Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 05:26   #46

Boat: Albin Vega 27
Re: Small, fast and cheap ocean going sailboat

As far as fast, quoted SA/D is over 18. She has a nice turn of speed and no real bad habits, other than lack of berths for my family.
subquanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:17   #47

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by subquanta View Post
I second the Albin Vega with an outboard. I paid less than 5k for mine with new rigging (standing and running) and sails and a two year old 9hp outboard. Looking at a bigger boat now as I have kids and a wife and we are heading south in a few months, but would feel good going just about anywhere in my Vega.
Vega is a slow boat. Viggen, which gives the visual promise of better turn of speed, is actually slower yet.

If one wants a small, fast and cheap Albin, then it is their Express. Ocean going? Well, depends on driver's preferences.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:36   #48

Albin Vega is a good choice, North Sea 27 but they usually cost a lot more is a good offshore boat. A cheapo would be a Haida 26 and its a good sailor and has done lots of offshore stuff. I think the easiest to find would be a Vega and many of them have crossed oceans. Fast? Well faster than a raft and highly more likely to get you there than a crapped out Hunter 26 or Catalina 27.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:17   #49

J24 racing miami to bimini.....1980,,,,,,,turned over and SANK BOOM GONE
scajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:28   #50

J 24's are not offshore boats, their stability range is only around 90 degrees so a simple knock down and you can sink it. Fun boat for beer can racing but that's about it.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:45   #51

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

About the only boat I can think of that checks all three boxes is the Lindenberg 26, these things are fast (phrf 168) the same rating as a j24 which is a lot faster than many 35 to 40 ft cruisers, they are huge for a 26ft boat, much more space than most of the usual suspects, both above and below decks, ie, 6ft headroom, quarter berths over 3ft wide that you can sit up in, side decks that are 20" wide, a foredeck big enough to stow a small dinghy on coastal passages, lots of freeboard and a decent lbs/inch immersion which together allow for a reasonable payload for cruising without negativly affecting performance as much as most boats it size. Construction was ok, better than average engineering and glassworkmmassivly strong chainplate attatchment, fiberglass furniture an bulkheads properly tabbed in, hence, no rot, no balsa core, they wisely used foam and only above the waterline.Unfortunatly the gelcoat on all the ones ive seen was poor so painting may be needed. To me the biggest problem fo offshore work is the lack of a bridge deck but then the same applies to the Contessa 26 and a few of them have circumnavigated, also not much storage but thats easily solvable by giving up one of those glorious quarter berths.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:50   #52
Armchair Bucketeer

IMO the Albin Vega is like the Contessa 26, a little overpriced due to reputation.

Me would favour a Halycon 27:-

Archive details of Halcyon 27 - Yachtsnet Ltd. online UK yacht brokers

Albeit fast is perhaps a relative term - but on long distance as much about keeping up averages rather than outright speed, and for that a boat that helps to sail itself comes into it's own.....the price of that paid at other times, around the cans or backing out of a tight slip!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:37   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Interesting. Since you posted I looked up a number of references about the 24 and ocean sailing. Apparently it can be made watertight, but the comfort factor is horrendous. Thanks for the feedback.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 17:16   #54

Boat: Corbin 39

Morgan 27
toddedger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 17:34   #55
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Small, fast and cheap ocean going sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Interesting. Since you posted I looked up a number of references about the 24 and ocean sailing. Apparently it can be made watertight, but the comfort factor is horrendous. Thanks for the feedback.
LOL... any boat of these sizes comfort is a decent berth 2 (double) can sleep in... the rest... its get along with... that's my prime consideration after the hull and rig..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, sailboat