Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-07-2017, 04:51   #46

Boat: outremer 49
Re: Should I tell the new owner.... OMG are you kidding me!?

"...Her boat, I helped pay for. "

The Facebooker, suggests the boat is in the name of the 'ex'. He paid for it. Ipso facto, the boat is in the ex's name. The sale of same is contractual, therefore issues of liability for non-merchantability of the vessel are matters of contract law only. Contractual liability can only attatch to the contracting parties, eg...the ex ( ' vendor ' ) and unsuspecting victim...I mean ...purchaser.
No liability attaches to ' Hubby' as he is not a contracting party. ( ' privity of contract ' ) It will however ( or should be) be an implied term of the contract that the vessel is fit for purpose. Depends on wording and any oral/written representations by ex reasonably expected to have been material in the purchaser's decision to purchase.

However, the OP issue is Hubby's liability to a contract he is not party to, if any.

Hubby has no liability for any breach of contract.

This is an Australian interpretation and is of no applicability outside Commonwealth countries. American contract law is based loosely on ancient Roman law as is C/Wealth law and I suspect there is some parallel.

No charge !

Old 17-07-2017, 05:56   #47

Just read this, this morning: the Golden Rule: Treat others as you wish to be treated.

Old 17-07-2017, 06:26   #48

Morally, you already know the answer. Legally, who is the seller? If you are not the seller (owner), you have no obligation to disclose. If you were to disclose, and the buyer backed out of the agreement, I don't believe you'd have any liability because your conduct is not "wrongful." And seller's obligation to disclose in any event can be limited if the sale is "as is, where is, with no warranties." Clearly, the problem is not latent or hidden and could be discovered using ordinary due diligence. Buying a large boat without an out-of-water survey is, well, not reasonably prudent.
Old 17-07-2017, 06:37   #49

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

I would always assume that any seller of anything is behaving like this. In fact the only thing unusual is that the seller actually knows the keel is falling off! On such a boat if the knew owner has not done a careful keel joint inspection I say 'let Darwin rule'. Just don't sail her yourself with crew or it's a potential manslaughter case.
Old 17-07-2017, 08:01   #50

Boat: No boat right now

The answer is in the first line of your question....its HER boat.
Not your circus, not your monkeys.
She is no longer your responsibility.
Walk away. What she tells or doesn't tell is for her to do...you need not know, or care.
Don't use the boat sale as a means to be involved in, or control her life.

My wife asked me to sell our boat. I thought we were moving up to a "go south" boat. But as soon as the boat was sold, she took the money and left. Now I have no boat, no wife, and no money. Get used to it.
Old 17-07-2017, 08:50   #51

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Walk away. What she tells or doesn't tell is for her to do...you need not know, or care.

My wife asked me to sell our boat. I thought we were moving up to a "go south" boat. But as soon as the boat was sold, she took the money and left. Now I have no boat, no wife, and no money. Get used to it.
I'm with you, he needs to stay the hell out of it. Is it possible she is "shrew" enough to be trying to put him in the position of being her agent in effect?
Old 17-07-2017, 08:57   #52

Boat: Angus Primrose One design 45ft And Duncanson 34 Mk2

If that boats keel fell off and you are discussing the fact you know its not seaworthy and you sell it as seaworthy you have just entered into a contract knowingly fraudulently declaring a product as seaworthy. I know its upto the owner to warrant his own vessel but those guys from cheeki rafiki were held liable for the demise of the boat.
Im not saying it would definitely happen but you knowingly sell an item thats not fit for service you enter into financial gaurantee therefore if something goes wrong and they prove you were part of the failing then they will claim back the financial gain and some for any demise of the vessel and its contents.
I may be wrong but its not happened yet and anything is possible these days when looking to blame.
Cheeki Rafiki: Stormforce Coaching Limited director Douglas Innes guilty of failing to ensure safety of the yacht - YBW

Good way though to get at the ex.. Make her all liable for it and something happens and shes screwed.. You are not attached to her anymore..
Old 17-07-2017, 09:08   #53

Boat: Cal 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I'm with you, he needs to stay the hell out of it. Is it possible she is "shrew" enough to be trying to put him in the position of being her agent in effect?
Yeah, I saw "Body Heat" too.
Old 17-07-2017, 09:27   #54

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Yeah, I saw "Body Heat" too.
I must have but don't recall it. I assume it has a parallel plot? I was thinking more of the woman scorned.
Old 17-07-2017, 09:35   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Brian, the OP, Sailor647, is not the owner nor the deceiver. He's just reporting someone else's Facebook posts. Not sure why, but that's how he describes the situation. So, the guy with the ex is not involved with the CF discussion. Weird.

Jim
Yep. I was incorrect, despite reading both the OP and the follow up twice. I guess I have fallen into that terrible trap of not reading and paying attention to what I read. Thanks!
Old 17-07-2017, 14:43   #56

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post

Very sorry to hear about the "surprise: your ex wife gave you! I once met a guy in his early 40's crewing on a big yacht and was chatting with him and he said he used to cruise on his own Skye 51' ketch with his wife so I asked why he was now working on someone else's boat. He told me that when they docked somewhere on the east coast of the US there was a marshall waiting there who padlocked their boat to the dock and when he asked what was going on discovered that she had initiated a divorce when ashore as they passed through the Panama Canal a few weeks earlier but hadn't told him. He thought all was OK and this docking was just a stopover, but found out he was suddenly going to be both wifeless and boatless.

I can't quite agree with your post above because, while it's technically her boat and her problem, the fact that he mentioned he had money in the boat and she asked him to help, makes me wonder if he is also going to benefit financially from the sale. If that's the case I think he at least has a moral responsibility, if not a legal one. If he doesn't stand to gain financially from this sale and they are getting divorced, why would she think he might help sell it? Good for him for getting away from someone that immoral!

If I were him and was due to benefit financially from the sale, then I'd consider myself involved so would tell her that I would help but that I felt obligated to report all the boats problems to the buyer, no matter what impact that might have on the sale, and would insist on doing so. If none of the money from the sale of the boat was coming to me, I'd thank her for reinforcing the validity of my decision to split and then put as much distance between me and her as possible, but regarding the sale of the boat I'd have nothing to do with it and would caution her that if questioned after the fact about problems the buyer was bound to become aware of at some time, as she should well know by now, I never knowingly tell a lie. Then, once cautioned, she could proceed as she wished.
Old 17-07-2017, 14:58   #57

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

^^^Nice post, jtsailjt. I agree completely.

Ann

"Today's misfortune is tomorrow's adventure."
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 15:34   #58

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

It is very simple. You see someone walking towards a cliff and apparently unaware. Several choices are available-- not my business; oh, look at the careless idiot; or yell 'look out' in a loud voice. There are many ways to describe those who take the first choices, amoral dirtbag being my preference. To me it makes no difference if I like or hate the seller, my conscience demands that I say what I know. What the proposed buyer does with the information is on him.
Old 17-07-2017, 15:40   #59

Boat: Laguna, windrose 25

good friend of mine lost his life from a unscrupulous (sp)seller who forgot to tell him the heat exchanger on the furnace was cracked and leaking. It was January. He lived two days in that house. His widow and his three girlfriends all sued.
Old 17-07-2017, 17:36   #60

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Widow and three girlfriends?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: