Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2014, 13:09   #1

Single Handed Live aboard for two?

Not my first boat but certainly my first sail. The wife and I want to relocate to Florida and kill two birds per say. Live on it and gain experience until I have the skills to head towards PR DR Bahamas ect. Plan to stay from December to March yearly and spend hurricane season back safe and sound in tornado territory.

Like boats in the 32 to 38 range from a looks perspective only. Not to big not to small. Here is a list of things I think I want but need advice of more or less knowing where I want to go with this.

Mid 80.s to early 90's Boat
Right now the French boats have my eye.

Shallow draft under 5'
wheel steering
auto pilot
refrigeration
a/c
propane stove remote tank gimbled
hot water / pressure
radar

like to have
digital tv
solar or wind power charging system
anchor winch
advanced electronics gps plotter ect

What else? What to much?
Most important things to do after I find a boat I like at a price I can afford. Thanks
Woodsmaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 14:51   #2

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Single Handed Live aboard for two?

These are mostly items for interior comfort. Personally, I'd use a laptop than worry about a TV. But if you're planning to single hand the boat, then you need to look at how it's set up to do that: where are the winches located, how strong is the auto pilot, where do the halyards and reefing lines run, does it have furling or hanked on head sails, etc. These and the conditions of these items (plus others such as the rigging, tanks, and engine) should help steer you to an appropriate boat.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 15:57   #3

Boat: 42 Passage CC
Send a message via Skype™ to Artful Dodger

One boat you might want to have a look at is the 33OI Morgan, we lived aboard 7 years and I single handed it well the wife was aboard. You most likely should find one at a good price but will need some work. When I got mine was able to get the phone number of Charlie Morgan and put the question to him about when he built the boat what didn't he put in the boat that he should of, his answer was more ballast. So with addition of larger fuel tank, larger water tank and two windlass's with 300 feet of chain on each one, brought the boat from 16,000 lbs to 20,000lbs. This difference made the boat more stable and made it feel like a tank, indestructible.
Artful Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 17:16   #4

Boat: Island Packet 27

Just my opinion. Keep things simple. You list a lot of equipment that will certainly make the trip more comfortable, and will certainly fail, and will certainly take a lot of time and money to fix.
Captaintim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 18:12   #5

Boat: csy 37

and if you want air conditioning away from the dock, you'll need a generator.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 18:25   #6

Great idea on the laptop, certainly I will have one anyway so two birds. I am very concerned about the rigging and set up. Since its my first sail I don't even know what would define a "strong" pilot. I am also concerned as you state about the ease of which the sails raise and detract. Totally unaware of how that should be set up, what options can be installed to make that easy / efficient. Should I pay someone to inspect rigging? Since I am new another big concern for me is through hulls. Shafts bearings cutlass packing what ever is there, again I am new at this sailing thing so all this is new to me.
Old 25-02-2014, 18:28   #7

On the ac thing, is it something you really need while underway? Can you stay relatively comfortable with fans and winds?
Old 25-02-2014, 18:34   #8

I agree with the keep it simple take completely. The issue is there is I have a wife. A wife who has become accustomed to living a lifestyle considerably more comfortable than a boat I can afford offers. So I need to move as far towards that end as I can without passing the limits of reason or budget.
Old 25-02-2014, 18:44   #9

On the boat itself. I am really interested in what everyone has to say about quality builds. Bells and whistles come and go but a solid base and quality sets the foundation for longevity. I don't want to find out a year from now that I bought a pig that had lots of lipstick because of my own ignorance.
Old 25-02-2014, 18:48   #10

So you liked the morgan. How did you get along with this length and two aboard? What specifics of your layout did you enjoy most about your morgan? Any specifics of this build or brand concerning defects or known problem areas one should look for when inspecting a morgan for condition?
Old 25-02-2014, 19:23   #11

Maybe I missed it but do you have a price in mind or a limit on what you want to spend on the boat? That will determine a lot and will help with the selection of a boat.

Also like someone said above, if you want AC away from the dock you'll need a generator. Hot water can be had by running your engine or from shore power if you dock. How much you plan on docking will determine a lot about what you will need. If you will be docking a lot you may not need solar or wind generator. If you aren't planning on docking then solar or wind or both is almost a must unless you plan on running your engines a good bit which is an awful racket to me when sailing. Also listed above, I bought a laptop with a big screen and that's my TV. Digital TV can get expensive. I gave up TV. Few years ago and just have an external hard drive with movies or I listen to the radio.
Old 25-02-2014, 19:54   #12

I am hoping to buy in the 15-25K range with a total first year investment in the 20-30 range. I hope to stay above the 30' mark. I figure I have about 6 months to spend getting in shape for winter 2014.
Old 25-02-2014, 20:07   #13

Well it's a buyers market. Just realize just about anything in that price range is going to need a lot to get it ready to go. Little items add up quickly, and spending $10,000 is nothing. If you decide to go for a bigger boat instead of a quality boat that's fine, until you find yourself in heavy weather when all you can do is trust your boat...and then you'll realize it wasn't worth it. I bought a boat that was basically "ready to go"...and then I've invested easily $15,000 and I'd still like a few additional items, and yet I kept it simple. Just with a dodger, a new sail cover, solar power, and autopilot I have $6000. Just something to think about.
Old 25-02-2014, 20:12   #14

First year I plan to day sail a lot. Moving to longer journeys as I gain experience. I hope to venture out by winter 2015 to the Bahamas and beyond. My goal is to be out for 3-4 monthes out of the year each year during the season.
Old 25-02-2014, 20:13   #15

Boat: 2002 catalina 390

Go to yachtworld.com and plug in those numbers and Florida. 1985-1993 turns up 115 boats in that size/age. Sort through them and cull out the ones you don't want first, then ask questions about the rest.
mikeguyver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single