat you can fix up to sail to Cat Cay or Bimini and sail coastal around the gulf and Atlantic.

A good book you should read is Dove. As you're reading keep in mind Robin Lee Graham was not a inexperienced sailor at 16 and was highly competent in math and celestial navigation. His first boat was a junker and sponsors had to buy him another boat early in the trip because the original could not survive the circumnavigation. Also remember his daddy was a pretty wealthy Lawyer in LA.

Use the 8k boat to learn how to sail and lose your money on maintenance. This will make you great at buying boats in the future.

You're going at it right. Keep us posted on your progress. I was once were you are at now and I don't regret a moment of life I've spent on any boat I've ever owned. I got my first junker at 16 and it took me to all the right places and I met all the right people that helped me become the sailor I am now. I did not make big ocean voyages on them but those old rough boats I had for the first 15 years were my tools. to find the boats I could do voyages on.
Old 21-02-2014, 23:30   #11
cruiser

Also I recommend any of Lin and Larry Pardey books but not their book on storm tactics any edition. They are great sailors but most of the heavy weather advice is not sufficient for the types of boats you'd be in the market for. Fatty Goodlander has a lot of great material. Gary Jobson has also written a book or two.

Don't be scared to call anyone and everyone you can to get advice. Look up sailmakers and tell them what you want to do. A good sailmaker is a wealth of information.

Walk your local docks and just ask questions. You'd be surprised who'd help you out. Research everything like your doing now.

Once you find a boat in your budget you like start calling around and posting as many questions as you have.

I did not have forums when I bought my first girl so I typically talked to sailmakers for pricing new sails and rigging, yard workers (which I was) for learning build quality and brokers to understand my resell value of your project.

I also found this little free documentary you could watch made by a kid close to your age that was working a budget less than yours.

Although these kids are on the opposite end of the political and social spectrum I'm on I think they did a very good job with how they explained getting their boat, fixing it up and using it. I only hope more kids watch this doc and ignore the senseless rhetoric and get inspired by their ingenuity.

Hold Fast on Vimeo
Old 21-02-2014, 23:46   #12
cruiser

here is a very good small boat doc
Old 22-02-2014, 04:37   #13
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

i'm pretty sure you can find a pacific seacraft flicka for under 80000
Old 22-02-2014, 05:06   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

glowpro

There are a bunch of great starter boats here on CF... I've pointed out a few before.... Really smokin' deals....

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...6k-120097.html

For Sale or Trade: Catalina Capri 25 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Browse in the classified section here...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 05:38   #15

Boat: West Wight Potter 19

If you are thinking about going this small in size I would recommend a West Wight Potter 19. They are only one foot shorter than your dream boat Flika.
Just like you plan on doing, I spend the summers sailing up and down the east coast from North Carolina on down. Sometimes my wife joins me in the adventures. Does the boat feel cramped? I do not feel like it. But I am only 5'8"tall. slim built and at 42 of age I am surprisingly flexible to fit in all those tight places. Good yoga exercise!!!! The retractable keel makes the boat beachable, so you will not need a dinghy.
You will also save a lot of $ on storage and maintenance since you can put the boat on the trailer for the winter month. Bottom line you will not depend on any boat yards for any maintenance. For 8000 you can find a 10 year old WWP 19 in sail away condition.
The boat itself is well built and with an eye on weather I feel safe sailing it offshore all the time. IS it bumpy? Sure, but again I do not mind as I do not get sea sick and is good exercise. This summer, hopefully I can make it all the way to Fl Keys and if time /weather permits, I plan on crossing to Bahamas. I heard a guy sailed one from west coast all the way to Hawaii.
In the winter the boat makes a great man cave right there in my driveway. I spent countless hours reading CF posts, drinking beer and just thinking about life and the next sailing and fishing season.....Good luck to you........Constantin
rakedfront1 is offline   Reply With Quote