Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2013, 12:18   #1

Single hand a C&C 35 1974?

Im looking at a C&C 35 with main halyard winch by the mast and traveler in the cockpit in front of the wheel. I'm thinking might be hard to single hand. Anybody had one that was okay? Should I pay to move lines aft; then try to deal with taveler?
dlw297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 12:27   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Single hand a C&C 35 1974?

If you buy the boat, sail it as it is. Most boats of that era did not have all lines led aft and single-handing them does not really present a problem. It may be that you will want to change the set-up later but I would not worry about it. Leading all the lines aft will not be cheap. As a separate issue, why would you want to move the traveller?
Old 22-08-2013, 12:31   #3

Handling a 35' boat, if your running rigging is arranged properly should be no problem.

People who actually own the C&C 35 are in a better position to recommend specific arrangements, but typically bringing your halyards and reef lines through organizers and clutches to the cockpit is recommended. A two speed winch just before your clutches nearest to the cockpit to handle your halyards is required. But, some sailors prefer halyards are controlled with winches at the mast because there is less friction involved. Where the organizers, clutches and winch are actually located depends upon placement of dodgers and such.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 12:37   #4

Boat: Valiant 40

"Hard to single hand" is relative to what you want and/or need. Plenty of sailors single hand much larger boats with rigging that is not entirely optimized to the task.

Virtually any boat of that size can be configured for single handing, and the degree of convenience, safety, and efficiency is a function of your ingenuity, your skill, and the depth of your pocketbook.

I would not choose a boat based on whether it can be single handed. I would buy the right boat based on more fundamental criteria (size, cost, condition, intended purpose, air draft, etc.), sail it for awhile, and figure out what I needed to do to meet my needs.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 13:31   #5

thanks
Family sails but often single hand hence concern on lines aft and traveler
in cockpit. Main winch fwd is ok but I'm wondering about jib trim w traveler
in cockpit.
dlw297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 13:36   #6

My Bristol has no traveller, just the post in front of the wheel, and I've been sailing it for 3 years like that. You have the option to not adjust the traveller, you are just losing a tiny bit of performance, that's all.

Surely the option to adjust the traveller and the main sheet from the helm is a plus for single-handing, not a minus?

Bringing the lines aft doesn't have to cost a fortune, I certainly wouldn't pay to have it done. You need about $300 to $400 of parts to bring the main sheet aft.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 13:38   #7

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlw297 View Post
thanks
Family sails but often single hand hence concern on lines aft and traveler
in cockpit. Main winch fwd is ok but I'm wondering about jib trim w traveler
in cockpit.
How will the traveller in the cockpit affect jib trim?? The traveller is for the mainsail.
Old 22-08-2013, 13:59   #8

Boat: csy 37

my friend dave sails the same boat (i think it's even the same year) between florida and connecticut every year - singlehanded. it's a good old boat although his is badly in need of a paint job....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 14:07   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
How will the traveller in the cockpit affect jib trim?? The traveller is for the mainsail.
I think he means it will physically impede him from reaching the winches.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 14:08   #10

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Different boat, same era, and we have the halyard at the mast and it works ok for singlehanded for us. Our traveller is behind the wheel, but I can't see how that affects anything, just as long as the main sheet is in easy reach.

On the last boat, 20 footer, everything was run aft, which just compensated for the fact that I could not stand at the mast itself, there was no other apparent gain.

I found the thing that makes the most difference to single handing for me is the ability to hold a course for a minute or two while I work on the main, (or whatever required attention) so an autopilot was the big step forward, though with our older, heavier, more directionally stable boat, sometimes just a bit of cord to lash the wheel works ok for long enough anyway.

Now coming into the pen... THAT is the real problem with single handing. Haven't worked that one out yet.

Matt
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 14:13   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post

Now coming into the pen... THAT is the real problem with single handing. Haven't worked that one out yet.

Matt
One of the reasons I avoid marinas like the plague! Another reason is that just like in parking lots, the chance you'll be in an accident is pretty high.
Old 22-08-2013, 14:15   #12

I have this very boat. I've sailed it by myself plenty. It came with one winch on the cabin top for a previous main sheet arrangement which I have repurposed to serve the main halyard. That plus a Dutchman make handling the main a little more convenient. Other than that...just wear shoes because you WILL have to move fast and stub your toe eventually.
phmccartney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 14:28   #13

Just get a good autopilot. I prefer all reefing and halyards at the mast myself. Have single handed to 47 feet that way.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 14:30   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
DLW,

I own and single hand a Tartan 33. She too has the traveler in front if the wheel. When I got her, the main halyard was controlled at the mast. Since then, I invested in a turning block, deck organizer/pulley and moved the clutch off the mast to just forward of the secondary winches.

Having sailed her for a year.... The traveler is no issue where it is and I like the ease of being able to trim the main sheet and traveler from the wheel. Trimming the jib is not an issue. I am not convinced that mid-boom sheeting is a good thing- but that could be more opinion than fact.

I am glad that I moved the main halyard to the cockpit. As a "newbie" with this size of boat, it allows me to crank up the main from inside the cockpit, versus tethered on deck. It also makes stowing the sail easier. I pop the clutch loose, get on deck, flip it to the "free" position with my foot to get the line free, then stand on the halyard between the clutch and organizer. As I am ready to flake a part of the sail, I lift my foot and drop some sail. When I move up to my next boat (mine is on the market), the main halyard and reefing lines will be led aft. The downside of the main halyard in the cockpit is if I do not get her into the wind, the main can snag when being lifted. Clearing it is a PITA as it requires a trip on deck and then back quickly to continue to lift.

Hope this helps in your decision.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 14:51   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
DLW,

I own and single hand a Tartan 33. She too has the traveler in front if the wheel. When I got her, the main halyard was controlled at the mast. Since then, I invested in a turning block, deck organizer/pulley and moved the clutch off the mast to just forward of the secondary winches.

Having sailed her for a year.... The traveler is no issue where it is and I like the ease of being able to trim the main sheet and traveler from the wheel. Trimming the jib is not an issue. I am not convinced that mid-boom sheeting is a good thing- but that could be more opinion than fact.

I am glad that I moved the main halyard to the cockpit. As a "newbie" with this size of boat, it allows me to crank up the main from inside the cockpit, versus tethered on deck. It also makes stowing the sail easier. I pop the clutch loose, get on deck, flip it to the "free" position with my foot to get the line free, then stand on the halyard between the clutch and organizer. As I am ready to flake a part of the sail, I lift my foot and drop some sail. When I move up to my next boat (mine is on the market), the main halyard and reefing lines will be led aft. The downside of the main halyard in the cockpit is if I do not get her into the wind, the main can snag when being lifted. Clearing it is a PITA as it requires a trip on deck and then back quickly to continue to lift.

Hope this helps in your decision.
Great advice from an obviously very experienced single hander!

I am in full agreement about the questionable placement of a main sheet at the middle of the boom. Also wouldn't place my preventer there for the same reason. If your boom ever takes a dip, the boom could at the very least be damaged - at worst break in half. But, I see that most preventers are placed here or somewhat forward of mid boom. Both the preventer and main sheet are at the end of the boom on my boat.

Tags
single