Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2018, 16:20   #16

Boat: Tayana 37
Re: Single handed, Med vessel and moorage choice

If you are buying in the UK and as you state, that you need to build up experience, I would suggest that the rias between Cap Finisterre and Vigo should be om your list of locations to build up experience prior to considering a lengthy passage to the Mediterranean.

The rias there, with many marinas and repair facilities are comparatively close to Viana de Castelo and an entire year there would be of benefit to allow day sailing with multiple options and facilities as needed and be easier to access by road from your base in Viana de C,

The Atlantic coast of Portugal is a lee shore and has very few locations accessible in bad weather.
In the Med, it can be problematic for a single hander to dock using the Mediterranean mooring system.

Good luck and fair winds.
kish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 02:20   #17

Boat: Vancouver 27'

I now recall why I discarded the notion of a Sadler 29, in favor of a Sadler 34. The 29's are an average $6,400 less than the 34 footer. About 25%.

As I am retired and will need to budget my cruising, will I see much of a difference in cost of moorage, repair and maintenance. By shaving off 5 feet? $6400 would be useful for refit, whle space would be comfort. Am I better off smaller?
sepharad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 03:48   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Single handed, Med vessel and moorage choice

Marina rates are worked in 8m-10m, 10m-12m, 12m-14m and so on.. So at 10.36m you'll be charged the same as an 11.99m boat.. makes a difference.
Its also down to personal comfort.. suggest when you go to check out the S34, check out an S29 while youre at it.

https://m.apolloduck.com/boat/sadler-29/517375

Maybe consider the S32 which gives you 3ft extra and keeps you under 10m.

https://m.apolloduck.com/boat/sadler-32/584569

Must confess I prefer the transom hung rudder on the 29's.
Happy hunting..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 08:55   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Moor the boat as close to your non sailing residence. Haven't seen a boat that I haven't spent a ton of time and sometimes money modifying it to fit my needs as well as general maintenance. If the boat is a country away you won't be able to easily do those things and may have to spend big money hiring someone else to do simple stuff. There are a lot of things having to do with a boat that you won't want to take with you on your cruise. Being able to easily offload to your domicile will make for a lot less cluttered boat. Have commuted to boats sometimes thousands of miles away and it's meant schlepping tools, etc. back and forth or buying a duplicate set of whatever so not having to haul things around.
The above is the best and most practical advice. If your intention is to go to Med but work on your boat first, stay in Viano your home port and when ready go to Med.
Lippe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single