Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2018, 07:05   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Slipped rudder..

oh well. is cruising and delivering....unexpected immediate repair in exotic locations. at least you have owner with you so what you break isnt what YOU break. of course isnt always good to share delivery with owners.,.. glad yours is a nice one.
hugs amigo. be well and make sure we can see your misadventure in tracking.. love ye.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 08:47   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Slipped rudder..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Err, thought you were going to Gib, but instead your lounging around in Greece.

Pete
We went to Gib but it was closed so anchored in La Linea instead then fueled up the next morning and carried on..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 08:50   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
oh well. is cruising and delivering....unexpected immediate repair in exotic locations. at least you have owner with you so what you break isnt what YOU break. of course isnt always good to share delivery with owners.,.. glad yours is a nice one.
hugs amigo. be well and make sure we can see your misadventure in tracking.. love ye.
Bit nervous about sharing my Spot page.. dunno why..
And yes.. Paul is a great guy.. must be if he can put up with me..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 27-06-2018, 09:22   #19

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

I was not clear as to why it slipped
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 05:32   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

4flush fitting grub screws.. Flat surfaces dont work as well as the indented ones..

Old 30-06-2018, 05:49   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i have been know to tell the joke when stuff breaks onboard,on "How to become a Millionaire and own a yacht"........

simples, you start off as a Multi Millionaire owning a yacht,and you will soon become a Millionaire
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 08:03   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
4flush fitting grub screws.. Flat surfaces dont work as well as the indented ones..

i know you will fix the issue and be under way in short order. you aint dum. it is safer on water than on land these days. may your journey be fun and uneventful. smooth sailing, amigo.
Old 30-06-2018, 11:53   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Job ended today.. Peregrine is on the hard just East of the Corinth Canal till the owner gets back from some commitments back home.
A great sail from Patri to the West entrance of the canal where we anchored behind the breakwater to await passage through..
Wind was gusting to 30 knots and waves breaking over the breakwater.. not a lot of room but it was sheltered.
Call came to go and we started hauling anchor to follow another boat through.. owner shouted back the anchor was free so I put the helm hard over and gunned the engine.. next thing the owner shouts back that the anchors not coming up and the chains running back along the hull.. I assume the burst of speed has driven the anchor back and its hooked on the keel so I throttle down and tell him to let more chain out and let gravity take effect...
Wrong.. what had happened was the windlass motor had died so we now had 10metres out in 7.5 of depth.. no way we could go through.. so I turned round and got as close to the breakwater as I dared then we re-anchered.
Control were pretty good and once we had explained the situation said no problem.. stay till you get it fixed.
By the next morning after a night of 2 on 2 off anchor watches we resorted to the line to winch tactic and finally lifted the hook in time to follow a motorboat through at 8am..
Fly home tomorrow via Zurich-Porto then its work out a flight to Miami to collect a Lagoon 450 to take to Lisbon.
But a good job done.. 2700 miles between May 26th and June 29th.. including 9 days in Portimao for rudder repair.. a night in La Coruna.. La Linea.. Malta and Patri.. not counting the last night above.
Owners comment.. "I never realised what an endurance trial a boat delivery is.."

Old 30-06-2018, 12:40   #24

oh well.. next time.. and have a great time at home...
Old 30-06-2018, 22:28   #25

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Good job of educating the owner, Boatie! I guess their first lesson is about the fallibility of deadlines, then boat stuff.

Cheers, and have a great delivery back from the Excited States!

Ann
Old 01-07-2018, 17:40   #26

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I wonder what percentage of deliveries go off without a hitch? 10%?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rudder