Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 06:03   #91
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Singlehanding Tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymadman View Post
You may find this hard to believe ;-) but I think a wireless remote control for your autopilot is essential when single-handing. Being able to steer from anywhere on the boat without having to dive back to the wheel/tiller to dodge a lobster pot, unmarked rock or whatever is great! Being able to shelter inside the cabin in bad weather and still steer is also a bonus. If you fly a spinnaker you can gybe it while up the front by using the autotack feature.

I don't have it, but I completely agree with you. Now I have a new boat lust. thanks a lot ...
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:05   #92
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan6a View Post
This thread started out by one guy asking for tips on single handing. It has become a loooog list of unnecessary things to add to his boat. I circumnavigated without
95% of these toys. Do all of you people work for West Marine? The best tip I can give someone is to go out there and do it, get experience, have fun. You don't need all of that crap on your boat. You will become a better sailor without it. I am 79 and I'm still singlehanding offshore. just do it.

Just because that is your way does not mean it's the only way, nor maybe even the best way for someone with less experience than you.

To my knowledge no one here works at WM and in fact people recommend online sites like DEFENDER all the time.

If anyone needs line in the St. Pete area let me know and I will tell you where to go. I just bought new sheets for my Gale Sail for .75 a foot instead of $1.78 a foot at the more well known place.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:06   #93
cruiser

Quote:
It is not a given, most people can't do it. Yes, that is the best tip. just go out and do it. Gain experience. It is very hard to learn if your boat sits in the slip full of equipment, that you never use.

I hope no one around here just "went out and did it" three weeks ago last Sunday ...
Old 10-10-2013, 06:08   #94

Boat: Bristol 27

Autopilot/roller furling jib..............the rest you will figure out on your own.

Everyone does it a different way.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:08   #95
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacksman View Post
I'm just behind you in age and have also crossed oceans, So you must admit, crossing oceans and circumnavigating is no big deal. It is the first and last mile when all these 'toys' come in handy and a lot of the sailors here seem to spend a lot of their time in that 'mile'. So I think the tips are justified.

To go around the world you have to be able to leave port safely. That's a challenge where I am, and I'm very glad to have depth finder and chart plotter -- looking on the chart plotter is MUCH faster and more efficient than the chart. I can keep my "eyes up" more wth the chart plotter.

NEVER use the CP without studying the chart in detail, and have the chart in the cockpit. I use them together. I wouldn't want to be without either.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:16   #96

Boat: Pearson 367 Cutter

I disagree. I think crossing oceans and circumnavigating solo, is a big deal. Why else would we read books about Knox Johnson, Slocum and Robin Lee Graham? The reason it is a big deal is, that most people can't do it. I think skateboarding across the country, would be a big deal, especially at 80.
I don't understand your point about needing toys for the first and last mile. What equipment are you talking about? An anchor?
hooligan6a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:33   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith_Mac View Post
They make very good equipment too and it's not mandatory to buy it.
I don't think his business informed his viewpoint, it may just have been the wording of your post.
Cheers,
Mac
Mac, I think you are wrong. I think MadMan's reply is just to get free advertising. He should really take his business link off his replies. Also there is nothing essential about a wireless remote.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:01   #98

Boat: Ross 780
Quote:
Mac, I think you are wrong. I think MadMan's reply is just to get free advertising. He should really take his business link off his replies. Also there is nothing essential about a wireless remote.
Hooligan, my reply was tongue in cheek, hence the smiley face thing at the end.

Neil
https://www.madmanmarine.com
Tymadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:33   #99

Boat: Avon Rib, 65hp

Quote:
Fair enough, I've been wrong before [1965 I think but we're divorced now so it's all good]
Madman's avatar is advertising but it's not free AFAIK.
I still think his post referred to your suggestion to ditch 95% of the OP's gear and just go solo sailing. You modified that somewhat later but his response was already in.
It's a new world mate, like you I wasn't born in the electronic aids and apps age and I'm still bemused and amused by a lot of what I see but I don't belittle or denigrate those that have been so raised.
I also see a wi-fi device as useful but not essential, many people would have the opposite view and they are entitled to that.
Tolerance goes a long way and constructive advice goes even further.
I admire what you've done and what you're doing, however the younger generation need to be advised, not insulted by their elders.
Cheers,
Mac
Old 10-10-2013, 07:46   #100

Boat: Ross 780
I actually sail single-handed regularly myself and I would think about 75% of those who have purchased one of my remote controls also sail single-handed. The most recent photos I added to my website are from a guy in Switzerland who was very happy after sailing his trimaran single-handed in a race as he was able to steer from the outside hulls using one of my remote controls. He even flew his spinnaker for the first time when solo because he was able to steer from the front of the boat. I know what single-handed sailing tip that person will be giving to anyone who will listen.

So you're right - not essential but definitely very handy.

Neil
https://www.madmanmarine.com
Tymadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:01   #101

Quote:
I disagree. I think crossing oceans and circumnavigating solo, is a big deal. ...
We read about our heros to learn from their experiences but to then bless modern materials and technology which today make crossing oceans, solo or 2+ crew, easier and safer. The main reason sailors can't cross oceans is time, money or commitments not lack of competance.

I still say crossing oceans in a well found vessel at the right time of year is no big deal. Between the excitement and dangers of leaving and arriving, the daily routine of looking after your vessel and yourself can even get boring after a few weeks.

Quote:
I don't understand your point about needing toys for the first and last mile. What equipment are you talking about? An anchor?
Ha ha! Yes, an anchor is more than a 'toy' though some I've seen in marinas would come into that catagory! You said you don't use 95% of the gear we have been talking about here and I agree with you that offshore they are not essential but nice to have.

But modern electronics are very useful inshore for the solo sailor and all of us. GPS Map, autopilot (I also found the remote wifi controller very useful), echo sounder, VHF, mobile phone, internet and so on have made life easier.

My plastic boat has lots of 'toys' but my 1885 smack in my avatar has no toys, no engine, no winches and no electrics. At 65 foot overall people assume that she has an engine and are suprised that I can't stop and go in reverse. When she fished, everyone knew that and when they bumped a bit in harbour and knocked some tar off the topsides nobody cared. A compass, charts and lead line see me through but I never go into a marina and never sail solo so sailing her is fun but more restrictive with no 'toys'.
smacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:06   #102

Boat: Avon Rib, 65hp

Neil,
I'd go so far as to add a couple more 'very's to that device! LOL
I like the electronic age, our three young kids love teaching about tablets and smartphones to their poor old dad and I love showing them how to fix their devices when they go south. LOL
Cheers,
Mac
Old 10-10-2013, 08:37   #103

My point is, that this started out about tips on solo sailing, not on what you should load your boat up with. There are some nice toys out there but they don't substitute for getting out there and sailing. I do not mean to insult anyone and I'm sorry if anyone took it that way. That is a very nice boat Smackman. But I still say that crossing an ocean, in a well found boat, at the right time of year, ALONE, is a big deal. Maybe I am wrong, but I still don't see many doing it. Maybe they don't have an interest in doing it. The one piece of equipment I would not sail without is a good wind vane. And a good anchor.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:44   #104
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymadman View Post

So the best tip for single-handing is to go single-handing? I would have thought that was a given :-)
That's probably the best tip so far there is no perfect formula, every boat and sailor is different. And even on this esteemed forum maybe only 10% of Internet advice is really worth listening to. There's a lot to be said for keeping an open mind and just going out there to see what works. Singlehanding lessons are not easily forgotten, when you mess up there's just you to sort it out!
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:30   #105

Boat: Hake 32RK

Sounds like you are all set. I have a Hake 32RK which, while wheel steered, has a stern hung rudder so backing into a slip with currents and cross winds was exciting to say the least. I added a bow thruster and that made single hand docking in even adverse conditions very easy and as comfortable as you can get when maneuvering in tight quarters. It was the best boat investment I ever made and has come in handy in many other situations as well!
Mauruuru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
singlehanding