Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 08:11   #1

Should I take a foldable bike?

Here's the question. How does everyone get around when they're in the marina? I was looking at bicycles but I seen battery powered ones for those lazy days. If I want to go exploring it seems reasonable to have some sort of transportation.
radeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:34   #2

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Should I take a foldable bike?

We took folding bikes to Mexico. Increased our area of exploration immensely.

Also had bikes on a boat in Europe. Made the cruise much more interesting and fun.

Worth the space aboard in our opinion.
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:37   #3

Dahon Mariner foldable. Pedals like a "real" bike and fits in a (large) suitcase.
KnuckleDragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:38   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

you will CRAVE
off road fold up full sized 26 in wheels full roll cage and other needed extras for when ye get to the places you would not get caught dead driving in----because, if you wouldnt drive there, you are definitely not safe riding there- full security system including return to owner......

with removable packs and pump nfor tires and a tool kit and ....
electric motor.....

if you explore farther than 2-3miles, would you enjoy a small tiny 16 or 20 inch wheeled bike, or a 26 in wheel--dahon makes those also--and are well rated.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:41   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
Here's what we found:

If you ride a bike when you're not cruising you will ride a bike when you are...

If you don't ride a bike you won't ride one when you are.

SB
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:51   #6

Boat: OEM, proportional

Something like this little gem would be handy:

Di Blasi of America - FOLDING MOTORCYCLE MOTOR BIKE MINIBIKE MOTORBIKE MOPED COLLAPSABLE MOTORSCOOTER PORTABLE SCOOTER MINI-BIKES MINI BIKE PRIVATE PILOTS BOATS SAILING RECREATION TOURISTS ACCESSORIES TRAVEL AIRPLANES ALTERNATE TRANSPORTATION VEHICLE

weighs 64lb, carries 320lb, 130mpg, max speed 30mph.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:06   #7

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

In some places powered bikes push the limits of what qualifies as a motorcycle and therefore requires a local drivers license.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:18   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie
In some places powered bikes push the limits of what qualifies as a motorcycle and therefore requires a local drivers license.
That was a concern. Electric bikes are expensive. I was hoping since they have pedals they would pass as a bicycle. Thanks everyone for responding.
radeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:21   #9

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by radeo View Post
That was a concern. Electric bikes are expensive. I was hoping since they have pedals they would pass as a bicycle. Thanks everyone for responding.
Seems you would be more likely to get away with electric bike, but couldn't say for sure, no actual experience with them.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:21   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

depends on where you are going -- sailing the usa coast=yes going to the bahamas=no - to colombia=no to panama=no to trinidad=maybe
some of carib isl=yes to some no to others
we have friends that just put theirs up for sale as they carried them and rarely used them -
we don't have them and found if we work at it a bit we can get local cheap transportation to get around - and we do not have to worry about getting run over -

again - think about where you are going

just our opinion
chuck patty and svsoulmates
in trinidad for hurricane season
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:21   #11

Boat: Tartan 30

I wouldn't worry about electric (assisted pedal) bikes passing. But motorized bikes, mopeds, etc. may be a concern.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:32   #12
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Ah, what a timely post. we were just talking about folding bikes yesterday. We can import a couple at the moment on our cruising permit without paying customs duty here.

I had found the Dahon Mariner. I'm still trying to figure out what several of the ads mean by 'internal 7 speed hub'. Every photo and video I have seen of the Mariner model definitely show it with a rear derailleur, and NOT an internal hub. Obviously I'd like to see an aluminum bike with an internal hub. I fight a lot of rust.

I wonder how these bikes hold up with large people on unpaved roads. I'm 230 lbs. with a lot of offroad bicycling experience. Are these tough enough for truly un-improved roads and trails?
Old 05-08-2012, 09:42   #13
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Ah, what a timely post. we were just talking about folding bikes yesterday. We can import a couple at the moment on our cruising permit without paying customs duty here.

I had found the Dahon Mariner. But I wonder how these bikes hold up with large people on unpaved roads. I'm 230 lbs. with a lot of offroad bicycling experience. Are these tough enough for truly un-improved roads and trails?
I have/had 2 of these 20"wheels-for a few year- and i think they would hold up to your weight- but the kick is even though there supposed to be a Mariner they do not hold up to salt water and salt spray- mine were a basket case after a few years - even the SS spokes somehow became brittle and broke- cables gears rusted out even the clear coat finish peeling off- so if you can keep them inside they might make it- i kept mine on deck - in a zip up bag and that clearly did not work well
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:49   #14

We're about to drive down to Mexico to (among other things) bring our full-size folding bikes back home. We never used them in Mexico, only in the US on the way down, because
1) Too hot to ride a bike
2) Too dangerous on the roads, both traffic and road surfaces
3) Wouldn't feel comfortable leaving them locked anywhere
4) Plenty of cheap buses and taxis to get around

We're not generally big bike riders at home anyway, but we got good use out of them while cruising in the US, both for sightseeing and getting stuff. We just haven't found any use for them in Mexico, but YMMV as they say.

Cheers
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:56   #15

as mentioned above, "Marinized" bikes still rust. Cables for shifting and brakes are very rust and damage prone. I used a simple old dahon 20" with pedal brakes extensively in Trini, Puerto Rico and Florida. Woldnt be caught on the road in Mexico though. Priceless when you need it, in the way when you dont. I couldnt have survived in the 3 places mentioned without one. I dont usually ride at home, but enjoyed it immensely... running for food, parts etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote