Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2016, 19:18   #16

Re: Seller doesn't allow sea trial because the boat is not insure

Offer to cover a month's insurance (after he accepts the offer).
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 19:23   #17

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

How does he have it in a Marina without insurance?

You don't need insurance to go sailing!!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 19:25   #18

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Or offer $10K assuming paperwork and title is clear.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 20:50   #19

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

I thought every marina in USA requires an insurance? So if the owner says he doesn't have insurance that is an indication something is definitely not right. I bet the hull has issues under waterline and the owner tries to cover it up by saying no sea trial (and consequently no haul out and inspection of hull below waterline).

If you really like the boat even after you inspect it where she lies (maybe get a knowledgeable friend to help you) I would consider making a low offer, subject to haul out and professional survey. If he declines walk away. I reckon a pro osmosis repair in USA with a barrier coat would be 20k minimum? Not every cheap boat ends up being a good deal. Plenty of boats for sale and its a buyer's market
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 22:19   #20

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Many days I work on insured boats that I STILL wouldn't go to sea on, and un-insured boats I would go to sea on.
Old 08-12-2016, 23:44   #21

Most likely the seller already had someone back out due to unsatisfactory survey so he's trying to avoid that again. Personally not having a sea trial is not a deal breaker as of all the 5 boats I've owned only one turned out to be a dud. But I knew that going in as I needed her to be a "space saver" for a mooring which needed some boat to be on it not to lose the mooring permit and she was literally free and later became a bargaining chip for a needed engine. The other 4 were perfectly seaworthy and none had more issues than I knew of going in and the all were better sailors than I anticipated.

Why do people expect under $15-20K 40+ year old boats to be in Bristol A+ shape is beyond my understanding. Of course it'll have a number of issues and some may even be fatal if, and this "if" is important, if the buyer plans the boat to outlive him or her. Otherwise at say $10-12-15K purchase price it would be a decent enough boat to enjoy for the next 2-3 years/seasons and then to sell if needed for say $5-7-10K. Making the cost of having a decent enough 37 footer less then $2-3K per year. I'm sure one will always be able to find a buyer or two for a 45 year old 37 footer at $5-7K. Just the engine, rigging, all systems, teak, etc. on her are worth that much if parted out on ebay.

Now, if marina costs, haul outs, etc. are too much for the buyer to risk when buying such a boat that's another issue and may be more indicative of the buyers' financial ability to be a boat owner then the risk of boat turning out to be in poor shape. After all if he buys the boat at say $12K and has to dispose of her 6 months later at $3K cost of disposal it is still much smaller loss than buying a Bristol shape boat for $100K and having to sell her asap (for whatever reason) at $80K, less the broker's commission. This is the thinking and the approach IMO that should be applied in this situation.

Now, if one cannot stomach a $15K loss on a boat, any boat, one may not be ready to be a boat owner of any type/age/make/cost of a boat.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:45   #22

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

I am amazed at the number of people who would buy a boat without a sea trial. I certainly would not. I learn more about a boat from a sea trial than I ever got from a surveyor.

Problems with the interior fitout will quickly reveal themselves as the boat starts to move, doors that spring open, cabinetry that shifts.

The mast and rigging need to be properly loaded up to see and feel movement where it should not be.

The engine needs to be run under load (ok, you can do this at the dock) for long enough for heat dissipation problems to become apparent, but also while the boat is moving over waves to reveal problems with mountings.

Rudder movement under load, steering system lash, stiffness, odd clunks or noises.

No sea trial? I would not touch it unless it was a simple trailer sailor, and even then it would have to be in outstanding condition.

Matt
Old 09-12-2016, 03:13   #23

Boat: Sandibar 35

I bought my boat on the hard with a small amount of the purchase price retained until she was splashed and systems checked in the water - no sea trial mind you, just a few minutes in the bay. Also no professional survey. Turned out ok, although I had no sailboat experience.
Is it possible the owner just does not have the skills to move the boat and is therefore reluctant for a sea trial? The interior looks more set up for marina use than actual sailing.
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:10   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandibar View Post
Is it possible the owner just does not have the skills to move the boat and is therefore reluctant for a sea trial? The interior looks more set up for marina use than actual sailing.
I've asked to sea trial with my captain, but the seller responded with a tone that he absolutely don't want it sea trial.
rickykngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:21   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Offer to cover a month's insurance (after he accepts the offer).
Yeah, I'm gonna do that see what he says. But I think someone is coming to see his boat at 4:30 because he mistakenly called me if I'm the guy coming at 4:30. Thanks.
rickykngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:27   #26

Boat: Sandibar 35

Right. I'm not advocating buying without a trial but agree with the points Island Time makes above. Then again, if you think the seller's behavior is suspicious, I'd just drop it and move onward. Plenty of boats around.
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:36   #27

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

While I would certainly prefer a sea trial, it would not be a deal breaker for me either, but I would absolutley require an out of the water survey.

Refusing a sea trial is certainly unusual and potentially suspicious. Ask about an out of the water survey...if he balks at that too, then walk.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:18   #28

Run away.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:23   #29

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickykngo View Post
Yeah, I'm gonna do that see what he says. But I think someone is coming to see his boat at 4:30 because he mistakenly called me if I'm the guy coming at 4:30. Thanks.
This one always fools the amateurs. It plays on the missing out on a "deal" part of human nature. Probably stems from cave man days where missing a meal could be fatal.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:35   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I thought the standard buyers agreement was to pay X amount of dollars upon successful completion of survey and sea trial.
Would you buy a car without being allowed to drive it?

My belief is you have a signed contract with earnest money in escrow and you may well get your survey and sea trial, but in my opinion a survey is way more important than a sea trial
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote