Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2010, 14:00   #1

She 31 or First 30 ?

Hello

I'm interested in buying a smallish sailboat to be sailed mostly single handed. After spending some years sailing around Med, I want to cross Atlantic to the Caribbean and sail around for a year, then back to Med. The price for the boat that I can afford is highest €15.000. What I have read in internet, I came to an understanding that a Beneteau First 30 or a She 31 can be the boat I am looking for. What do you think of these boats? Any better yet suitably priced boats out there? What are the pros and cons of these two? Where would you suggest me to search for boats that are reasonably priced?
Thanks all in advance
HitNruN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 14:59   #2

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
First 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitNruN View Post
Hello

I'm interested in buying a smallish sailboat to be sailed mostly single handed. After spending some years sailing around Med, I want to cross Atlantic to the Caribbean and sail around for a year, then back to Med. The price for the boat that I can afford is highest €15.000. What I have read in internet, I came to an understanding that a Beneteau First 30 or a She 31 can be the boat I am looking for. What do you think of these boats? Any better yet suitably priced boats out there? What are the pros and cons of these two? Where would you suggest me to search for boats that are reasonably priced?
HitNruN,
I suppose that you refer to the "first" First 30, the one that Bénéteau built from 1977 to 1981. This boat was intended for beating to windward, and it does that well. Then, it is not so effective when sailing downwind: in a seaway, there is a bit of rolling. Then, I'm afraid it is'nt the best boat for crossing the Atlantic with the Trade winds.

The cockpit is fairly narrow, you aren't comfortable when seating on the coaming. I remember that the cabin was somewhat dark (small portholes), with a single berth at the stern.

For cruising in sunny climes, you might prefer a yacht with more deck area for the same length.

About 970 First 30 have been built, a good number of them are still afloat. Since they have a good reputation and the association of owners is fairly active, most French boats in a good condition are priced above your budget. But with the present slump in boat sales, you might be in a good position to negociate.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 15:20   #3

Alain,
Thank you for the info. Comfort is not my main issue, since I'm on such a tight budget... I need a boat that is capable of crossing Atlantic, that stays in one piece after a storm and is forgiving an unexperienced sailor like myself Balance and strenght is more important to me then comfort. And speed of course... A boat that sails faster is a boat that helps me get there faster so it is preferred
Any boats to suggest? Around my price range...
Any opinions on Jeanneau Rush?
Old 11-02-2010, 17:12   #4

Boat: a sailing boat
Search the Yachtworld or any local broker. (marinan and udkik are good for Scandinavia as is Boat4You).

She and First are two completely different boats and First can be easier (faster off the wind and easier motion) for a crossing. But a She is prettier and way more classy. Also, should **** hit the fan I would prefer to be in a She. But any boat will do, so do not over-worry the matter.

Right now here there is a guy getting ready to cross in a Havsfidra - look this boat up and you will see that almost anything will do for Europe-West Indies-Europe circuit, as long as you have the skills and sail in the good season.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 19:00   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Try this for size... Westerly are good strong and fast..... this one you could maybe get for 9,000e leaving you 6,000e to fit her out.... but get her surveyed...
Westerly Boats for sale UK, Westerly Used boat sales, Westerly Sailing Yachts For Sale Westerly GK29 - Apollo Duck

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 19:37   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Try this for size... Westerly are good strong and fast..... this one you could maybe get for 9,000e leaving you 6,000e to fit her out.... but get her surveyed...
Westerly Boats for sale UK, Westerly Used boat sales, Westerly Sailing Yachts For Sale Westerly GK29 - Apollo Duck
Westerly Boats for sale UK, Westerly Used boat sales, Westerly Sailing Yachts For Sale Westerly Longbow - Apollo Duck

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:15   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Search the Yachtworld or any local broker. (marinan and udkik are good for Scandinavia as is Boat4You).

She and First are two completely different boats and First can be easier (faster off the wind and easier motion) for a crossing. But a She is prettier and way more classy. Also, should **** hit the fan I would prefer to be in a She. But any boat will do, so do not over-worry the matter.

Right now here there is a guy getting ready to cross in a Havsfidra - look this boat up and you will see that almost anything will do for Europe-West Indies-Europe circuit, as long as you have the skills and sail in the good season.

b.
Barnakiel, I agree with you on She being more classy and pretty and actually more close to my price range, too. I have seen Albin Vegas for a very reasonable price and I've seen some internet sites where they say it's a very strong boat and fine for crossing oceans. Any opinions on Albin Vega?
And, thank you for the links. I am now going to visit them. Let's see what I can find

Boatman, I'm checking them; thank u
Old 12-02-2010, 12:07   #8

First 30 and Rush

Quote:
I need a boat that is capable of crossing Atlantic, that stays in one piece after a storm and is forgiving an unexperienced sailor like myself Balance and strenght is more important to me then comfort. And speed of course... A boat that sails faster is a boat that helps me get there faster so it is preferred
Any boats to suggest? Around my price range...
Any opinions on Jeanneau Rush?
HitNruN,
Boats 6.5m long cross the Atlantic ocean during the Mini Transat, then size isn't really an issue .

IMO, the "first" First 30 is more sturdy than the Rush: it was the first sailing boat built by Bénéteau (before that, they built mainly workboats), so they erred on the cautious side regarding scantlings.

I only have sailed the "Rush Royale TDF", a special series built for racing the "Tour de France à la voile" (sailing around France) in 1982-83. It has running backstays, not ideal for a singlehander. Other models exist but I have no opinion about them.

If you are interested in narrow French yachts and not afraid of old boats, I would suggest the "Super Arlequin", designed by André Mauric (who also designed the First 30), or the "Arpège" (about 1500 built, but not ideal downwind).

Alain
Old 12-02-2010, 12:49   #9

Alain, Rush is already out of my list of boats. But Arpége 30 and First 30 are in. I will check Suer Arlequin now, thanks. List of boats is getting bigger. In a way it's confusing me more but on the other hand, it helps me compare and find one with a more suitable price Already Sigma 33, Elizabethans, Albin Vega and more are in the list.
Old 12-02-2010, 13:02   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
I owned/sailed a 1983 First 30E for over 20 years. This is the version of the First 30 with less sail area and more of an interior. I think you'll find them well built and good sailing boats to weather. Off the wind, however, it really helps to use a spinnaker - I had both sym and asym chutes and used them often.

Fair winds!

Sailndive
Sailndive345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 13:11   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailndive345 View Post
I owned/sailed a 1983 First 30E for over 20 years. This is the version of the First 30 with less sail area and more of an interior. I think you'll find them well built and good sailing boats to weather. Off the wind, however, it really helps to use a spinnaker - I had both sym and asym chutes and used them often.

Fair winds!

Sailndive
Thanks Sailndive One more plus for the First 30... I have a list, and whenever I get good feedback, I put a * next to it's name. Now First 30 has 4 stars already
Old 12-02-2010, 13:17   #12

Alain, Super Arlaquin looks very pretty, indeed. Not many for sale though and not any more interior pics then 1 I could find. Not very heavy, but I guess displacement isn't the most important thing to look for, anyway... Into the list

Any info about Hurley 30? Seems like a good boat and nicely priced...
Old 12-02-2010, 14:24   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Alain, Super Arlaquin looks very pretty, indeed. Not many for sale though and not any more interior pics then 1 I could find. Not very heavy, but I guess displacement isn't the most important thing to look for, anyway... Into the list

Had a Hurley 22... Excellent sea boat that took me across a very rough Biscay Dec 08.... see no reason the 30 should not be as strong... theres Hurleys for sale here.....

Hurley Owners Association Home Page

Old 12-02-2010, 14:27   #14

Quote:
One more plus for the First 30... I have a list, and whenever I get good feedback, I put a * next to it's name. Now First 30 has 4 stars already
HitNruN,
It seems that you are mixing up at least 2 different boats:
- the "first" First 30 (Lwl=7.75m, B=2.86m, D=3.45t), built from 1977 to 1981, designed by André Mauric
- the First 30E (Lwl=8.22m, B=3.22m, D=3.2t), built from 1981 to 1984, designed by Jean Berret

These are very different boats, probably not at the same price.

Quote:
Alain, Super Arlaquin looks very pretty, indeed. Not many for sale though and not any more interior pics then 1 I could find.
For pictures of Super Arlequins, see for example Le Mille Sabords - bateau d'occasion Queré-Paillard - Super Arlequin

Quote:
I didn't even know the name "Hurley 30" but Google gives some quick answers: Preloved | uk hurley hurley 30/90 - yachts and motorsailers reviews
HURLEY 30/90 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com (units English)
Hurley Owners Association Hurley 30/90 Page
Hurley Owners Association Hurley 30/90 gallery

Alain
Old 12-02-2010, 14:33   #15

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
HitNruN,
It seems that you are mixing up at least 2 different boats:
- the "first" First 30 (Lwl=7.75m, B=2.86m, D=3.45t), built from 1977 to 1981, designed by André Mauric
- the First 30E (Lwl=8.22m, B=3.22m, D=3.2t), built from 1981 to 1984, designed by Jean Berret

These are very different boats, probably not at the same price.

Alain
Indeed! Mine was a Berret design. I have a couple pics of her (sold a few years ago) in my profile/albums...

Sailndive
Sailndive345 is offline   Reply With Quote