Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-08-2012, 12:02   #16

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Should I take a foldable bike?

Even though I have the space to stow bikes, folders or not, I believe the logic is flawed, unless you obtain one of the very few (and quite pricey) folders or non-folders made ENTIRELY from carbon or aluminum with a rubber or synthetic "chain".

Anything ferric WILL rust, unless stowed with dessicant in sealed bags below decks and sprayed with Boeshield or something similar.

We are avid cyclists who've considered this and have decided, prior to pushing off, that bringing proper cargo bags and mounting racks is easier than bringing bikes, as there are very few places where you can't buy a used bike, and I can fix just about any of them.

Sell it when you leave, or sell it at the far end of the island chain. The point is that it's not locked (hah, hah!) to the rail in the ocean air...and you just stow the rubber bags and lie-flat frames.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:26   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy
Even though I have the space to stow bikes, folders or not, I believe the logic is flawed, unless you obtain one of the very few (and quite pricey) folders or non-folders made ENTIRELY from carbon or aluminum with a rubber or synthetic "chain".

Anything ferric WILL rust, unless stowed with dessicant in sealed bags below decks and sprayed with Boeshield or something similar.

We are avid cyclists who've considered this and have decided, prior to pushing off, that bringing proper cargo bags and mounting racks is easier than bringing bikes, as there are very few places where you can't buy a used bike, and I can fix just about any of them.

Sell it when you leave, or sell it at the far end of the island chain. The point is that it's not locked (hah, hah!) to the rail in the ocean air...and you just stow the rubber bags and lie-flat frames.
Other than cables and brakes. I wonder if you sprayed it with rhino lining would help. Just throwing out ideas.

Old 05-08-2012, 13:09   #18

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

While in Tahiti, Moorea and Bora Bora, I rented a motor scooter in each island for the day. Not only I visited distant sites, but also restocked the boat with fresh fruits and veggies. The cost, including insurance and a temp license, was around $50 USD. These motor scooters were like "Vespa's". They can carry two adults, and in addition to having a cargo space for 2-3 shopping bags. Some rental agencies will pick you up at the marina, but not all do that; it helped being fluent in French. Alternately, you can rent a car for the day, but you may have to pay $150 USD + misc. A little research prior to sailing will go a long way. Not all islands have rentals cars and/or scooters.

I would go to "la Polynesie Francaise" in a heart beat.
Old 05-08-2012, 13:39   #19
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M

We've got huge amounts of storage on this boat. I could fit six or eight folded bikes in a couple of the lazarettes, with plenty of room left over. I'm accustomed to spraying things with rust preventatives. Its a way of life here. The grocery store sells WD-40 in gallon cans. (Not that I would call WD-40 a rust preventative in any way.)

We're not so interested in shopping, or biking in traffic. We're more interested in being able to explore some of the really rough roads and trails on various islands in the Bahamas and here. Every island has trails and old overgrown roads on it, if you look close enough at Google Earth.

200 year old roads and crumbling ruins are of interest to us.
Old 05-08-2012, 14:02   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I've got a Bike Friday New World Tourist. http://www.bikefriday.com/ It's basically set up as a touring bike with racks, 27 gears, and a reasonable riding position. They make off road and outright racing variations depending on your needs. The bike rides better than my full sized bike and has the gears for serious touring in hilly country. Bike fits into a suitcase so can be taken on an airplane without paying the rediculously high bike shipping charges, only have to pay the luggage costs. The case also protects the bike from the salt atmosphere at sea. It's not an instant folder to fit in the suitcase but breaks down in a minute to go into a carrying bag for transport to and from the boat. Suitcase converts to a trailer which has really come in handy for bringing bulky, somewhat heavy stuff back to the boat. Store the bike in it's suitcase in the forepeak on passages. Has held up well to boat life even though it's a steel frame but I hit it with WD40 regularly and wash it down with freshwater regularly. These bikes are not cheap but then no serious bike is.

I used it extensively in Alameda when I was getting ready to bring the boat back to Hawaii. Saved a fortune in rental car expenses. Explored Hilo town making daily sojourns of 2-3 miles and farther to check the internet and explore. Would have been stuck in Radio Bay with a view of Containers and the Coast Guard Cutter without the bike. Now that I'm home, prefer riding the BikeFriday over my other bicycles as it fits so well. With the explosion of Mooring fields on the East Coast forcing people to anchor further and further away from amenities, a bike would make this a 'no problem'.

When we cruised to SoPac, occasionally borrowed other people's bikes to explore. Most Islands were so small or areas of interest so close that a bicycle really wouldn't have been that useful. If I was going to Europe or coastal cruising in the US would definitely want a bike. Check out where you are going and what you want to do while there. And then make a decision.

Most of the cruising bikes like the Dahons are seriously gearing limited. If you are on flat ground, a bike with a three speed hub or a 7 speed wide spaced deraileur would be fine. If you are going to see uneven terrain and even slight hills, a 9-10 speed rear deraileur and either a 3 gear crank or geared rear hub make life a lot more bearable. Unless you are in shape, even small hills get irksome if you don't have the gears to ease the grind. The riding position is usually bolt upright. Not all that comfortable, maximum wind resistance and not egonomically correct. You need some forward lean in riding to utilize the long buttocks muscles. Since most of us have a well developed butt, using those muscles makes pedalling a lot less taxing by some forward lean.
Old 05-08-2012, 14:20   #21

We travel on a 33-foot boat, no space for bicycles. We found folding scooters to work anywhere there was pavement. Foot-powered, like the kind kids use ... fun, too! Anywhere there was no pavement, we used local transport, rented cars, or walked.

Life Afloat Archives: Getting Around
Old 05-08-2012, 14:37   #22

Boat: Pearson 422

We're debating between 2 Bike Friday NWT singles or a Bike Friday Tandem. We normally ride a tandem, but we know the NWT's would be much easier to stow and faster to set up for a quick ride.
Paperbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 14:48   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Bike Friday had a tandem that could be assembled as a single or a tandem. Seemed ideal set up for someone who wanted a single for quick trips while retaining the option of the tandem set up for both of you. Don't know how it packed other than it fit in two suitcases. Might want to see if they still offer this model.
Old 05-08-2012, 16:37   #24

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Used to carry two full size folding mountain bikes by Mongoose. Very nice bikes. Had bags for them so that the various protruding bits would not snag when storing. There were nice when we used them, but found I did not use them as often as I expected and they were a bit of hassle store so took them off the boat.

If you plan to be somewhere for a while then good basic bikes are relatively inexpensive in many developing countries.

WOW, just noticed the "Bike Fridays" are $1,200US, I think I paid $400 each for the mongoose foldables (and they were nice full size bikes). Basic beach cruiser in Belize is BZ$200 (US$100). Can hire a lot of third world cabs for $1,200US!
Old 05-08-2012, 16:43   #25
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

my cheep-ass regular too small for me aluminum framed mountain bike from hell is awesome perfect--i m surprised--i thought it would corrode to devils before i could use it-- i took it to a shop and under 50 dollars later--perfect----i use when i know i am not gonna be murdered on it....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 16:47   #26

Boat: Cape Barren Goose 37ft

I wouldn't go cruising without my Ally framed Mountain Bike. It is really compact when I take both wheels off, the seat post and the pedals are easily removed if required. There is enough room for two MTB's lashed in the forepeak of my boat.
I cycle toured with panniers for a week last time I sailed to New Zealand just to have a break from the boat. It is also easier to do the shopping with a bike and panniers.
Just ask to see the box a MTB comes in next time you are in the bicycle shop, you can then measure it up for the space you may have in your boat for a real bike!
Old 05-08-2012, 16:52   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There are yes camps and no camps! Buy a cheap one, try to use it, if it doesnt work for you deep six it! Better yet, give it to a poor kid down island! Unless you spend big bucks for a titanium/graphite composite belt drive bike, somethings gonna rust some... so what?

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 17:06   #28
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M

anyone familiar with the Montaque "Paratrooper"? Is that a gimmick or a good bike?
Old 05-08-2012, 17:26   #29

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
anyone familiar with the Montaque "Paratrooper"? Is that a gimmick or a good bike?

Not a gimmick. Great bike.

I have one and found it very useful during my only coastal cruise last summer. It will go next time also.

Always a plug from me for this bike in threads like this.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:49   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
In some places powered bikes push the limits of what qualifies as a motorcycle and therefore requires a local drivers license.
Very few places do not accept an Int'l Driving Permit. Details here...
Road Safety Overseas

In reality, though, I have yet to visit a country where the rental car agency wasn't perfectly satisfied with my Florida driver's license. I've never been stopped by the police in a foreign country, so I don't know if they would be as satisfied as the rental car agencies were, but I would expect so. In any case, an Int'l Driving Permit is cheap and easy to get, so I am planning on getting one before my next overseas trip.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: