Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2007, 06:24   #1

small boat cruising?

When I retire in 2 yr 2 months I plan to putter around the Texas gulf coast and beyond in a Cape Dory 25D. Anybody cruising, or plan to, in a small boat?

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:51   #2

Boat: PSC 31
See Small boats, long distances... sailFar.net
stevemac00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:58   #3

thanks Steve

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
Old 06-09-2007, 09:52   #4

I already do!

I also have a Cape Dory 25D, and I putter around the PNW. Next cruise starting sometime after Sept. 20th, up Georgia Strait and into the Jungles, eventually stopping at Port Hardy to haul out.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 14:18   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgine View Post
I also have a Cape Dory 25D, and I putter around the PNW. Next cruise starting sometime after Sept. 20th, up Georgia Strait and into the Jungles, eventually stopping at Port Hardy to haul out.
Amgine:

How do like your 25D? have you done any mods? I've had Seraph for 5 years now and have done a few mods. Companion way ladder changed to steps on the engine hatch. That really clears up the galley. Added lots of canvas. Dodger, bimini all with zippered sun shades down the sides as well as full covers bow to stern. It gets quite hot here in Texas. I also removed the settee backs and place the back cushion directly against the hull. I was always afraid the starboard back would come crashing down in the night as we slept. More room too. Do you use the quarter berth for storage? I want to come up with some rolling storage bins that I can roll in and out.

happy sailing

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
Old 07-09-2007, 18:57   #6

Cape Dory 25D

I love the 25D! of course, there's a few things I want to change... <grin>

We haven't done many mods yet, despite owning the boat almost three years. I have been upgrading some of the systems - slowly rewiring everything so the electrical is less of a rat's nest, replacing the standing rigging one wire at a time, and built a sailrite kit sail for this summer's cruise.

On the other hand, I've managed to get in at least a 1,000 miles every summer, including circumnavigating Vancouver Island solo.

One thing I just confirmed this year is that the battery bank storage high and outboard in the cockpit locker induces 3° of list to port. This annoys me more than just a little bit. I'm trying to find a place for one battery to stbd, possibly under the quarterberth aft.

How did you rig your deck canvas? I desperately want a dodger and a bimini, especially a bimini which can be up while sailing. (I fry when the weather man says the word "sunny", before I even get out on the water.)

I hate to admit it, but I happen to love the quarter berth. I find it the most comfortable berth either under way or at anchor. But I do want to replace all cushions and covers. It's not at the top of the priority list, but as I've been living aboard for all intents and purposes for the past couple months... it's climbing.

My biggest problem (but not the top priority - that's a new main) is heat. Although the PNW is wonderful for sailing, it is often chilly and heat is a must if you sail during the winter (at least, it should be, says the idiot who goes sailing in the winter anyway.) I've been thinking about getting some kind of cabin heater, but the bulkhead stoves look like they simply can't be worked into the small cabin space of the 25D. The diesel ranges would probably be great in the winter, and cook me alive in the summers. I just don't know what to do to solve this one.

Next summer's plan is an offshore trip, so many upgrades going on. I may give up the quarterberth for stowage, but will need to rig lee cloths somehow. The galley needs a new stove insert, which will be cng/propane if I can get enough money together to do so. And I plan to replace the propeller, shaft, and stuffing gland when I haul out this fall.

My biggest advice is to figure out how to carry and deploy more anchors. I currently have 2 anchors forward, a smallish bruce and a biggish cqr (30#), and am looking to buy a danforth for the stern as a lunch hook.

Old 10-09-2007, 16:13   #7

Boat: Hunter, 335- Destiny II
Hello Randy,

This is one thing I'm struggling with right now. Do I need a Larger Bote to go Cruising? Just like everyone else, botes seem to get small. At first it looks like a Football field in front of you next thing you know you're looking for 2 more feet.

I worked with an Engineer from Japan who built a 23' sailboat. When he moved to the US in 1989 for several years he had to sell the '23. When he returned to Japan 7 years later he sent me a magazine where the second owner of the 23' sailed it Around the World. (I still have this magazine.) I meet several people a year that are on 20ish boats so it's possible. Just need to make the best use of space!

If we keep the 34' Hunter (that already has most everything but sails already replaced) the cruising kitty will be fat. If we sell the Hunter and move up to a larger boat the kitty will be thin and I'll have to work some to make ends meet.

The Cape Dory is a nice boat. You can make it work if you're positive! Good Luck.

Mike
MCathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 17:08   #8

Mike,

The key to the whole thing is 'we'. Small boats are fine for single handers who can make unilateral lifestyle decisions and stick to them. They are also fine for many couples. But, if you are a couple, you have to be brutally honest with eachother - none of this 'well, I know he/she really wants to do it, so maybe it'll be OK'. My wife and I spent 2+ years sailing an old ('83) H34 from Florida to So. America and back. Obviously, it was acceptable for us. In fact, we loved it, but we came back primarily to get a bigger boat - then other events intervened, but that's another story.

Your liveaboard comfort needs/wants/expectations are personal to you (BOTH of you). In my experience the most common reason that couples abandon cruising is that it turned out not to be fun living on the particular boat or budget they chose to do it on. If you do not enjoy living on the boat, no amount of breathtakingly beautiful islands or beaches will keep you cruising.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:59   #9

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
GO small, Go Simple, and Go now!

My wife and I have lived aboard for a couple months, and cruised for a month on our Pearson Ariel (26', narrow beam Alberg design).

Here is some posts we have made on our trip so far.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 16:31   #10

s/v Faith,

I don't agree with the Go small part, but only because it's not right for everyone. OTOH, it makes the Go now part easier. I do agree with Go simple, Go slow, and Go now - and these guys explained it best:

BoatUS.com Cruising Log
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 14:47   #11

Boat: Beneteau First 30es fractional rig "Evolution"
Send a message via MSN to Prflyer1 Send a message via Skype™ to Prflyer1
hmm.....

Met a couple who liveaboard a Cape Dory 25 in Tortola, BVI's,
The size issue is very personal, I started on the wrong end and worked my way down, First boat was an Alberg 37, second Beneteau First 38, and my love affair is my Beneteau First 30es, smaller has made me happier, easier to handle, less maintanance, less everything!!! Does not mean I do not drool over the larger boats, of course. it really all depends on where you are in life, at what stage IMHO, not necessarily financially, but more personally. I have a great wife that supports me in every way, 2 older kids and a baby on the way, if I had a larger boat, it would be harder for me, since most of the time I am alone (kids are in the states). Met a great couple here in PR (wont say who they are because they are not very welcome here ) they went around the world on a 34 ft cat, he mentioned to me that was way more than enough for them. I believe its a very personal issue, the Cape Dory in Tortola, came down from the states and been living there for 8 years!

Danny
Old 24-09-2007, 20:09   #12
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Before Magic I sailed a 23 aquarius. I took yearly sabbaticals to the Dry tortugas and The bahamas. The longest I spent on it at one time was fifty days when we went tampa to tortugas and back up through keys and glades with no motor. I offered in another post to put together directions for bending bimini frames and dodgers, almost the same ,and patterning the canvas. If you made a sail the sewing will be no problem. I do this for a living and would be glad to share my methods if your interested. Stitchin Steve
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 20:29   #13

I'm in!

forsailbyowner: I definitely would like you to describe your method for bending and designing dodgers and biminis. After moving house (two more days) I'll be moving boat for a couple weeks, then I want to get very serious on the winter projects. I think I need both the dodger and bimini for a longer trip next summer, heading south to where the sun is serious.

Old 25-09-2007, 06:28   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgine View Post
I love the 25D! of course, there's a few things I want to change... <grin>

We haven't done many mods yet, despite owning the boat almost three years. I have been upgrading some of the systems - slowly rewiring everything so the electrical is less of a rat's nest, replacing the standing rigging one wire at a time, and built a sailrite kit sail for this summer's cruise.

On the other hand, I've managed to get in at least a 1,000 miles every summer, including circumnavigating Vancouver Island solo.

One thing I just confirmed this year is that the battery bank storage high and outboard in the cockpit locker induces 3° of list to port. This annoys me more than just a little bit. I'm trying to find a place for one battery to stbd, possibly under the quarterberth aft.

How did you rig your deck canvas? I desperately want a dodger and a bimini, especially a bimini which can be up while sailing. (I fry when the weather man says the word "sunny", before I even get out on the water.)

I hate to admit it, but I happen to love the quarter berth. I find it the most comfortable berth either under way or at anchor. But I do want to replace all cushions and covers. It's not at the top of the priority list, but as I've been living aboard for all intents and purposes for the past couple months... it's climbing.

My biggest problem (but not the top priority - that's a new main) is heat. Although the PNW is wonderful for sailing, it is often chilly and heat is a must if you sail during the winter (at least, it should be, says the idiot who goes sailing in the winter anyway.) I've been thinking about getting some kind of cabin heater, but the bulkhead stoves look like they simply can't be worked into the small cabin space of the 25D. The diesel ranges would probably be great in the winter, and cook me alive in the summers. I just don't know what to do to solve this one.

Next summer's plan is an offshore trip, so many upgrades going on. I may give up the quarterberth for stowage, but will need to rig lee cloths somehow. The galley needs a new stove insert, which will be cng/propane if I can get enough money together to do so. And I plan to replace the propeller, shaft, and stuffing gland when I haul out this fall.

My biggest advice is to figure out how to carry and deploy more anchors. I currently have 2 anchors forward, a smallish bruce and a biggish cqr (30#), and am looking to buy a danforth for the stern as a lunch hook.
tbates
Amgine:

Good to hear a 25D being used so much for it's intended purpose. My wife really loves our 25D and was very upset when I looked at a CD 30. She didn't like the 30 nears as well. We're both small, 5'8" & 4'11" so teh 25D is a perfect fit. Finding storage is our challenge and so far we've found some pretty good answers.

For adding a bimini/dodger the first thing I did was have the clew of the main reduced by 8". Leave the gooseneck as it is and just raise the clew. I'd also highly recommend having the main loose footed. Our bimini mounts just forward of the genoa sheet winches on the outside of the cockpit coaming. It's an off the shelf 6'x6'. We have added zippered screens all around for added protection. email me for pics (rtbates(at)austin(dot)rr(dot)com. Our favorite canvas is the dodger as it provides tremendous protection in the forward cockpit area and has a tail piece that provides sunshade, rigged to be used while sailing.

We have lee cloths rigged on the starboard settee. They attach to the handrails above.

For the port list I keep all my water on the starboard side. 'Problem' solved. And I can tell when the water supply is getting low by seeing how she sits at anchor!

I agree on the anchor needs. We carry two bruces forward. A 10kg on the bow roller and a 8kg in the anchor locker. I will be adding a stern roller to carry the smaller bruce back there. A fortress will be added as a storm anchor.

Happy sailing

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
Old 25-09-2007, 14:40   #15

rtbates: My current main has an 8" clew reef which I've never had the chance to try out; I may have to try it during this next cruise. But, at the same time I'm planning to get a new main this winter, so I'd love to ask some questions about your loose-footed main:
  • Did you add foot roach? How much? Does it affect reefing shape?
  • Did you add some kind of outhaul car, or just go with a couple closely-spaced slugs?
  • I was considering shortening the foot a wee bit since there seems to be a bit more twisting weather helm than heel-induced weather helm. Do you have any thoughts regarding this?
  • What did you do about leech roach? lots or little? full battens?
I'm guessing you're using the quarterberth for storing extra water, which would certainly solve the battery/list problem in the short term. But since the passages I have planned are likely to be a couple thousand miles of stbd tack, I think I want to move a battery. Looking from the port cockpit locker across the transmission it looks like the inboard ply carlin/bulkhead structure is more than deep enough, but I'm not sure if that depth is carried wide enough to move a battery there.

I'm off to do a half-circ of Vancouver Island early next week, after getting moved. Which is good since otherwise I wouldn't have gotten my full 1k this year. I'm hoping to do Yuculta rapids this time; every other time I went north via Beasley Passage/Surge Narrows. New routes, new challenges!