Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2016, 15:36   #1

Seller doesn't allow sea trial because the boat is not insure

does it sound fishy that the seller doesn't want any sea trial of his boat the reason he said it's not insure. He's gonna just turn on the engine and shift it into gears without leaving the slip. How am I going to know the boat is seaworthy or not. Any tip to look out for?
Here's the link to the boat for sale.
37' Talisman 1975 41 with pulpit ...Must See Blue Water SailBoat!
rickykngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 17:06   #2

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch
Re: Seller doesn't allow sea trial because the boat is not insure

yes, very fishy.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 17:15   #3

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickykngo View Post
does it sound fishy that the seller doesn't want any sea trial of his boat the reason he said it's not insure. He's gonna just turn on the engine and shift it into gears without leaving the slip. How am I going to know the boat is seaworthy or not. Any tip to look out for?

Here's the link to the boat for sale.

37' Talisman 1975 41 with pulpit ...Must See Blue Water SailBoat!

Definitely questionable. Will he allow a survey of the vessel? Without a sea trial and/or a survey, I would not touch it...
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 17:23   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Blue water boat with a domestic AC refrigerator and AC toaster oven ?

Photos can lie but she does look pretty nice at that price although there aren't any photos of the important stuff and very little detail in the listing..
Old 08-12-2016, 17:32   #5

Boat: Westsail 28

No insurance is not a good thing so I can understand seller not wanting to take it out . What sends a red flag for me is the price .
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 17:35   #6

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

No Sea Trial, NO DEAL.
Good deals are FOOLS Deals.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 17:37   #7

Looks like a marina man cave. Pedestal TV, booze sitting on top of cabinets.

If it's about insurance then why cant owner take her out with you as passenger.
Old 08-12-2016, 17:45   #8

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

The sea trial won't tell you as much as you think. A good survey, and a low-ball offer to cover those things you can't test without getting underway, and you might have a great boat there.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 18:01   #9

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32

What Tom said plus what some others have said the boat is not ready to go sailing bottles on top of cabinates and unsupported TV. Maybe the seller is not a sailor, maybe it's just a 'love shack'...!

Nice looking boat though... Get a survey. Good luck.
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 18:06   #10

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Actually, no sea trial is not that uncommon, or necessarily deal-breaking... for me anyway. My boat, the guy just couldn't arrange a time for it. Since I knew the boat pretty well already, I didn't insist on it. I could tell by looking at it the condition and what it would do. Turned out I was right. If you trust your surveyor, and/or you already know what you are looking at, you may just let that slide.
The price seems low for it considering it looks to be in good condition and has what should be a good engine. I don't know that boat though I do know of the Challenger built in LA that I have heard had a decent reputation for build quality. If there is something being hidden (bad case of blisters maybe?) sailing it won't necessarily find that. Of course you can raise the sails in the slip to help you assess things.
Edit, after looking at it a bit more, and seeing the ballast and weight of the boat, I might just want to sail her to see how she feels and if I actually like the way she feels and that particular performance.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 18:13   #11

Boat: Catalina 470

I wonder what the cabin sole looks like under all that carpet?
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 18:17   #12

"No insurance" is a pretty good reason - but find out more. Why isn't it insured? Buying a boat from a guy who didn't take care of it is an expensive mistake.

I agree that sea trials rarely tell you anything that can't be seen at the dock. Do everything you would do on a sea trial - run the engine, raise and lower the sails, lower and raise the anchor, try the instruments

But most importantly, get a survey both in the water and out from a good surveyor (find him yourself - not from your broker or the owner) Since this seems to be a first cruising boat for you, don't be your own surveyor.

And the price looks awful good. A boat this old always has lots of things to be fixed and the survey won't find all of them. I'd be surprised if you didn't spend over $10,000 in the first six months of ownership on "surprises". Make sure you've got the budget for this.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 18:39   #13

Thank you for all the inputs. I asked if I can come with a captain to sea trial and he said absolutely not. He doesn't want to waste mine and his time because he priced low already. Should I get a mechanic surveyor or a boat surveyor and what kind of problem can he find in the engine when it's not run in sea trial? Is it a waste of money for a surveyor because it seems fishy? Thanks.
rickykngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 18:48   #14

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
yes, very fishy.
I smell a RAT !!
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 19:15   #15

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickykngo View Post
Thank you for all the inputs. I asked if I can come with a captain to sea trial and he said absolutely not. He doesn't want to waste mine and his time because he priced low already. Should I get a mechanic surveyor or a boat surveyor and what kind of problem can he find in the engine when it's not run in sea trial? Is it a waste of money for a surveyor because it seems fishy? Thanks.
If you really feel something is off about this deal then don't bother I'd say. If you have doubts, keep looking. But if it were me, I know a great surveyor, though he may be retired now, and I know a great diesel mechanic, so I would hire them both if I really liked the boat and knew it was the kind or model I wanted. Ask around there who the locals go to for good surveys and engine work. I don't know MDR but there are a few folks on here who do, hopefully they will chime in with a recommendation or two.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote