Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2012, 14:29   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS
Shallow Draft Jeanneau 43 ds

I am looking at a Jeanneau 43 DS with a shallow draft keel which is perfect for the the area of Med that I cruise. I appreciate that it won't point to wind as good as the deep draft (2m) version but I am a little worried as to how tender she will be in a stiff blow. My last boat, a Hunter Legend, just loved to throw everything below all over the place once the wind went through 15kts. Would appreciate all first hand experiences.
Thanks
Alenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 14:48   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenka
I am looking at a Jeanneau 43 DS with a shallow draft keel which is perfect for the the area of Med that I cruise. I appreciate that it won't point to wind as good as the deep draft (2m) version but I am a little worried as to how tender she will be in a stiff blow. My last boat, a Hunter Legend, just loved to throw everything below all over the place once the wind went through 15kts. Would appreciate all first hand experiences.
Thanks
I've sailed that keel version. It's a good seaboat.

Dave
Old 25-09-2012, 07:52   #3

Re: Shallow draft jeanneau 43 ds

Thanks Dave,

Would you describe her as a particularly stiff boat or a little prone to healing?

Brett
Old 14-10-2012, 04:41   #4

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43DS
Send a message via Skype™ to HappyDaze

Hi Brett,

I am the owner of a 43DS. I think it's a perfect boat for the Med. With it''s spacious cockpit and huge saloon.
Mine has roller main and genoa so very easy to handle also single handed.
It sails very comfortable up to about 20 knots of wind. After that it has a great tendency to heel al lot and a 150% genoa (you need it a lot with little winds) doesn't do the job when furled 50%. So that's it why i fitted a cutterstay with furling jib. Because the fast weather change in the med, i am always to late with reefing. Therefore i do not have a stowable cutterstay but a fixed one. Because it is mounted high up the mast you don't need running backstays. The only disadvantage is that when sailing under genoa and you want to tack, you will have to furl the genoa first. With the electrical winches i have, it's very easy.
My boat is also fitted with a parasailor what gives a lot of comfort downwind sailing.

regards,

Peter
HappyDaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 07:14   #5

Hi Peter

Thanks for your comments which are very helpful . Are you a 2m draft or 1.6m draft?

I owned a Hunter Legend for the last 7 years. Loved the boat layout but a little tender in the water (to say the least) once the wind went through 16 kts. In fact if we got hit by an unexpected gust you could hear everything flying around below decks and it became very tedious.

Love the layout of the 43 DS and the amount of storage on offer but a little nervous about the shoal draft. Half of me says great for Greek harbors the other half says could be back to lots of heel and below decks mayhem!

The only other boat that grabbed our interest was a Benneteau 42 CC. She seemed stiff in the water, up to 17 kts of wind, on a std tack but remarkably less stiff on a port tack in the same wind. The chap trying to sell her said it was down to the galley on the port adding extra weight. As she was level in the water in the marina I'm not sure that adds up.

I appreciate cruising is a compromise and the 43 DS seems ticks a lot of boxes for us. Just didn't want another scenario of having to lash the ships cat down every time the wind picked up!

Cheers

Brett
Old 14-10-2012, 08:02   #6

Hi Brett,

My boat has 2 mtr draft. As all modern productionboats, they are not heavy displacement. Especially in de the Med with short steep waves that build up very quick, it's not a pleasure to be below with over 20 kts of wind.
But then again you won't be sailing al lot in that kind of winds. Most of the time there is no wind at all or you will be at anckor or in a marina.

Where are you looking for your 43DS?

Regards,

Peter
Old 14-10-2012, 10:58   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

The shallow draft one is softer and she rolls more too. I found this only a nuisance when powering in rolly seas. Keeping some sail up helps a lot. Contrary to the urban legend, we did not see any loss of performance upwind - the boat pointed very well. She was not very fast beating - older sails in questionable shape did not help us though. She sailed great on beam reach!

All this said, at anchor, she was a dream.

Look for one with engine in best possible shape - it will balance out well any potential performance loss vs. the deep draft version.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 11:55   #8

Thanks everyone. This is a big investment that I really cannot afford to get wrong.

I appreciate the performace v below decks living equation is different for everyone. As much as we like a good sail we have got to that age where comfort below decks is important, especially as we plan three to four weeks aboard each time.
The fact that most people say the 43 DS is easy to handle single handed is encouraging, If I can cope single crew most of the time it means that the two of us should be able to cope when things turn a little unpleasant.... not that we aim to be sailing in rought, stormy weather but we have been caught out a few times and knowing the boat has something in reserve is comforting.

I head down to the Med for a test sail next week. I know this boat has compression post problems that are being fixed. Which windows leak if the problem is bad? The decks are teak so looking for cracks might not be easy. I also understand that rudder bearings need attention. I was warned that the original sails were never cut too well and a new set with vertical battons are great to lift performance.

Fingers crossed!!!

Brett
Old 14-10-2012, 13:58   #9

Brett,

On my facebook HappyDaze you can see photo's of the repair of the mastsupport.

Peter
Old 14-10-2012, 15:34   #10

Miracle of miracles I managed to get onto FaceBook and find your photos.

Thanks. A real good insight into the compression post problem. Seems the repair job is a little more advanced than one I thought! I am tempted to leave the full survey until after the repair by the owner!!

I believe there is no damage to the deck, I will look at the windows with a great deal of attention.

Regards

Brett
Old 15-10-2012, 02:57   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Alenka,

I like my 43DS, even after the rudder snapped off at sea...

If your bearings are to be replaced, I would recommend that you inspected the rudder stock at around the hull join for hidden crevice corrosion or pitting. I had a good inspection performed and the surveyor didn't / couldn't see this damage since it was only visible when the rudder is removed. The cause of the problem in my case wasn't a manufacturer issue, it was a grounding with slight bend early in the boat's charter history and then subsequent electrolysis in a very electrically active marina.
Old 15-10-2012, 04:03   #12

Re: Shallow Draft Jeanneau 43 ds

Zanshin,

Must have been a shock for you loosing the rudder.
The same happened with me when i was delivering a classic CT 41 last year. Luckily i didn't lose the rudder but the rod was turning inside the rudder. Without the rudder i was still able to approach the harbour in Ibiza (Ketch rig balanced) were the harbourmaster towed me in.
Old 15-10-2012, 05:11   #13

But it does not speak highly of the manufacturer is sometimes the keel falls off and another day it is the rudder.

So, if safety is concerned, one seems perhaps well advised to steer towards a different make?

Saying this because recently a Jeanneau lost her keel in Canary Islands and earlier this year we have seen pictures of one that lost her keel in the Caribbean.

I am also skeptical about electrically-related corrosion in rudder stocks - most newer boats seem to have their stocks electrically isolated.

b.
Old 15-10-2012, 05:38   #14

Thanks for your comments but....

I know of two Bavarias that have lost keels... My freinds Beneteau lost its rudder... I have sailed a Dufour that months later burst into flames and sank! It is always a problem buyind a boat new or second hand. I do not believe that Jeanneau are any better or worse than any other mass market boat... If you ground any boat it needs a thorough check.
Old 15-10-2012, 05:55   #15

Yep.

And the good news is modern mass production boats are not the only boats on the market.

Boats should not be build to take a grounding a day. But it is nice to know some fare batter than others.

b.

Tags
draft, jeanneau, shallow draft