Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2017, 11:09   #31
Registered User
 
stillbuilding's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hong Kong
Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Posts: 961
Re: Shaft bearing replacement Morgan OI

SKF appear to make split spherical bearings which would serve your purpose of replacement without shaft removal. May need to modify the support bulkhead a little . Worth a look.
__________________

stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 17:53   #32
Registered User

Join Date: May 2014
Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Posts: 820
Images: 2
Re: Shaft bearing replacement Morgan OI

Are you in or out of the water at the moment? the proper replacement bearing is only $27ish. Yea you have to remove the engine coupling and its a giant pain! but you can replace it with a split coupling that makes this job easier down the road! attached is a picture of the refurmbished bearing holder ( original) with the new bearing insert and a new backing plate to reinforce the bulkhead
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mid-bearing.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	300.5 KB
ID:	144591  
__________________

pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 16:25   #33
Registered User
 
Paul M's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Sarasota, FL for now
Posts: 89
Re: Shaft bearing replacement Morgan OI

We are in the water right now. Where did you find the split coupling?
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 17:18   #34
Registered User

Join Date: May 2014
Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Posts: 820
Images: 2
Re: Shaft bearing replacement Morgan OI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
We are in the water right now. Where did you find the split coupling?
I think I purchased it through Defender or Jamestown Distributers. You just need to know what the diameter of the flange is as well as the diameter of the pilot lip ( and of course the shaft size which should be 1 1/4") I replaced the coupling anyway because I repowered last summer with a rebuilt Yanmar 4JH2E. so I had a ton of engine room rebuilding to do. new Engine beds, new trans, new prop. etc, etc. over this past winter I replaced the cutless bearing, stuffing box hose and packing, new bearing and plate... These old boats sure keep us busy!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:10   #35
Registered User
 
skipgundlach's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Posts: 1,528
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach
Re: Shaft bearing replacement Morgan OI

PS to my earlier...

Recall that my extra length out the cutlass led to the enhanced ability to flex

I had to have an intermediate due to having gone to a dripless gland. That made for a great deal more flexibility, allowing more shaft movement.

When I shortened the shaft to the original, end-play pretty much went away. Adding a new conventional stuffing box, with its stiff hose, and tightly held center-of-shaft, my wobble went away.
__________________
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
Follow us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheFlyingPigLog
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 13:26   #36
Registered User
 
Paul M's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Sarasota, FL for now
Posts: 89
Re: Shaft bearing replacement Morgan OI

Thanks for the help with the midshaft bearing guys. Does anyone happen to know the OD of the cutless bearing for these 1973 morgan oi with 1.25" shaft?
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 13:34   #37
Registered User

Join Date: May 2014
Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Posts: 820
Images: 2
Re: Shaft bearing replacement Morgan OI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Thanks for the help with the midshaft bearing guys. Does anyone happen to know the OD of the cutless bearing for these 1973 morgan oi with 1.25" shaft?
The OD of the cutlass bearing is 2 inches. the Cutlass bearings go by code names instead of model numbers the part number for the Morse bearing is COD.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 13:37   #38
Registered User
 
Paul M's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Sarasota, FL for now
Posts: 89
Re: Shaft bearing replacement Morgan OI

Thanks so much...again!

Any suggestions on getting the old one out?
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 14:27   #39
Registered User

Join Date: May 2014
Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Posts: 820
Images: 2
Re: Shaft bearing replacement Morgan OI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Thanks so much...again!

Any suggestions on getting the old one out?
First, remove the prop and shaft! then you need to cut a sliver out of the old cutlass bearing. This will take a while as the bearing is about 6 inches long and the brass wall of the bearing is quite thick. I used a Sawzall with a long metal cutting blade. then I got a length of 5/8" all-thread and bunch of washers with an OD of around 1 -3/4" and some nuts for the all-thread. put 4 or 5 washers on one end and then 2 nuts locked together. From inside the boat thread it into the shaft tube so it comes out the stern. stank up some blocking and then put a piece across with a hole drilled in it for the all-thread. thread a big nut down and start cranking. the bearing will get drawn out the back.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 03:00   #40
Registered User
 
skipgundlach's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Posts: 1,528
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach
Re: Shaft bearing replacement Morgan OI

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
First, remove the prop and shaft! then you need to cut a sliver out of the old cutlass bearing. This will take a while as the bearing is about 6 inches long and the brass wall of the bearing is quite thick. I used a Sawzall with a long metal cutting blade. then I got a length of 5/8" all-thread and bunch of washers with an OD of around 1 -3/4" and some nuts for the all-thread. put 4 or 5 washers on one end and then 2 nuts locked together. From inside the boat thread it into the shaft tube so it comes out the stern. stank up some blocking and then put a piece across with a hole drilled in it for the all-thread. thread a big nut down and start cranking. the bearing will get drawn out the back.
What he said - but also with a nipple. But here's how it looks:

Pictures: Flying Pig Refit 2011-2012/Maxprop - Shaft - Bearing/3 - Rebuilt MaxProp and New Cutlass

Installation of the new one will be enhanced if you can freeze the bearing first (max shrinkage), lube the hole, push, then whack with a board-protector if you're confident in your strut, or just pull it entirely into the housing like you pulled it out, but without the nipple. That gallery has some MaxProp stuff in the middle of the process; you'll have to page to the end to see the conclusion of the new one...
__________________
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
Follow us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheFlyingPigLog
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 07:32   #41
Registered User

Join Date: May 2014
Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Posts: 820
Images: 2
Re: Shaft bearing replacement Morgan OI

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post
What he said - but also with a nipple. But here's how it looks:

Pictures: Flying Pig Refit 2011-2012/Maxprop - Shaft - Bearing/3 - Rebuilt MaxProp and New Cutlass

Installation of the new one will be enhanced if you can freeze the bearing first (max shrinkage), lube the hole, push, then whack with a board-protector if you're confident in your strut, or just pull it entirely into the housing like you pulled it out, but without the nipple. That gallery has some MaxProp stuff in the middle of the process; you'll have to page to the end to see the conclusion of the new one...
Using the pipe nipple is brilliant! wish I'd have thought of that! One thing I didn't mention was I ended up using a coupling nut on one end as I actually managed to strip the threads off the cheap chines threaded rod I was using.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 07:44   #42
Registered User
 
skipgundlach's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Posts: 1,528
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach
Re: Shaft bearing replacement Morgan OI

Be sure to use plain steel nuts, well greased, or you may gall them together!
__________________
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
Follow us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheFlyingPigLog
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 06:38   #43
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 24
Re: Shaft bearing replacement Morgan OI

Look on you tube, Eric Berger, he has a video on pulling the cutlass bearing, I've done it this way real easy, there are also ways to replace the bearing without pulling the shaft, make sure you find the set screws and remove them.
__________________

sonofasonofasailer456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
men, morgan

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Drive shaft replacement, am I getting the shaft ? rockborn Propellers & Drive Systems 11 02-04-2017 11:39
Minimum Distance Between Cutlass Bearing and Shaft Zinc Han Engines and Propulsion Systems 13 13-07-2014 18:12
Cutlass Bearing Removal with Shaft in Place Jikka Propellers & Drive Systems 9 17-04-2011 09:37
Shaft bearing replacement....the modern way never monday Propellers & Drive Systems 9 29-10-2006 10:10
Shaft Bearing Alan Wheeler Construction, Maintenance & Refit 3 03-10-2004 12:22



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:16.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.