Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2017, 18:10   #1

Shannon 39 vs baba 40

Looking at a shannon 39 don't know much about them was thinking of adding it to my short list with the baba 40 anyone have any thoughts on the shannon sailing ability and construction compared to baba, kelly peterson, valiant ok Robert Perry boats thanks.
Snyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 07:37   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Shannon 39 vs baba 40

The Shannon will sail circles around the Baba. It's a more modern design, closer in layout and performance to a Passport 40 or Valiant 42. Babas are great boats, works of art really, with amazing interiors but getting long in the tooth and have their maintenance issues. Also ya gotta love brightwork.
Old 24-09-2017, 14:00   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Snyper,

The Shannons have a reputation for quality. It has a cutaway forefoot, and will be easier to maneuver than the Baba 40 with it's full keel. Someone i know said that getting the Baba 40 to tack was like getting an environmental impact report, it takes a while.

There are always concerns about Taiwan built boats. The actual boat you're looking at may have had excellent supervision throughout its build--or not. Beware rotting black iron tanks, that you have to deconstruct the interior to remove, gaps in the layup, and occasional use of non-standard materials. It's hard to tell from the outside, could be okay, could be not okay.....

Ann
Old 25-09-2017, 04:22   #4

Boat: Tartan 4100

Both have a lot of exterior woodwork but the Baba has (or had) a teak deck and by now will need attention. The Baba will also weight a bunch more than the Shannon. Both are beautiful boats and both will have their target design parameters, so whichever best aligns with your sailing goals......
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 08:49   #5

Boat: Lagoon 450S

Back in the late 70's and early 80's I was a dealer for the Baba's and we sold many of the 30, 35, and 40 ft models. Frankly I always thought that many of the raw materials and components used in the boats were sub standard and it is not a boat that I would considering owning myself. I would be very concerned about critical components such as chain plates, keel material, sea cocks, deck cores, and so on.

Gary
iliohale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 09:07   #6

I've never heard of a Shannon 39....? The Babas were built by Ta Shing, one of the best builders in the world at that time. Ta Shing quit building small boats and only builds mega yachts now. But of course Shannon's are great also. Both are quite heavy. Both have a cutaway forefoot. The Baba most often has too much teak outside to maintain though, unless you find a later one or Tashiba version. Of course it matters what Shannon you are looking at, as I said I've not heard of a 39. My friend sailed a 43, it was a tank, slow boat too.
As someone mentioned, I would likely go for a more modern Perry design like the Passport or etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 09:52   #7

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

I loved the Shannon Fast Passage. I was advised to find a Baba 40. After years of looking, we bought a Kelley-Peterson and we like it more every day. They are all good boats.
I consider the extra room of the Kelley-Peterson 44 / Formosa 46 to be luxury.

The first thing we did was remove the teak deck and add a few layers of cloth and epoxy to the underlying deck. Then I started the Teak Reduction Act, where I replace some topsides teak every year with something that does not need sanding and varnish.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 10:06   #8

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

I also saw a beautiful Shannon 51 but the owner had filled it with regular land house fixtures and cabinets.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 11:26   #9

Boat: Shannon 43 ketch

We love our Shannon 43. I believe, if well-maintained, they hold their value for the long-haul.
YellowcakeMan is offline   Reply With Quote