Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2016, 11:01   #16

Re: Sleeping in the foreberth

You really can't figure out how someone could get into a V-berth? I mean, it seems really obvious to me. Just sit down, swing your legs around, and voila! It's easy. My wife and I are on either side of 60 and we do it without any problems at all. I think that somehow you must be making this a lot harder than it has to be.

I will also say that I have never known any couple who slept with their heads into the V. I suppose I could see a single doing that, but for a couple? Way too claustrophobic!

My wife and I generally prefer the V-berth even when there are others available. At anchor, you open up the hatch above your head and get a wonderful breeze that is really not available anywhere else in the boat.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 11:04   #17

My v-berth doesn't seem very well suited to - erm - marital harmony and it's not great for sleeping either so why have a double there at all?

YMMV but I'm thinking of converting mine to two singles with leecloths - not expecting much if any marital harmony in my future

One berth either side, overlapping at the forward end so one would be higher than the other by about 600mm sound workable? For sleeping I mean?

Probably saw it in a photo or on someone's boat years ago, can't remember - but it seemed that the cabin sole extending further forward like that ought to make climbing in and out easier.

Anyone got that arrangement, like/don't like it or even know if there's a name for it?
unclemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 11:08   #18

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURV69 View Post
... I've never done it another way.

Maybe I'll give it a try this year ...

Don't be afraid. Trying something new is the great adventure.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 11:12   #19

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemack View Post
One berth either side, overlapping at the forward end so one would be higher than the other by about 600mm sound workable? For sleeping I mean?
Something like this?

Or this, for the easy storage of children:

Old 14-03-2016, 11:13   #20

Boat: Various Cruising Dinghies

What a fascinating question. It never occurred to me that somebody would sleep with their head in the bow with the spiders. Aside from spiders, how is there room for the breadth of 2 adults shoulders up there?

Bum up, rotate on bum with knees bent, scooch down. Or if forward hatch is open, grab onto combing, lift body in chin up type position and simply extend legs.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ungvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 11:58   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungvar View Post
Bum up, rotate on bum with knees bent, scooch down. Or if forward hatch is open, grab onto combing, lift body in chin up type position and simply extend legs.
Fine for you youngsters - some of us are a bit old and rheumatic to be re-writing the Kama Sutra
Old 14-03-2016, 12:08   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemack View Post
Fine for you youngsters - some of us are a bit old and rheumatic to be re-writing the Kama Sutra
That's so sweet. Here I am old enough to qualify for Social Security, and you call me a "youngster." Thank you!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 12:20   #23

While I've never had one, a centerline queen is starting to look mighty attractive. Trouble is they come with a quarter million dollar boat around them.

S/V B'Shert
Old 14-03-2016, 12:34   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Something like this?

Or this, for the easy storage of children:

Hi Lizzy Belle,
yes, that's the kind of thing, thanks!

Presumably those straps on the child-protection-clamps are winched tight to keep the little darlings quiet while Mum and Dad get busy on the double?

Not sure that's the best place for a bidet...
Old 14-03-2016, 13:19   #25

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
While I've never had one, a centerline queen is starting to look mighty attractive. Trouble is they come with a quarter million dollar boat around them.

S/V B'Shert
The ARE some problems with such berths. AKA the grass isn't really greener.

- They're tough to stay in period. And to stay in place in, when underway.
Even with lee cloths on both sides, & one on centerline, it's easy for there to be too much room for a sleeper. As you can't wedge youself in against anything solid. Unlike in a berth that's against, or surrounded by hull.
Which makes for Poor sleep quality.

- The above problems can/do persist in rolly anchorages.

- Tremendous wastes of space... along the sides, where each party enters & exits. In terms of usable bunk surface area. AND, for more stoage underneath of the bunk.

- They Feel, & can actually Be smaller, than a good V-berth, aft double, or Pullman (fixed or slide out/convertable).
As with any berth which has the hull on one, or both sides; there's a lot more "sprawl room". Especially when heeled. Sans the possibility of falling out. So, again, you lose, in the sleep quality department.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 13:27   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURV69 View Post
In about 20 or so years of sailing, I have NEVER met anyone who sleeps in the forberth with their feet toward the bow ... yet EVERY book and magazine indicates that this is the "proper"(?), way to sleep in the foreberth.

Am I missing something here? As I see it, unless the boat is 40 feet long with a 14' beam and the sailor is young and very agile ... how does one sleep in the foreberth with one's feet toward the bow?

To me, this seems nearly impossible.
Well.. not sure I get that... I've never met anyone who sleeps with the head at the bow.... except maybe a first timer on a power boat... with a traditional V berth anyway. But cant say as I ask everyone though! I'm not sure how you could sleep with your head forward unless you have a very long berth or are alone...

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 15:11   #27

Uncivilized, I was only wishing for a centerline queen for sleeping at anchor or slip. At sea a saloon berth with a lee cloth or quarter berth is of course better.

S/V B'Shert
Old 14-03-2016, 15:31   #28

I found the OP draw dropping. I actually had to stop what I was doing and go pick up my jaw!

Really.

I couldn't believe the question. It was, to me, like asking if you should stick your head into the closed end of a sleeping bag.

That said, we are very, very fortunate to have one of the largest V berths in a boat of our size.

We sit up on the edge, swing our feet over and around and we're in. I'm 70 and we've had this boat for 18 years. Still "can do it."
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 15:34   #29

Boat: Rafiki 37

On our current boat we have a double V that is offset to port. Makes for cosy but very comfortably sleeping for two (feet to bow, heads to aft). Even underway it's usually a pretty good place to sleep due to the way our Rafiki manages most seas. But we do move to our sea berths along the centre line when things get too bouncy.

One nice feature of our V-berth is the handholds that encircle the boat's interior. They are the perfect hight for me to grab and hoist my bulk around. This makes swinging feet down to the bow very easy. Perhaps you could add such a hand-hold SURV69?
Old 14-03-2016, 15:51   #30

Boat: Endeavour 40, Sold, looking for a 44'-50 cat or mono.

My V berth is big enough to do it either way with out much effort, It's basically two twin beds connected at the top or bottom (whichever way you sleep) even sitting upright fully i have head clearance throughout. I'm head to bow!
svGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote