Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2014, 17:03   #31
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,365
Re: Small live-aboard for under $8,000

Yeah, hard to love a Dana 24 and have to buy a Catalina! But, once you're out on the water... it's all good!
__________________

__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 19:35   #32
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: So Cal
Boat: Catalina 30
Posts: 943
Re: Small live-aboard for under $8,000

That $6k catalina 27 would be ideal. Gotta be something like that in fla. Living aboard the catalina would be bigger than the flika. And cheaper. Not as Bluewater but cheaper, more available, easy to fix, and faster.
__________________

__________________
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 19:38   #33
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 39
Re: Small live-aboard for under $8,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdiver View Post
What an incredible documentary!!!
__________________
glowprofishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 19:48   #34
Senior Cruiser
 
SkiprJohn's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kea'au, Big Island, Hawaii
Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Posts: 14,192
Re: Small live-aboard for under $8,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnaclejim View Post
I suggest first buy a roomy dock box and linger in a marina unnoticed until you see the boat that just needs a home and take it. Otherwise, small sailboats dont make as good liveaboards as cool old power boats. More room and less depending on seaworthyness.
Isn't that theft?
__________________
John
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 19:50   #35
Senior Cruiser
 
SkiprJohn's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kea'au, Big Island, Hawaii
Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Posts: 14,192
Re: Small live-aboard for under $8,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminalcitygrl View Post
Flicka for $11k on a trailer in Reno, Nevada. Has been posted repeatedly, owner wants to sell so maybe could try an offer at $8k?

PACIFIC SEACRAFT "FLICKA" 20/WTRAILER
Flicka is still a very small boat.
__________________
John
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 20:34   #36
Registered User

Join Date: May 2013
Boat: Golden Gate 30
Posts: 80
Re: Small live-aboard for under $8,000

A Flicka sold for $8k a few month ago in TX. She needed work, but was definitely livable. I've looked at the one in Reno, but transportation was an issue for me too. That said, you could probably sell that trailer to recoup your transportation costs.

Also, WWP and Flicka can't really be grouped together. I mean no offense to the owners of either, but they are completely different boats in completely different categories. If anything, just for interior space. The interior of the Flicka has full standing headroom, full galley, most have enclosed heads, etc. They are substantially heavier too. The overall length of the boat is only about 20% of the story with the Flicka

The great part about the Flicka is it's size and capability. She's a lot of boat for 20 feet, but any maintenance work you do will be cheap and easy because she's so small.

There are boats for sale all the time on Craigslist, just use SearchTempest to search 400 miles or so from your zip code and see what you can find!

I also DEFINITELY agree with calling yards and marinas. I see a lot of boats abandoned by owners and the yard just hasn't gone through the effort of getting the title, but with someone willing to pay for it and do the work, they may be willing to go through the effort. It's actually really common in FL, I don't know why. Broken dreams maybe? I've seen some really nice boats here abandoned or in bad shape. It took all the restraint in me to not take home an abandoned NorSea 27 with no rig and a Cape Dory 30 with no interior
__________________
Adodero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 21:47   #37
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 39
Re: Small live-aboard for under $8,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
A Flicka sold for $8k a few month ago in TX. She needed work, but was definitely livable. I've looked at the one in Reno, but transportation was an issue for me too. That said, you could probably sell that trailer to recoup your transportation costs.

Also, WWP and Flicka can't really be grouped together. I mean no offense to the owners of either, but they are completely different boats in completely different categories. If anything, just for interior space. The interior of the Flicka has full standing headroom, full galley, most have enclosed heads, etc. They are substantially heavier too. The overall length of the boat is only about 20% of the story with the Flicka

The great part about the Flicka is it's size and capability. She's a lot of boat for 20 feet, but any maintenance work you do will be cheap and easy because she's so small.

There are boats for sale all the time on Craigslist, just use SearchTempest to search 400 miles or so from your zip code and see what you can find!

I also DEFINITELY agree with calling yards and marinas. I see a lot of boats abandoned by owners and the yard just hasn't gone through the effort of getting the title, but with someone willing to pay for it and do the work, they may be willing to go through the effort. It's actually really common in FL, I don't know why. Broken dreams maybe? I've seen some really nice boats here abandoned or in bad shape. It took all the restraint in me to not take home an abandoned NorSea 27 with no rig and a Cape Dory 30 with no interior
I agree, the Flicka is really in its own category. This sounds ambitious, but I really want to go with a boat capable of crossing oceans, and the Flicka is meant for that. That being said, I realize my budget is very low, and I will need to set at least $500 aside for my first voyage to the Bahamas this summer. From what I understand, a WWP can easily do a voyage to the Bahamas, but it cannot cross oceans, which is my ultimate goal. I will probably end up with a 20 footer (not a flicka)...there is plenty of time to go after my dream boat.
__________________
glowprofishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 21:53   #38
Registered User

Join Date: May 2013
Boat: Golden Gate 30
Posts: 80
Re: Small live-aboard for under $8,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowprofishing View Post
I agree, the Flicka is really in its own category. This sounds ambitious, but I really want to go with a boat capable of crossing oceans, and the Flicka is meant for that. That being said, I realize my budget is very low, and I will need to set at least $500 aside for my first voyage to the Bahamas this summer. From what I understand, a WWP can easily do a voyage to the Bahamas, but it cannot cross oceans, which is my ultimate goal. I will probably end up with a 20 footer (not a flicka)...there is plenty of time to go after my dream boat.
In Florida, I don't think $8k is that unreasonable. I've seen a lot more go for a lot less. It won't be perfect, but it'll work at least.

It's all a matter of timing. I see some great deals show up, then nothing for weeks, then a few more show up again. You can save a lot of money doing work yourself, too.
__________________
Adodero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 03:33   #39
Registered User
 
JK n Smitty's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hingham, MA
Boat: Catalina 310
Posts: 637
Re: Small live-aboard for under $8,000

My thought would be to get the best condition boat for under $5K. That would leave some money for upgrades and repairs. This would probably mean a non-blue water boat.
You are young and will have plenty of time to upgrade to a better boat for going offshore. So you would look at boats like the Catalina 27, cal 2-27, O'Day 272, etc. Any of those in good condition would be fine for sailing around your area and going to the Bahamas.

If you are really stuck on small blue water boats, I would recommend you add the Falmouth Channel Cutter 22 to you list of potentials.

Either way you are way ahead of most. I didn't own my first boat until my late 20s. So keep going with your plan and get out on the water. That is the most important thing.
__________________
http://svsmitty.wordpress.com/
JK n Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 03:42   #40
Registered User
 
Captaintim1's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Saint Augustine FL
Boat: Island Packet 27
Posts: 82
Re: Small live-aboard for under $8,000

I think the cheapest boats are the most expensive boats.... Just my opinion.
__________________
Captaintim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 04:35   #41
Moderator
 
Pete7's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Solent, England
Boat: Moody 31
Posts: 8,562
Images: 14
Re: Small live-aboard for under $8,000

That Albin Vega listed before has to be worth a look. New sails and a diesel ready to go. the lack of photos will put buyers off making the first contact which plays directly into your hands if you are willing to make the effort of going to see.

If you are wondering about the make google "Beserk" I am half way through the book and whilst the skipper is a sausage short of a BBQ, the boat is not. A pair of beaching legs and you could park that anywhere.

Berserk V**** | VAGB - The Vega Association of Great Britain

Pete
__________________
Moody 31 - April Lass
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 08:53   #42
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: Small live-aboard for under $8,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowprofishing View Post
I just checked those boats out...some very good deals to be had. I won't be purachasing until June, so I will keep looking until I find something perfect-a nice cruiser (20'-26') would be great. Now that I have done some more research, I'm starting to think that I can get something for less than 8k ready to sail. The flicka can possibly be my second sailboat. I have to watch the price...coming from my pocket...a return on the investment would be nice. (Not expediting to make money when/if I sell to upgrade, but breaking even would be nice)
Doood.... You've posted lots here, and that's great! You are however.... never... ever.... ever.... going to going to satisfy all your "preferred" qualities on this budget.... The idea would be to start now, and move up as you gain experience and a larger wallet.... If you buy in June, you will likely end up sailing in June 2015... Buy sooner rather than later... The 27 Catalina is a smokin' deal... but you need to factor the cost of leaving it the water... A trailer boat can be parked anywhere for less than $100/mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbluetj View Post
That $6k catalina 27 would be ideal. Gotta be something like that in fla. Living aboard the catalina would be bigger than the flika. And cheaper. Not as Bluewater but cheaper, more available, easy to fix, and faster.
Yes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adodero View Post

I also DEFINITELY agree with calling yards and marinas. I see a lot of boats abandoned by owners and the yard just hasn't gone through the effort of getting the title, but with someone willing to pay for it and do the work, they may be willing to go through the effort. It's actually really common in FL, I don't know why. Broken dreams maybe? I've seen some really nice boats here abandoned or in bad shape. It took all the restraint in me to not take home an abandoned NorSea 27 with no rig and a Cape Dory 30 with no interior
Good idea to save money... AT FIRST... BUT...You will spend the same amount if not more taking up sailing time making the boat sailing... Instead of sailing... Great idea if you want to do boat refitting for fun, and not sailing for fun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK n Smitty View Post
My thought would be to get the best condition boat for under $5K. That would leave some money for upgrades and repairs. This would probably mean a non-blue water boat.
You are young and will have plenty of time to upgrade to a better boat for going offshore. So you would look at boats like the Catalina 27, cal 2-27, O'Day 272, etc. Any of those in good condition would be fine for sailing around your area and going to the Bahamas.


If you are really stuck on small blue water boats, I would recommend you add the Falmouth Channel Cutter 22 to you list of potentials.

Either way you are way ahead of most. I didn't own my first boat until my late 20s. So keep going with your plan and get out on the water. That is the most important thing.
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaintim1 View Post
I think the cheapest boats are the most expensive boats.... Just my opinion.
So true.....
__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 10:11   #43
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cruising the Gulf of Mexico.
Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Posts: 1,439
Stocking the boat hasn't been brought up yet. Joshua Turner and the grapefruit comes to mind.
__________________
Working on spending my children's inheritance.
Cap Erict3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 18:51   #44
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: King George VA
Boat: 20' Montego
Posts: 27
Re: Small live-aboard for under $8,000

I'd get a trailable up to 24' boat. A galvanized trailer and pull maintenance on the bearings. A reliable ob, 4 cycle. Believe it or not you can get bargains out there and with small boats you can make money when you sell and move up. The dreams are often more fun than the reality. Make an awning. Be terrified of falling off. If I fall off and drown it would be awful. I you fall off and drown it's awful time 60 or 70- years and all that goes with those years of living. NETFLIX "the Dove". 72 years and 11 sailboats later I still love/hate them.
__________________
raybrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 21:53   #45
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 39
Re: Small live-aboard for under $8,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Doood.... You've posted lots here, and that's great! You are however.... never... ever.... ever.... going to going to satisfy all your "preferred" qualities on this budget.... The idea would be to start now, and move up as you gain experience and a larger wallet.... If you buy in June, you will likely end up sailing in June 2015... Buy sooner rather than later... The 27 Catalina is a smokin' deal... but you need to factor the cost of leaving it the water... A trailer boat can be parked anywhere for less than $100/mo



Yes....



Good idea to save money... AT FIRST... BUT...You will spend the same amount if not more taking up sailing time making the boat sailing... Instead of sailing... Great idea if you want to do boat refitting for fun, and not sailing for fun...



YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!



So true.....
Wow!! You guys are a great source for information. I never thought I would get this kind of response. Thank you everyone, you have made this decision much easier and a great conversation point! Before I jump to conclusions, I am going to compile a list of all the recommendations of boats that I received from this thread. I am going to do some basic research on each boat, and narrow down the list. I am new to this, so I don't want to say yes/no without getting some more background info. Once the list has been narrowed, I will update everyone! Then, once I have the actual boat, we can start threads regarding the repairs and voyages that I encounter. Keep the recommendations coming!! I have to admit, this forum has been great for me to learn!
__________________

__________________
glowprofishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:40.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.