Thanks for all the input!
That Mystery looks nice but a bit out of my price
I guess the option on converting to tiller never occurred to me. By the way, am I crazy for being so stuck on finding a boat with a tiller or considering a conversion on a wheel boat?
To answer some questions that Adelie asked:
- The regular crew will be me, my wife, and 2.5 year old son
- We have a lot of small boat sailing experience and some limited cruising experience
- This will not be a live aboard or full time cruiser, but rather for long weekend trips around the Virgin Islands
and eventually down island (ideally I want a little piece of land in Dominica
and then sail back and forth to visit)
- I don't have keel
preference except for it should be a lead bolt on. It seems fin keels have more advantages over full keels
- Same with rudder, no preference but it seems skeg has the most advantages
- I am open to sloops, ketches, cutters, etc.
- I would consider a cat if they were in my price
range but for now I think I will have to limit my search to monohulls
I started looking into the 80's Beneteau
First series and the Idylle and these boats seem to fit the bill- except for that deep draft
. Not sure if I want something with more than 6' draft
. Also, I assume these 1980's Beneteau First and Idylle's had iron keels?
I do like those Tartans...
Please keep the suggestions coming