Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2016, 21:20   #1

Boat: Siren 17
Siren 17 Questions

TL;DR
1) Anyone know where to get the manual for this boat?
2) Is there a reason to use anti-fouling paint on a day sailer?

I bought one, hoping to take her out this weekend. I've been searching high and low for info on this boat. It all seems to lead back to this one yahoo owners group. (which on first attempt was denied entry, which if I can get a bit of info is no big deal)

I haven't sailed in years (this is like a 15 yr dream come true) and when I did it was like albacores echos...tiny boats that were a bit different. It has some things I've never encountered before (furling Genoa, lots on this on google but all those are attached to the stay, my drum is deck mounted and not attached to the forestay at all...at least I dont think so its not in the right spot but google seems to only show the one type). Still I KNOW is covered in the manual because the owner I bought it from had the original 40 year old manual but its...seen better days.

I also have some maintenance questions as I try to restore her, it has layers upon layers of what looks like paint on the bottom, google seems to suggest its probably anti-fouling paint, its REALLY badly textured and the rollers on the trailer (yep, rollers on the trailer not carpeted bars) have worn though, in some cases right down to the yellow gel-coat. Its actually kind of neat looking top layer is brown, it goes through a few blues then down to the yellow gel-coat (but didn't do anything but scratch the gel-coat) my instinct is to strip it down to gelcoat and 'repaint' it but there a TON of options in what paint to use and I really don't need the antifouling properties the most she'd EVER spend in the water is a weekend, freshwater.
Madoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:54   #2

Boat: Sandpiper 565, Tanzer 22, Corbin 39
Re: Siren 17 Questions

Hi

Siren 17 looks like a nice little lake boat. I assume you are near Madoc, On? I am near Bancroft.

I would not bother with anti foul paint if you are dry sailing it. If you feel like it, you could remove what is there, or just go sailing.

The furler might work like mine on my Sandpiper 565. The sail has a luff wire that connects to the drum below and a swivel at the top. The sail is meant to be wound all the way in, or all out for proper shape. Going down wind where shape does not matter, it can be partly out. The whole arrangement lies about 2 inches inside the head stay.

Boulter

Sent from my XT1032 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Boulter is offline   Reply With Quote