Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2015, 15:19   #1

Boat: Adams 40
Seeking wisdom about the C&C 44

I'm in the process of looking for my next boat - having severe problems living back on solid ground - and am starting to take a serious look at the C&C 44s. From the research I've done to date, they seem to be well built, sound seaworthy boats with good sailing performance and they do appear to have sufficient living space. The purpose of the boat will be to live aboard (yes, just me most of the time), to take short trips (both with crew and single-handed and, soon enough, to disappear over the horizon and do some serious cruising.

As there are, to my best knowledge, none of these boats available here in Australia, I'm looking to purchase one wherever it happens to be. There are several for sale at the moment in various locations.

So, to my question... Having no experience with this type of boat, I'd like to seek advice from those who do know about them. Let me start this discussion with a specific question:

What are the common problems to be found with the C&C 44s?

Thanks in advance,
David
Ozwizz54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 20:42   #2

Re: Seeking wisdom about the C&C 44

Can't answer your question but will throw out some general information.

I just bought a C&C 41 almost exact one month ago and have already been out 4 times for about 30 hours - what an amazing sailing boat.

My understanding is these boats are quite similar overall in underbody and Rig - the 44 being a little bigger of course.

There is also a local C&C 44 that has done something like 7-8 of the Vic-Maui races.

So I would agree - great boat and if well cared for and prepared - capable of anything.

Don't let anyone scare you about the Balsa cored Hull - almost none of them have ever had a problem with this from what I have been able to find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
kabball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 21:33   #3

Thanks for your feedback, Kabball.

Yes, I'd heard that the C&C 41 was similar. Rob Ball, of course, is a legendary designer and these boats have a great reputation. Naturally I'm trying to get behind the gloss before I commit to anything. It's a long way to bring a boat home to Oz and this will probably be my last boat. I want to get it as right as possible and go in with my eyes wide open.

Did you have your boat surveyed prior to purchase? If so, what issues appeared?
Old 31-03-2015, 21:39   #4

My boat was babied by the previous owner and had a fairly complete refit about 10 years ago.

No problems to be found

So far my biggest issues are just needing to replace my second reefing line.

Espar forced air heating needs servicing ( fuel filter I think ) and that's about it. Had amazing sailing just today, I really am loving it.

Yes I know there was a C&C 44 in San Diego and a couple in Eastern Canada.

Good luck

Old 01-04-2015, 03:19   #5

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

A Danish mate has a 42 CC and though the boat has seen lots of miles, it is holding up well.

I would expect the 44CC to have the same qualities.

Bavaria also make this type of vessel; it is called the Ocean series and it too is well stuck together with hd components everywhere. I saw a Bav Ocean 51 on Yachtworld 2 days ago. Have a look. (I had a 97 Bavaria 46 Exclusive and it was also well built. The change over to big production line occurred in 2000; before that they were semi custom builder..)

GL with your search.

http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/20...n#.VRvHIlztaD4
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:58   #6

That's good information, Eleuthera. Thank you. I'll take a look at the Bavaria boats.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:51   #7

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozwizz54 View Post
That's good information, Eleuthera. Thank you. I'll take a look at the Bavaria boats.
Glad to be of service; this forum is about knowledge.

Cheers,
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:21   #8

Boat: C&C 35 Mk III

The best source of information for anything C&C related is the "official" website: C&C Yachts - C&C Photo Album & Resource Center
If you join the email list, as listed on the home page there, you can ask current and past owners their opinions and concerns. There is a huge knowledge base there.
Paradigm Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:24   #9

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I've owned 3 of the smaller C&C boats, including one designed by Rob Ball, and all were excellent. I was considering a 41 for sale locally, and researched the model in depth, in addition to viewing and discussing with the owner. The quality of fit and finish, the materials chosen, it is a high quality yacht. I'm familiar with the 41, which IMHO is the apex of the C&C boats. The reduced wieght due to cored hull is amazing. The acceleration during a gust is tangable. The response to the helm, tight turn radius, and overall feel of the boat is amazing.

However, these boats have a strong RACE influence in the design. Although this makes them fast, they are not as spacious or full of creature comforts as some other vessels in the same size range. Also, the flatish bottom/fin keel design can tend to slam into big seas. For true blue water a full keel is better. Same goes for the rudder...alot of stress on the rudder post and bearings since there is no support below the waterline. Imagine the forces on the rudder during a storm with big waves slamming the stern about.

On the other hand, fast passages and better boat speed than almost anything else your size is pretty fun too. Going fast often means you may be able to avoid/outrun the bad weather coming.

I'm on Lake Ontario, home of C&C yachts in their heyday, and they are still a common boat around here, in all sizes. I visited Niagara on the Lake, home of their main manufacturing plant at one time, and was pleasantly surprised to visit a marina almost entirely filled with C&C yachts. Actually, I had just come from the annual C&C regatta in Toronto, so it shouldn't have been such a surprise.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:47   #10

Boat: Nordic sailboat 44’

We just bought a Nordic 44 (there is another one still available in Seattle) for its bluewater sailing ability and have been surprised at how well it moves in light air. Not many around but this Robert Perry design was well built.
bailey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:07   #11

Boat: Hans Christian 4750

Ditto on hamburking above. The C&C 44 is a beast and is really a racing design that can be cruised. I owned and sailed a Rob Ball 37/40XL for over 12 years (still for sale in MA). Races wonderfully and reasonably comfortable for cruising. the 44 is similar - but bigger with a second head - but may not have the cruising accouterments (gensets, storage space, tankage for water and fuel), that a true cruising design would offer. If you're intending to race and coastal cruise. this boat should fit your needs. Bluewater? - maybe not so much.
ztsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 15:07   #12

Nordic 44 and Norsman 447. In my opinion , huge offshore performance with proper tankage, rigging, keel, rudders and motors.

Mike R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 16:32   #13

Quite a bit to digest there from everyone... I do appreciate the comments from you all. And I'll check out those alternative designs a couple of people suggested. Not a fixed decision to go witht he C&C but I really like all the positive things I've read and heard so far.

The lack of tankage has been of some concern to me as I've looked at the 44... Which leads me to my next question:

Is there space to add more tanks - especially for fresh water? 100 gallons (378 litres) is definitely short even for singlehanding.

Or would the addition of a water "maker" be sufficient?
Old 01-04-2015, 16:44   #14

People have made very good points about tankage and those aspects. Sometimes I forget those are just as important when talking about passages.

The boat is capable to sail the distance but sustaining humans during the transit - it will take some custom additions I guess.

Russ

Old 01-04-2015, 17:23   #15

Have you considered Draft? Keels on Racers are deep. Regarding tankage, tanks are often not easy to "add" and don't forget the need to fill from the deck. If your not experienced at "outfitting" an offshore boat you would do best by getting one that's "been there done that" also consider engines. Often engine HP is less on a Racer type than us considered normal for Offshore

Mike R is offline   Reply With Quote