Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 20:10   #1

Boat: Neptunian 33 - Syren
Shannon 28 in St Augustine , FL

Happy 4th everyone!
Anyone taken a peek at the Shannon 28 in at Augustine, fl? If so, would you be willing to share any thoughts or comments? Much appreciated as she is a serious consideration for us (a simple live aboard cruising couple). Thanks so much
saltysiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 08:59   #2

Boat: Pearson 367 Cutter
Re: Shannon 28 in St Augustine , FL

Hi, I just drove down to St Augustine from Annapolis. A waste of time. The boat is old and has been "rode hard and put away wet". it looks like there has been no maintenance done on the boat in many years. There is NO equipment
on her, nothing but an old warn out engine, that needs replacement, acording to the mechinic. it really looks bad, and it is using oil. A new 3ym20 will run $9000/$12000. The broker told me that the owner turned down $30,000 so with a new yanmar you already invested more then the boat is worth, due to it's very bad condition. They told me that the sails were "very Good" believe me that is not true, same for the rigging, bad. The gell coat looks ok but the non skid is bad. the stove has seen better days and the Boat is just dirty. there is also some rot under the sink and some of the tabing has delaminated. I'm sure a survey will turn up more.
hooligan6a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 15:15   #3

Boat: Cape Dory

I saw the boat 2 years ago -- didn't go aboard. Looked reasonably clean from the outside. Owner was a very nice guy. That said, have you checked out PSC Orions? They are often more bang for your buck in a similar package.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 15:59   #4

Boat: Pearson 367 Cutter

It is reasonably clean on the outside. But for $39K I expect a little bit more. I did not meet the owner, he may be a nice guy but I think, he and the broker are not being honest about the engine being toast. The PSC are a very good boat. I did looked at an Orion a few years ago, I did like it but there is not a lot of storage.
hooligan6a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 16:52   #5

Boat: Neptunian 33 - Syren
Looked at the Shannon. Really bad shape, rot under sink, not well maintained. I would have expected more from the owner of such a great boat. LOVE the Orion. I posted a msg on the owners group website to see if anyone was thinking of selling. No word yet. The Orion for sale in PA is out of our budget. Just fell in love with the Nantucket Island. She's bigger that we wanted though. Can anyone chime in about the Nantucket? The search continues.
saltysiren is offline   Reply With Quote