Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2019, 05:57   #31
TBA

Re: Shoal Draft Blue Water and ICW CC Liveaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I'd say 5-5.5 draft is doable mostly. The bridge height is the issue for the boat size you mention. Do you really need a 50 ft boat? Your lower end length is easier. At 42 you can probably get the mast under 65 ft.
I was looking bigger mostly for interior volume because of my height. One thing that a bigger boat brings that I don't necessarily think we need is a third sleeping cabin. I know that people do lots of different things with that cabin, including leaving it alone.

What are thoughts on two vs. three cabins in a boat 42-52'
TBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:14   #32

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBA View Post
I know a lot about the running aground part! Glad we did it on nice sandy bottoms.

There is a cliche about liers and newbies - everyone else has run aground.

Quote:
I am concerned about the fit. Galleys in the pass through seem like they may be a problem. Berths will always be an issue.

"Fit" covers a lot more than you fitting in the boat. *grin* At some level the boat has to speak to you at a visceral level. This is your brain saying all the elements integrate into the right boat for you.

Sailing performance is a factor. Some of the boats that have been raised here won't perform like the Tartan 34 in your past. You have to decide if that matters. For the sizes you're looking at there is no reason you can't find a boat that outperforms the old Tartan.

My own boat is a CC. There are a couple of low spots in the walk-through but the leg of galley that wraps around into the walk-through is about 6'8" (I'm short - nearly a foot over my head). The galley is important. The berth is important. You need to be able to maneuver in the head.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:16   #33
TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Draft is easy to check.

More importantly, what is your definition of Blue Water boat? There is no universally agreed definition.

One option not mentioned is some of the older 33-38' cats (but giving the space of a 40-45' mono). That should get you below 4' draft. Many of the older ones have more modest beams (14-16') so you can fit into slips and get thru smaller canals. They are also usually conservatively rigged, so bridge clearance isn't as big of an issue.

We had a Catalac 10m, that had 3 cabins, 3' draft, a well established blue water design and at 6'2" I had plenty of headroom throughout...Well within your price range.
I harbor fantasies of crossing and recrossing the Atlantic, the Bay of Biscay and Gulfstream. That may change as I get more experience and closer to pulling the trigger.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:22   #34
TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
There is a cliche about liers and newbies - everyone else has run aground.

"Fit" covers a lot more than you fitting in the boat. *grin* At some level the boat has to speak to you at a visceral level. This is your brain saying all the elements integrate into the right boat for you.

Sailing performance is a factor. Some of the boats that have been raised here won't perform like the Tartan 34 in your past. You have to decide if that matters. For the sizes you're looking at there is no reason you can't find a boat that outperforms the old Tartan.

My own boat is a CC. There are a couple of low spots in the walk-through but the leg of galley that wraps around into the walk-through is about 6'8" (I'm short - nearly a foot over my head). The galley is important. The berth is important. You need to be able to maneuver in the head.
Yes ... I have already discounted several boats because they just don't 'look' right - even in pictures. I do love the classic lines. Galley, head, bed have to fit.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:30   #35

Quote:
I harbor fantasies of crossing and recrossing the Atlantic, the Bay of Biscay and Gulfstream. That may change as I get more experience and closer to pulling the trigger.
Yes but what is your definition of Blue Water boat...most cruising sail boats 30' and up can successfully make ocean crossings...After that it's mostly arguments over the grey areas and minutia.

If your idea of a blue water boat eliminates anything that isn't a full keel monohull, that eliminates a lot of very capable cruising boats.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 16:13   #36

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

We have a Taswell 49 with fiberglass decks, but this teak deck one could be worth looking at. Meets all your stated criteria I'm sure, plus the interior work is very easy on the eyes in long term stays on board. Sails very well also, designer is Bill Dixon.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...owse%20listing
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 23:02   #37
TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericson38 View Post
We have a Taswell 49 with fiberglass decks, but this teak deck one could be worth looking at. Meets all your stated criteria I'm sure, plus the interior work is very easy on the eyes in long term stays on board. Sails very well also, designer is Bill Dixon.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...owse%20listing
That is a beautiful boat. Taswell is definitely going on my list of prospects. My wife keeps telling me that I have to stick to the plan ... I want to buy NOW. I must admit she’s probably right.
Old 13-09-2019, 06:47   #38

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

A 40'+ Hallberg-Rassy or Malo would be a great choice, but pricey. That said, they are robust, roomy and fast. I would say worth the investment, for sure. My knock on Island Packets (and I owned one for six years) is that 1. they have serious chainplate issues (mine dismasted), and 2. if you are going to windward, they are motorsailers at best. Also, they have aluminum fuel tanks that can't be removed/replaced/repaired without cutting up the cabin sole. They are good coastal boats and great Bahamas/Caribbean boats, but I wouldn't necessarily think of them as bluewater boats.
As for the Whitby 42, those things are like caves down below. Poor lighting, poor headroom, particularly in the walk-through and aft cabin. They also have hull-deck joint issues from time to time (some are rivited, some are screwed), as do their close cousins the Brewer 42.
Here's what I would be looking at: https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...sy-39-3571562/

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...-mkii-3547455/

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...mk-ii-3545602/
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2019, 11:25   #39

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Quote:
That is a beautiful boat. Taswell is definitely going on my list of prospects. My wife keeps telling me that I have to stick to the plan ... I want to buy NOW. I must admit she’s probably right.

I'll second the Taswell here. Anything built by Ta Shing is top-notch in my book. I owned a 1988 Mason 44 (also built by Ta Shing yard), and it was supremely well-built.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2019, 11:26   #40
TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcountry View Post
A 40'+ Hallberg-Rassy or Malo would be a great choice, but pricey. That said, they are robust, roomy and fast. I would say worth the investment, for sure. My knock on Island Packets (and I owned one for six years) is that 1. they have serious chainplate issues (mine dismasted), and 2. if you are going to windward, they are motorsailers at best. Also, they have aluminum fuel tanks that can't be removed/replaced/repaired without cutting up the cabin sole. They are good coastal boats and great Bahamas/Caribbean boats, but I wouldn't necessarily think of them as bluewater boats.
As for the Whitby 42, those things are like caves down below. Poor lighting, poor headroom, particularly in the walk-through and aft cabin. They also have hull-deck joint issues from time to time (some are rivited, some are screwed), as do their close cousins the Brewer 42.
Here's what I would be looking at: https://www.yachtworld.com<br /> /b...sy-39-3571562/

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...-mkii-3547455/

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...mk-ii-3545602/
Thanks for the input. I know these are great boats. I am a bit concerned about the draft for the west coast of Florida, though I see one is in Palmetto.

Galleys seem to be a bit tight for a boat that size.
Old 13-09-2019, 12:32   #41

Boat: Southerly 57

The compromises you mention are pretty normal. I decided on a swing keel and gave up the ICW on the inside, but have everything else. I looked at a Hylas 49 which was shoal draft and mast height made for the ICW. There are some out there, or you can pick a cat or a two masted boat. Good luck!
Belezar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2019, 18:41   #42

Boat: 1977 GulfStar 40 (Ted Hood)

Check out a Gulf Star 40 by Hood....3-11-4-0 draft, cntrboard to 9-6, fast, great up wind, and off shore and sea kindly 62 ft stick and been up and down the ICW..nicely appointed with most everything new and or up graded past 2 years. Currently for sale in Nantucket
Lodbrog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 08:32   #43

Boat: Hunter 40.5 and C+C36

I have made 6 trips to the Bahamas on a Hunter 40.5. This boat is roomy, fast and easy to sail. The draft is 4'11". It has a massive lead (no rust) keel for stability. It has well thought out human engineering features such as foot braces and hand holds. Hunter is a generic boat and priced accordingly.

The only negatives are a tall mast whose VHF antenna scrapes many 65' bridges and sailing at anchor.
I would buy her again if I were to go back to cruising.
j.g.evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 10:09   #44

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

My boat 's draft is 5'6", will clear your bridge requirement and no, it's not for sale. That said, I have recently seen some in the $50,000 range on both American coasts. Hardin Voyager 45'
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 15:21   #45

I have a Tartan 4600 and just completed ICW from NY to Ft Lauderdale and back. Fast, strong boat with with centerboard , 4'10" draft depending on load. Mine is currently at 5' 4", air draft is 63' 10" to top of Anchor light. Cleared all Bridges on ICW watching water heights due to tide and wind. Dinged antenna on most Bridges with no damage, removed Raymarine wind and destroyed cheap windex. Great aft cockpit with second center cockpit on earlier models. Only built about 25 built, currently a couple on Yacht World at greatly reduced prices. Highly recommend you check them out. I personally prefer a nice protected aft cockpit.
My prior boat for 10 years was a Hylas 45.5. A great shoal draft with a shorter mast ( no ICW issues). I had this boat for 10 years and sailed it twice to the Bahamas from NY. The 45.5 is a stretch
version of the Hylas 44 and another great choice in my opinion.
windquest24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue water, draft, icw, liveaboard, water