Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2015, 14:22   #16

Boat: NAJAD 440CC
Re: Should I buy a Malo 47 or HR43?

Hi Leftbrainstuff
do you have seen the Najad 440cc.
High quality, solid, safe and fast.
The construction is comparable to HR43 but is much more agile and fast, the designers are Judel&Vrolik, Melges and Ac Alingi, Dehler desigres.
Try it you will be enthusiast.
GR
giorgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 02:08   #17

Boat: Malo 47

Thanks for all the responses to my first post - great stuff! To answer some questions- we are in our 50s and pretty fit, we will be using the boat for a mixture of coastal sailing plus longer passages (possibly the Atlantic in a few years), we have been sailing for 20 years. Seems like a toss up - perhaps tossing a coin is the answer after all!
F92
Freedom92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 03:22   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom92 View Post
Thanks for all the responses to my first post - great stuff! To answer some questions- we are in our 50s and pretty fit, we will be using the boat for a mixture of coastal sailing plus longer passages (possibly the Atlantic in a few years), we have been sailing for 20 years. Seems like a toss up - perhaps tossing a coin is the answer after all!
F92
If you want to have six people on board on a regular basis, you may want to go a little bigger still. Six people is ok on my boat (54 feet on deck, 16 foot beam) but I would not want to go any smaller (even single-handing, I don't ever wish for anything smaller). The problem is getting everyone around the salon table; seating in the cockpit. I agree with the comment above about the frat house -- you will be pretty crowded. 50+ monohull, or cat would be better with that kind of crowd.

As to "handling" bigger boats; plenty of threads on this in the archives. To summarize -- some people argue for smaller boats, but those are mostly people who have smaller boats. I've never met or heard of anyone with a larger boat who wished for a smaller one. Other than cost (maintenance even more than acquisition) and docking, there aren't really any downsides. Also, the larger the boat, the easier and more comfortable it is to handle in tough weather.

If I ever change my own boat (unlikely), it will be for something still bigger -- like the HR 65.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 04:07   #19

Quite a lot of differences in the layouts of those boats, surely one would appeal to you more than the other.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 01:34   #20

Boat: Malo 47

Thanks for comments/suggestions. Have considered Najad but don't like the position of the galley. The layout of the Malo with 2 aft cabins would suit us better for when we need to sleep 6 - With the HR 43 we would spill into the saloon. We don't expect to sleep 6 very often, but when we do, we want it to be civilised when we do!
Freedom92 is offline   Reply With Quote