Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2008, 05:54   #46

Boat: searching
Maybe a Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostmt View Post
I hope she makes it. Nope on the 21'' as the refit would cost 3 grand or so on the one I looked at yesterday. Still looking.
We have fond memories of our Catalina 22 and there are many with a large support group. It was our starter boat and we sail the Foolish Pleasure on the Puget Sound, Saco Bay Me, and Biscayne Bay - Keys. I'm really big on shallow draft especially on smaller boats and her swing keel lets us leave the crowds behind and anchor close to shore out of the chop.

Maybe check around for a club in your area. We had hull 10,300+. I really don't think there is a better boat to learn on.

Good luck!
Herbseesmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2008, 06:33   #47

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
Personal opinion: small boats with wide flat decks will 'seem' bigger because you'll have more outside deck to tool around on. Too often (again, my own near worthless opinion) small boats attempt to maximize interior volume on a given LOA causing a significant loss of overall working (or tooling) space.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2008, 09:10   #48

Microcruising in the Bahamas

It would be tough to get much smaller than that. Check out the link to their inventory over on the right side of the page. They list EVERYTHING they take on the boat for a three month trip. Here's another link:

Introduction to the junk-rigged Corribee Mingming

I like the modifications he made to make the Corribee more sea-worthy...also don't miss the "Heavy Weather" pictures. Yikes!
nmwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 19:58   #49

Boat: B24
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmwarren View Post
Microcruising in the Bahamas

It would be tough to get much smaller than that...
I’ve poked around on their website before, good stuff – and the whole matter looks well thought out… I’ve gotten to where I need (or at least think I need) standing headroom, but their general concept seems clever, practical and prudent for what they want to do… gives the impression of sort of a “coastal cruising” version of Guzzwell’s Trekka. And, the big plus, occasional day guests won’t need to be reminded when to go home…
Old 11-08-2008, 21:11   #50

I find it interesting that you are planning to retire and cruise the Texas coast in two years on your CD25D. I have sailed Galveston Bay and most of the Texas coast over the past 30 years. I also plan to cruise in 2 years or so, not in Texas, but rather the Florida Gulf Coast and the Keys. I guess you could say I'm a little tired of motoring out to Clear Lake marker #2 and back. Right now, I'm in search of my "retirement" sailboat - hoping to find something like the Cape Dory 25D. If I can put it all together, in two years you can find me somewhere in margaritaville.

misterEd
Ed Saile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 05:00   #51

small boat cruising

Randy;

I have a 25D on Lake Grapevine in Fort Worth area. We have touched base before on the CD website and I am happy to find this one!

How do you move Seraph to the coast? I am interested in extending my cruising ground as well as I get more free time.

Just installed a bimini last summer and new main and mack pack on my 25d, havent used the sail yet, but the bimini is great. I raised the boom 6" and had a local guy fabricate it.
fcrumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 07:03   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcrumb View Post
Randy;

I have a 25D on Lake Grapevine in Fort Worth area. We have touched base before on the CD website and I am happy to find this one!

How do you move Seraph to the coast? I am interested in extending my cruising ground as well as I get more free time.

Just installed a bimini last summer and new main and mack pack on my 25d, havent used the sail yet, but the bimini is great. I raised the boom 6" and had a local guy fabricate it.
Hi Fcrumb

Seraph came to me with a gooseneck trailer and I already had the F250 pickup. Now all I need is retirement!

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 15:54   #53

Microcruising is fun website. I like this one
Dinghy Cruising Association - Aims and Philosophy
There are some guys who have crossed the Ocean
Piotrek
Old 31-03-2009, 07:46   #54

One thing that's not often spoken of when discussing boat size is safety. If you're living aboard in some marina, bigger is generally better, but if you're sailing her reefing her in a blow can quickly become too much for a couple. Don't think the answer is roller-reefing. I took a boat to bermuda with roller-reefing headsails & main and it took two men and a boy to reef 'em when the wind came up. Remember, the weight of gear and the forces acting on it increase exponentially with each increase in boat size.

With the right boat, 25' is enough to take wherever you have the nerve to go & 32' can be "luxury living on the waterfront." Do we even need to mention the increase in cost associated with a large boat during these trying times? Or the "I'm a rich American" flag you run up when you pull into the anchorage with you 52 footer? We're all impressed here at the marina, but there are folks down in the islands that don't view your success so positively.
Old 31-03-2009, 08:17   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by keelbolts View Post
One thing that's not often spoken of when discussing boat size is safety. If you're living aboard in some marina, bigger is generally better, but if you're sailing her reefing her in a blow can quickly become too much for a couple. Don't think the answer is roller-reefing. I took a boat to bermuda with roller-reefing headsails & main and it took two men and a boy to reef 'em when the wind came up. Remember, the weight of gear and the forces acting on it increase exponentially with each increase in boat size.

With the right boat, 25' is enough to take wherever you have the nerve to go & 32' can be "luxury living on the waterfront." Do we even need to mention the increase in cost associated with a large boat during these trying times? Or the "I'm a rich American" flag you run up when you pull into the anchorage with you 52 footer? We're all impressed here at the marina, but there are folks down in the islands that don't view your success so positively.
Absolutely. Small boats create small forces and less costs for sure. After scubing the bottom I'm always glad Seraph's only 25 feet! Same feeling after getting all her teak finished with TEAKGUARD, which by the way, is the best teak finish on the planet.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 09:39   #56

Boat: Reinell 22', INSHALLA
Smaller yet

I'm taking off the first of the year in a 22 footer. Beefed it up a bit in rigging and sails, added more storage space and am ready to go. It will be just me and I feel comfortable in it to do the job. Plan on about 5000 NM in whatever time it takes.
spooky alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 20:35   #57

w00h00!

The recession has convinced the partner that selling the boat isn't going to be a good idea, and she agreed I should try to take the boat to Hawaiʻi!

So, if I can get some important rig updates, and schedule around some health issues, I'll be taking Njørđson (Cape Dory 25D) offshore from the west coast of Vancouver Island sometime in August. (Be warned: I'm posting this just an hour or so after getting verbal agreement after a fine dinner-and-entertainment evening out! Who knows what hungover minds may say in the morning!)

I know of only one other Cape Dory 25D which has sailed to
Hawaiʻi. I've kept the end games deliberately fuzzy, so maybe I'll be taking this design further than any other sailor has - or not. Only the future (and the magic 8 ball) knows!

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 23:16   #58

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by keelbolts View Post

I really agree with this view and acted on it. I sold my 25,000lbs. Ingirid 38 which always will need crew and bought a Rawson Pilothouse 30 which weighs 12,000lbs and can single hand. These little ships have circumnavigated. The only drawback to a small well founded smaller vessel is it's lack of tankage. However this can be dealt with by a watermaker. With it's 30hp engine it uses a quart of diesel and hour so a 50 gallons of tanks can motor you in upwards of 800-900 miles. All in all easier to get going if you are of that of a mediocre income.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:15   #59

Boat: 36' Magellan "Steady Beat"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgine View Post
The recession has convinced the partner that selling the boat isn't going to be a good idea, and she agreed I should try to take the boat to Hawaiʻi!

So, if I can get some important rig updates, and schedule around some health issues, I'll be taking Njørđson (Cape Dory 25D) offshore from the west coast of Vancouver Island sometime in August. (Be warned: I'm posting this just an hour or so after getting verbal agreement after a fine dinner-and-entertainment evening out! Who knows what hungover minds may say in the morning!)

I know of only one other Cape Dory 25D which has sailed to
Hawaiʻi. I've kept the end games deliberately fuzzy, so maybe I'll be taking this design further than any other sailor has - or not. Only the future (and the magic 8 ball) knows!
Many small boats have made this trip - including mine. The Transpac (coming up) is one way to do it with company along the way. The problem is beating your way back - so for some, it's a one way trip.

BWS
BlueWaterSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 04:22   #60
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
You don't necessarily have to go to extremes on the small side. On the offshore passages I've made, and in the anchorages here in the islands, my 38 footer is typically one of the smallest boats. The fully roller-furling cutter rig makes her easy to handle in all conditions by myself.