Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2015, 18:12   #1

Significant Port helm while under power

I am in the final stages of purchasing a 2003 Hunter 356. The sail boat has a Yanmar 27 HP motor and a MAX Propeller. When under power the boat wants to turn port at higher RPMs (2,500+). I have to counter with a constant turning nudge to starboard. Is this normal? If not do you have any thoughts as to what would cause this?
Tigue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 18:23   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Significant Port helm while under power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigue View Post
I am in the final stages of purchasing a 2003 Hunter 356. The sail boat has a Yanmar 27 HP motor and a MAX Propeller. When under power the boat wants to turn port at higher RPMs (2,500+). I have to counter with a constant turning nudge to starboard. Is this normal? If not do you have any thoughts as to what would cause this?
I can hazard a guess that there is prop-wash on the rudder causing the issue. Is the helm fair while sailing? Have you talked to other Hunter owners? There probably is a Hunter owner's forum.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 18:37   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Go read this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propeller_walk
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 19:32   #4

I did not notice it while under sail. But honestly I was not paying attention as the wind was shifting constantly and at various velocities. But motoring straight forward it became obvious when throttling at higher speeds. The prop walk may make sense but it seems a little me noticeable then basic prop walk. Just enough that is mildly concerning. It has a "MAX" prop on it which I wonder if that could have a significant influence on this. I will try to find a Hunter blog as well. Thanks for input.
Tigue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 19:38   #5

Boat: Traditional 30

It will happen under sail on both tacks. Either lee or weather helm.
Under motor its Prop Walk.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 22:54   #6

Boat: 1988 Ericson 34

I have the same problem on my boat, an Ericson 34. The previous owner struggled with it and never found a solution. Presumably, it is due to a prop shaft that is not aligned with the centerline of the boat. It's annoying, and I tend to use the autopilot when under power. There is no hint of it under sail - the Ericson tracks extremely well. I would certainly not buy a boat that did not behave the same way on both tacks under sail (weather- or lee-helm has nothing to do with this nor, IMHO, does prop walk).
Teranodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 23:09   #7

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
There are various types of Max-props to-blade, 3 blade and even 4 blade. I have a 3 blade and I have to say there are virtually no prop walk issues. Actually sometimes I wish it had a bit more propwalk to make docking in tight spaces a bit easier.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 23:17   #8

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Prop shaft misalignment will cause significant "pull" in my experience. My boat, when first purchased, noticeably pulled to one side under power. I assumed it was prop walk although it was severe enough to be somewhat tiring to helm after a while. Not too long afterwards I discovered that the (new) engine installer (an alleged professional employed by the PO) had not bothered to tighten up the rear mounts and presumably had not bothered to align the shaft. Replaced the mounts and realigned the shaft and the problem vanished. Not sure how much misalignment was there to begin with, but I was surprised at how much affect it had on the steerage under power.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:31   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Tigue.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:04   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
It will happen under sail on both tacks. Either lee or weather helm.
Under motor its Prop Walk.
Ditto on the prop walk, from the OP's explanation.

Not long ago there was thread on that and the OP did find the answer to his pulling only on motoring. As I recall he wasn't over proped but changing prop design solved it. He might go back and find that to be of interest
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:07   #11

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Prop shaft misalignment will cause significant "pull" in my experience. My boat, when first purchased, noticeably pulled to one side under power. I assumed it was prop walk although it was severe enough to be somewhat tiring to helm after a while. Not too long afterwards I discovered that the (new) engine installer (an alleged professional employed by the PO) had not bothered to tighten up the rear mounts and presumably had not bothered to align the shaft. Replaced the mounts and realigned the shaft and the problem vanished. Not sure how much misalignment was there to begin with, but I was surprised at how much affect it had on the steerage under power.
I like the answer above.

IMHO, prop walk should be most noticable at LOW speeds, and especially reverse. The faster you go, the less the effect. In general people rave about maxprop products.

FWIW, I had a Hunter Legend 35.5 with a yanmar 3gmf and it tracked straight and true in forward, reverse, fast and slow.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:06   #12

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

This is a known issue with that Hunter and I doubt there is any fix for it. I use to work for one of the largest Hunter dealers. It's a design flaw. It gets worse the more you throttle up and sometimes you can even feel the rudder "wobble" while under power only. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:24   #13

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorageGuy View Post
This is a known issue with that Hunter and I doubt there is any fix for it. I use to work for one of the largest Hunter dealers. It's a design flaw. It gets worse the more you throttle up and sometimes you can even feel the rudder "wobble" while under power only. Chuck
Chuck,

That may be the best info. he will get. Chasing an impossible problem to solve wouldn't be fun.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:47   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Chuck,

That may be the best info. he will get. Chasing an impossible problem to solve wouldn't be fun.
So true. I have commissioned dozens of these right from the factory. Not an impressive boat. Wait until all the other issues start to surface. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 09-09-2015, 09:49   #15

Quote:
The reason it has a maxi-prop is because it does help the problem somewhat. With the regular prop, it will tire you out by the end of the day. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek

Tags
helm