Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2017, 12:21   #1

Boat: Herreschoff Diddikai 39
single handed sailors which boat?

Looking for a better boat for single handed sailing across the Pacific. What kind of boat do you have? Thank you!!
fgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 12:27   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: single handed sailors which boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgraham View Post
Looking for a better boat for single handed sailing across the Pacific. What kind of boat do you have? Thank you!!
Andrew Evans says the best boat is the one you have, the worst boat is the one you are going to buy next year.
http://sfbaysss.net/resource/doc/Sin...irdEdition.pdf
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 12:41   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgraham View Post
I have a Beneteau 393. If I had a choice it would be similar brand, a bit bigger, up to 50 foot.
Essentially I would have in mast furling main. The number of times I worry if a reef is going to ham in or out is Reduculous. And is saves money without covers, lazy Jack's and reefs.

And an extra clutch cleat or two in the banks.

That's all.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 16:21   #4

Boat: Frers, Pilothouse, 72ft

I guess it really depends on what kind of Sailor you are....and of course where you are planning on Sailing (In your case the Pacific).
Over the years I have met so many Singlehanders on a variety of Boats, from minuscule 16ft mono's to 72ft Steel Ketch's (My Boat) they've all cross Oceans, most were in the middle of circumnavigating, so, I guess even a floating bucket would do for some rare breed of Sailor.....
As everyone is aware, Sailing Solo can and will really push you to your limits when you enter the zone of crossing Oceans, having accurate Weather Forecasts is a must have, along with all the safety gear and good Sat Comms/Internet.
Comfort and Safety are my priorities, knowing that if I did get into some unforeseen Weather, my Boat will be able to punch through and hopefully I'll have some more stories to tell at the next Marina.
Eliminating "Fancy" equipment ensures reliability, I personally prefer the standard sails setup, Lazy jacks and zipping up the Covers as I inspect the Sails every time I lower them for signs of any stress points, tears etc. and I'm a big fan of keeping the C of G down as low as I can.
I also prefer "Handraulic" Winches (excluding Anchor)....they always work (if you keep them maintained, just like everything else).
Pacific would probably dictate at least a 50ft hull for comfort / safety....a Sloop Rig for less work....yes, I know you can get away with crossing the Pacific with a lot less boat....but??? Again, it all depends on what type of Sailor you are....
Old 04-08-2017, 16:46   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Either of the boats I have now have done extensive offshore work all three have been to hawaii and back. For me personally I like my defender. But for comfort and speed I liked my spencer 42. All were and are setup for single handing any vessel can be.setup for single handing all depends on your comfort level and ability.
Old 04-08-2017, 21:03   #6

There is a Westerly 33 all setup on another thread and prepositioned in the Caribbean for you !
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:01   #7

Also check boats for sale in Panama. Many boats languishing there so a buying opportunity for you. Either side of the canal should have plenty of opportunities.

If you won't pass through the canal on your own keel definitely hop on as crew on someone else's boat so you get that experience.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 15:51   #8

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

What is your budget?
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 23:56   #9

Boat: Freedom 38

Freedom 38. Just did a singlehand qualifier to race solo to Hawaii that was 200 miles out and back. I myself got beat to smithereens, but the boat handled herself including holding steady on AP for 90% (or more) of the time with winds up to 32 knots and 10' confused seas and swell.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 00:42   #10

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I love my boat, but your question made me think of a Cal 28 right off the bat.
Then again, it might be nice to have a little more room...
I know a guy who used to singlehand a Cal 40 around, with no engine too! Not sure I'd recommend that last part.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:37   #11

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

This list ain't comprehensive by any means. It's one I've been working on for myself, & is a work in progress. Which, I may post it over on Sailing Anarchy Forums to see what the mob over there has to add to it. But still, it gives you some good general ideas of what to ponder on when looking at various boats.

One or two key things about the below, & criteria in general, than many people either neglect to consider, or don’t think to. Is that there will be times when you’ll be sick, & by that I mean something more severe than a cold. As well as times when you’ll have a sprained wrist/hand, ankle, knee, or wrenched back/shoulder. So when considering a candidate boat, as well as the below ideas, ponder how hard it’ll be to do things onboard if/when you find yourself in such a state. And also, setup your systems so that the boat is operable by someone who’s but 5’ tall, & 100lbs, or even a 12yr old. Since sometimes you may have crew this size onboard keeping watch, & or, looking after you when you’re ill, while doing all of the necessary chores onboard as well.

As to the boat: Pretty much it boils down to the one which will wear you out the least by virtue of performing basic tasks on them. Such as;
- Ease of Changing sails, & Reefing
- Her Motion being restful vs. tiring
- How well balance the hull form is, & how easy she is to steer with sails. So that it’s easy for you & the AP/Vane to steer her.
- How well the AP/Vane keeps her on course. Especially without her wildly slewing about downwind.
- A seriously overbuilt primary rudder & steering system. Along with the same in your emergency rudder & steering.
Perhaps to include various Drogue Setups, to assist you when in Limp Home mode. And more than one of them, each optimized for various seas states & conditions.
- The boat’s energy management in order to keep up with constant draws like; Nav Lights, AP, Radar, AIS, VHF, GPS, Plotter. And “Other Basics” like lights, fans, water maker, etc.
- How much Energy it takes to get from your bunk to a good viewpoint to check the horizon 360 deg.
- How much Energy it takes to get dressed (especially in foulies & warm gear)
- Restfulness & Comfort of your bunk.
- Noise levels onboard, especially below decks in heavier winds or weather.
- Can you comfortably bunk in the cockpit, while wearing foul weather in order to keep tabs on things? For a day or three at a stretch that is.
- How much you have to go up & down the companionway to cross check your navigation, as well as your Radar/AIS picture with what you see visually?

- Are your paper charts, cruising guides, & nav ref's all easily at hand? And is the boat setup so that they're easy to read/use in low light, so as not to fry your night vision? Ditto the lighting on your electronic nav gear.
- Multiple assured methods of keeping your electronic nav gear dry. And which are simple to use, so that you'll always use them, religiously.
- Ease of Companionway Use, Especially when in foulies, 4 layers of warm clothes, boots, harness & PFD
- Ease of Solo Anchoring, Including a Windlass Remote
- Galley Ergonomics, & Ease of Cooking. Including Stores Layout. And possibly reefer/freezer efficiency.
- How dry she is in terms of the following;
* green water sweeping the decks via large waves,
* spray,
* being able to be totally UNDER a dodger/pilothouse while underway. And trim, reef, etc. while under their. Including when not wearing your foulies.
- Heating Systems Efficacy (& redundancy). Almost any good cruising boat needs one. SIC To include an effective foulie & boots drying setup, preferably in a dedicated locker located where they’ll bring little water into the boat’s living spaces.
- Can you steer from inside, or from the companionway/under the dodger with the AP remote, while staying warm & dry? Especially in F7/F8 or greater, & or when beam reaching at speed, etc.
- How dry does your primary bunk near the companionway stay, ditto on being draft free?
- Which boat has the least leak prone interior, especially including deck fittings over bunks?
- Which boat is least likely to get pooped, thus partially soaking her interior (despite the washboards being in place)
- KISS Sail stowage, especially if many are stowed belowdecks. And built in facilities in & around same for proper drainage & drying.Including bringing/keeping a minimum of water into the boat’s living areas.
- Fuel economy, & Range Under Power
- Sailing performance, especially in light air. Including an excellent sail inventory.
- Canvas Inventory, Such as: Dodger, Awning/Boom Tent, Sail Covers/Bags, plus 101 other similar things.
- Tankage: Water, Fuel, Effluent
- Ease of Engine Access. Especially for changing fuel filters, & bleeding the engine.
- Ditto the above for engine oil & filters. Along with a system for containing spilled oil or fuel, even when the boat's well heeled over, so that you don't wind up with oil all over the cabin sole. Or worse.
- A fire suppression system for the engine room which works to put out fires without your needing to open said compartment to put the fire, or suspected fire, out.
- Really, really good engine room sound insulation. And also ventilation.
- Simple, Reliable, Easy to Maintain Gear that is also Easy to Get Parts for. Even with a marginal supply chain.
- Sails that are easy to Maintain. Ditto Running Rigging & Deck Hardware. Including stuff which is easy to fix or rebuild while underway.
- Safety gear which makes sense. Both in general, & specifically for you & your boat. Not what some catalog, or yacht club board thinks works best or is "mandatory".

Many of these items scream multihull to me. Though of course common wisdom/common fallacy is that a smaller boat takes less work. But this isn't necessarily true if the slightly larger boat is well setup. Especially if she's much more ergonomic based on many/most of the criteria mentioned above. And that her motion is less extreme, thus making her easier to move around on, get quality rest, & generally feel more at ease.

These comments of course leave out the differences between the various choices in terms of how much effort will need to be put into continuous maintenance, including while at sea. And particularly when it's time for a stint in the yard. Along with, of course, budget(s).
Well thought out, minimalistic systems pay big dividends in this, both at sea,

EDIT: As noted, read Andy Evans's book! And read this ENTIRE thread -->
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/whats-the-best-boat-youve-ever-owned-163428.html#post2082019
This is a good one too. Call it a boat buying "DIY Sticky" --> http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/southern-cross-31-versus-island-packet-31-a-172247.htmlAnd of course, follow the links in it.

Also, sail, race, & deliver as many other boats as possible. Especially to include deliveries, where everything is done shorthanded. Ditto on doing such types of racing if at all possible. And take notes on what features about them that you both like & dislike. Naught beats real world, experientIal learning!

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:20   #12

Any boat you like, make it boat singlehand friendly.
That I do, mine is racer/cruiser, more like racer but I am rearranging set ups. Olson 30 is very good boat to sail singlehanded and crossing pacific. Get there fast!
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 14:13   #13

Boat: Swan 432

Pacific Seacraft 37.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:24   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Olson 30

Thanks for mentioning my book earlier. There is a newer version of the free book available here: Resources | Singlehanded Sailing Society
I have a whole chapter on the features of a good singlehanded boat. Personally, about one year from now I expect the Figaro Beneteau II boats to be going for about half price. This is literally the perfect singlehanded boat, and one of an extremely few designed for it.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:01   #15

Crazy.... I just bought a 46' Hunter and I only have my left arm, and this is one of the first threads that came up when I registered. I didn't think the one handed sailing population would be this large.
ZebProctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, single