Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2015, 06:51   #31

Boat: Adams 40
Re: Singlehanded Boat for the world

I sail a steel Adams 40 aft cockpit, shallow draft,cutter rig with all lines coming back to the deep cockpit. I would thoroughly recommend the Adams as fast, sea kindly , Australian boats that can take you anywhere. Many have sailed the world and are not a 'big 40' and can be easily handled solo if you set them up right. There's lots for sale in Aust. at various prices, configurations, aft, centre cockpits,deep keels ,long keels, lifting and so on. I've had mine nearly 16 years and have done a lot of single handing and trust the boat.She tracks beautifully down wind and with a clean bum really moves off the wind. Joe Adams designed great boats including Sydney-Hobart winners .
Steel will give you more peace of mind but higher maintenance.
Don't go too small, you need to carry a lot of stuff and you might get lucky and meet a suitable sailing partner .Good luck ��
Dave Isom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 06:56   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Holy S. 23 hours???
Something like +27 knots average. I chatted with one of the guys on the boat, said the customs man in Bermuda accused them of lying.

http://spinsheet.com/breymaier-and-l...-smash-record/
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 07:21   #33

Boat: a sailing boat

You choices are limitless. But I feel you should go in a boat that matches your sailing skills: a more racey design if you are from the racing background, a more sedate design if you lack the gut, response and drive as seen in racing souls.

34 is still very small in the SO. Marginally safe in the summer perhaps. Maybe except for some out and out SO optimized 34 designs but I am not sure there are many.

I believe there was that requirement time back that the rtw SO race boats were supposed to be X LWL minimum. Dig into those early years and they may give you some indication of what is considered "safe" out there.

If I were to have my (personal, biased and spoiled) pick, and if I were to go in a small boat, I would buy or build another Greyhound (Dizk Zaal) alloy boat. I think a FanFan like this could take one fast and 'effortlessly' downwind and upwind and give some shade of promise that she will come back in one piece when you get smacked and slapped. When, not if.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 07:37   #34

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
@ Goat @Reefmagnet Where the H. is Rimas now anyway? Last was SF.
Good question Monkey. He's changed the security settings on his FB page so you'll need to send a friend request.
https://www.facebook.com/rimas.meleshyus

Looking at the never ending thread on SA, it seems he's in American Samoa awaiting a backstay repair, then it's off to New Zealand.
Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24 - Sailing Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums

Some people plan, some people do. You need a bit of both to be successful in life.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 11:16   #35
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

@ Goat seems the SA gang is slicing and dicing him. He appears to be begging for money and doing none of the work! Perhaps the Samoans will make a meal of 'im. Sad.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 11:53   #36

Boat: a sailing boat

"...begging for money..." a.k.a 'doing a project'

They all have a project today. It is a weightless world you know. Then again they are in the boats and if anything hits anything then they are the first and often only ones to take it full force in the face.

As long as they are not on collision course with me ... fine ;-)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 18:41   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Read this book. A whole chapter dedicated to the size and type boat.

http://www.amazon.com/Singlehanded-S.../dp/0070281645
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 14:48   #38

Boat: S&S 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post

Rhetorical Question Follows:

Perhaps the boats fit their budgets better than something new, much more expensive, and purpose built for singlehanded racing (or 'record setting') in the Southern Ocean?
I just read "Singlehanded Sailing" by Andrew Evans who has a chapter on this question. His answer is the boat you already own.

The boat you own is determined by lots of things. Your budget, where you live, what boats are available, are you willing to bring back an old boat to its former glory.

What's the point of the recommendation to find a CAL 3x if the yacht was never sold locally. Like the original questioner I live in Melbourne and I just bought a SS34. There's no way I'm heading RTW but it's the smallest boat I would comfortably sail in Bass Strait. It's also 42 years old and at a price point I can afford, but it allows me to break into the boat ownership market and move on from crewing other people's boats.

I bought Evans book not because I want to single hand but for some of the ideas regarding setting up a yacht for simplified sailing. We'll cruise mostly as a couple and race with 4 or 5. That's manageable to organise, not the crew of 13 I'm used to racing 50 footers in offshore races. Sailing as a couple, night watches are singlehanded, but at least you know you'll get some sleep when the watch ends.

iMHO The 34 is too small to live aboard for any extended period of time whether it's in a marina pen or the southern ocean going round in circles - other people may live more simply or be made of tougher stuff.
Paul
Misty II
Misty iI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single