Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 15:17   #1

Boat: none yet
Size Matter

Hello all Thank you for looking an answering.
First I AM GOING TO BUILD MY BOAT.
Sorry I have to be rude about that some people don't understand and there are still gonna be one idiot that does not understand thins love for building and has to make a comment that says " Don't Build Buy"

Enough of that so my family is looking to build a monohull over the next ten years. That is the plan.

I want to know What opion does anyone have on size? We plan on Doing some extended cruise maybe be at sea as long as 30 days. There is Five of us. Me my Wife And are Three Daughters. All are children are use to shareing room. I have two chose one being a 36 foot boat and the other being a 44 foot boat.

I would really like some good opions about size weight space. Een if it is safe with a center or aft cockpit. Even if someone thinks I should go even bigger.
I have looked a lot of designs and I want to make a good educated buy for plans plus I don't want to eer wish I went bigger. I believe I can deal with if I should hae went smaller.

Thank you for the the opions on the real subject.
Old 09-04-2013, 15:20   #2

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Size Matter

I cruised down to South America and back on a big 38-foot motorsailor with two adults and two children. We found the size just about right, but I wouldn't go smaller. My guess is you will be happier with the 44 footer in the long run, assuming she is a cruising boat with lots of tankage and storage. There are some small 44s and some big 44s. You want the big one for five people.
Old 09-04-2013, 16:03   #3

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
44' for that many people. Not 36'.

Centre cockpit to create 2 distinct sleeping areas - one for parents and the other for the kids. Not aft cockpit.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 16:19   #4

Boat: Alberg 37

I found several plans beyond what you mentioned. I am all for you building, but wondering if you spent some time on a boat now, if you wouldn't answer your own questions. Have you chartered? Do you have cruising friends? You're in Pittsburg, have you been up to look at boats on Erie? Feel free to PM me if you want to come up to Toledo and "feel" what a 37 is like. Once you find a production boat that feels right, you will be in a much better position to determine what you and your family will need.
bluemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 16:38   #5

WOW WOW WOW
Thank you Thank you Thank You
I was looking fo advise and got it.

As for sailing experiance I learned to sail on a sunfish 12ft when I was younger. alot younger. I have sailed with a few friend in small sailboats like 37ft or so.
As for a cruising family we have never cruised together but I am going this summer to lake erie with the family to go out on a chater. It is just a day trip but it will intruduce the family into being on open water.
My wife doesn't care she just wants to be together and happy. She loves and still wants to be with me she is awsome.
My kids well the just are kids and adjust to everything. H!@# we have moved more times then most people do in there entire live. We have lived in FL SC and PA.
I go where the work is the kids make new friends and life moves on. Three of us have lived in a one bedroom apartment with less sgft then my livingroom. Of coarse we live in a house but my kids all share the same room because there girls and we belive the need to be together as much as possible.
Though we have 1000sgft home we spend most of the time in the same area (especially in winter) together.
I don't know if that equates to anything but to me it does.
OHH we are a camping family so we do go camping. We share a tent together because I feel safer that way.

Again thank you for the info if anyone has an more real info please let me know.
Old 09-04-2013, 17:12   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Probably the 44 will meet your needs best. If you'll be staying as far north as PA, you'll be wanting heating, so design it into the boat (easier than retro-fitting). Use large conduit for the wiring, 'cause you'll be adding to it over the years. Consider noise insulation between children's quarters and the adults'.

It's not an easy project you've set yourselves, but it can be done. Our boat was built by a young boatwright and his wife over the period of 18 months, their kids came along later. But in the past, a lot of people built and circumnavigated in boats of their own construction. Consider a set up where there are 3 double berths, so that the girls can have friends sleep over sometimes, and where they can be alone to do their homework. Storage space for clothes will be a big issue to plan for, as well. (Winter stuff takes up so much space! Might have to sacrifice one of the doubles for stowage...)

My two cents' worth.

Ann
Old 09-04-2013, 17:32   #7

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

I realize that you posted in the monohull section, but for 5 people, I'd give serious consideration to one of these: Flica 34 ocean cruising catamaran
or another similar design.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 17:49   #8

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I applaud your determination, Dreamsailoring, and hope your dreams are realized. As a suggestion, you might consider looking at Roberts or similar boat 40-50 feet that has already been started but perhaps need interior finishing, engine installation, rigging, etc. You can find some really outstanding value in partial built boats in that range, particularly if you have the time and talent to complete what some one else has started but ran out of time, $ or space to complete themselves. Good Luck! Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 18:07   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

The difference between a 36-footer and a 44-footer is substantial, even though the difference in length is only 8'. I had a 37' sloop that displaces 1/3 what my current 46' sloop weighs.

I should think that choice of building materials might be a factor in what size you'll end up building. If you're building with ferrocement, go for the larger boat because the hull itself won't cost substantially more. With wood or steel, every extra foot is going to be felt in the pocketbook.
Old 09-04-2013, 18:09   #10

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

Good luck with your dream. I will just comment that a 44' boat is likely to cost roughly twice as much to build as a 36 footer and roughly twice as much to maintain too... and the cost of building the hull and deck is probably ony 20% or less of the whole cost.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 18:23   #11

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We had 3 girls and 1 boy and us on a 42 ft steel Colvin that we bilt and sailed over 20 yrs! so it can be done, but ya live close and ya need to get along LOL Just sayin camping and cruiseing are some big different!
Old 09-04-2013, 18:39   #12

Ferrocement.

DON'T do it.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 18:43   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
I realize that you posted in the monohull section, but for 5 people, I'd give serious consideration to one of these: Flica 34 ocean cruising catamaran
or another similar design.

Me and my wife thought about a cat and we like them alot. But we live almost 200miles from lake erie and that would cost a ton to move it. If I were to build at the lake I feel if it is not staring me in the face it would be to easy to forget about it. Thanks
Old 09-04-2013, 18:55   #14

Since I have read a few posts see what ever one thinks about this design. I have been drooling over this one and one other for a month now. I just needed to hear that I was on the right path.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	starpath-logan.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	58867   Click image for larger version

Name:	dsn-stplb.gif
Views:	175
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	58868  

Old 09-04-2013, 19:15   #15
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

I see. It's a Toyota Camry. Stretch version built of terra cotta?

Tags
size