Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-08-2011, 14:49   #16

Boat: Boereal 44
Re: Shoal vs Deep Keel Concerns

Last two boats, Phil Rhodes design and a Mason 44 were deep draft and fine boats. The new boat is a shallow draft centerboard vessel and we are looking forward to the change in design. Seeing we mostly broad reach the trades the new boat will out perform the old ones and by a lot I think. I've only did sea trials in similar Boreal, flat water 15 knots of wind she pointed fine to weather. I'm sure not as well in rougher seas but we will go off the wind a bit more if needed. There are so many places we were not able to explore in the S. Pacific that we will be able to do so now and that is going to be fun for us. I remember all the great centerboard boats Phil Rhodes designed in the 50's but the new designs out there today would make Phil envious, point better, faster and more sea kindly. We also have no problem using the engine while cruising when needed, that's one of the reasons they put them in. Our main goal is to sail as much as possible but hey we love destinations as much as passage making and feel much safer knowing we are moving forward one way or another.

You will make a choice and hopefully you will sea trial both shallow draft and deep keel and when you do hopefully you will get good idea what suits your needs. As you are well aware if you have been around this site much you know by now all cruising sailboats are a compromise in some form or another.
Good luck.

stevewrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 14:55   #17
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Shoal vs Deep Keel Concerns

Only in performance.... a drop keel like the Oceanis Clipper will have you flying downwind.... and allow more achor options closer to shore... dunno if Bavaria does anything similar...
As most of your voyage is gonna be 'downhill'.... go short
I do not exist to impress the world.
I exist to live my life in a way that will make me happy.

boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 15:12   #18

One thing about draft is many times it is more than the specifications say. I don't know about Bavaria in particular. This is could be due to after market installations and extra cruising weight.
Main restricted areas I have experienced with deep draft are inland waterways and the Bahama banks. Under 6' is my measure of shoal draft.
Other thing is resale. The deeper the draft around south Florida, the less people like a design. That is a reason why cats are especially popular here. I don't know what is popular in Oz.

Professional Yacht Broker per FTC 16 CFR Part 255
President of Cruisers Forum Sponsoring Vendor Jordan Yacht & Ship Co.
Richard Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote

keel, shoal keel

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: