Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2016, 09:34   #16

Re: Seaward 46Rk wonder if the company has sold any of these boats

The chair is fairly standard for pilot house deck salon models. It just looks like it works in this model. Full 270 degrees of visibility from inside the salon can't be ignored. The first mates chair is sorta stupid though. I think they opt out for longer cabinet space. My favorite part is the two step companionway.

I just finished talking with seaward yachts. She said they had a 2015 46rk demo that had been reduced from 750k to 655k. I replied "how many have been built since 2009?" She said 7.

One boat a year means one of two things to me. No orders. Or extremely well built, like A swan or Oyster.

My question is, why make another demo if you're not selling boats? They're building boats for fun I guess. And how do you have time to make a demo if you're making custom boats...

If twi took over production in 2015, that means it was a demo for twi.

It was hull number 106 out of 7 boats so I'm guessing the twi yard has produced 1 boat as of May 2016? Or 0.

I wonder why.
Deep Blue Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 09:40   #17

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Nice boat, which I like as well.

However, it's not really a two step companionway is it? Four steps on two levels at the helm station.

Notice there is also a small step down in the sole as well
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_14948-46_Rotator_21331833043.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	350.8 KB
ID:	124544  
Old 18-05-2016, 09:55   #18

They spread the steps around. From the cockpit to deck salon, it's only one real step then the floor.

I have a larger dog and parents pushing 70. I plan on having them all aboard as often as possible. So the ease of going below are vital in the layouts I'm considering.
Old 18-05-2016, 10:16   #19

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

OK, one step then. But, maybe if you click on the image I posted. Then zoom in on the area behind the dinette backrest and look carefully. You can see two steps with teak strips, then the intermediate level. Then the other step down to the salon floor.

That's five foot placements to the salon floor, plus the half step in the salon floor, plus the step back up to sit down at the dinette area.

So a total of seven level changes to go from the cockpit to sitting at the dinette.
Old 18-05-2016, 10:22   #20

The top step is the same height as the cockpit floor. You step over then down one and you're on the first level.

I see what you're saying. Lots of steps. And I agree. But handling one step at a time is better for a dog or senior when compared to a ladder or stairway.

Although based on your observation, lots of trip hazards. Just not so far to fall I guess...
Old 17-09-2016, 05:14   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue Blues View Post
The chair is fairly standard for pilot house deck salon models. It just looks like it works in this model. Full 270 degrees of visibility from inside the salon can't be ignored. The first mates chair is sorta stupid though. I think they opt out for longer cabinet space. My favorite part is the two step companionway.

I just finished talking with seaward yachts. She said they had a 2015 46rk demo that had been reduced from 750k to 655k. I replied "how many have been built since 2009?" She said 7.

One boat a year means one of two things to me. No orders. Or extremely well built, like A swan or Oyster.

My question is, why make another demo if you're not selling boats? They're building boats for fun I guess. And how do you have time to make a demo if you're making custom boats...

If twi took over production in 2015, that means it was a demo for twi.

It was hull number 106 out of 7 boats so I'm guessing the twi yard has produced 1 boat as of May 2016? Or 0.

I wonder why.
Interesting, i wonder if these low numbers of production are a result of both their rather high price and the very challenging new boat sales market (particular sail) over those years following the 2008 market crash.

I am primarily a multihull guy, so I really appreciate a shallow water capabilty for a boat utilized on the east coast of the USA, and Bahamas. I personally believe it is a very innovative design.

Wish them the best, innovation is tough to sell.
Old 17-09-2016, 05:17   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran

PS: I think a variation on this design would have been a much better choice for Jimmy Buffett if he were only interesting in a monohull. That new boat he has in-build is just not a shallow water design.
Old 17-09-2016, 06:52   #23

I had to mark this lovely vessel off my list. Too expensive, company changed hands. No reliability for future parts or service.

Buffet still spending time in the keys? Not much good to have a deep draft there.
Old 19-09-2016, 15:54   #24

Boat: Catalina 30

First, I believe that Hake (Seward) actually bought out Island Packet as it was going belly up.

I was wondering if that Captain's chair had an inside steering station with engine controls.

I agree, that is a lot of money for this boat. I was aboard the 32 at the Miami show several years ago. I thought the interior was rather sterile looking.Dfferent strokes for different folks.
anchorbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 14:30   #25

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorbend View Post
I was wondering if that Captain's chair had an inside steering station with engine controls.
If I understand things correctly, you can use the autopilot from inside, but you can't steer it directly.

I think the Seaward 46RK is a masterpiece. It's a boat designed by a guy who loves boats, not by committees and market research groups. Lifting keel (much more useful than a swing keel). Deck prisms. Catbird seats. Enormous sail locker. The best navstation ever. I hated the look of it when I first saw it, but it really grew on me. Photos don't do it justice, you have to see it at a boat show.

The only possible flaw I can find is that I would prefer it a little wider, and where do you sit inside when sailing on a starboard tack? But I could live with that. What I can't live with is the price. 700K+ ! Shave off 200K from that price and it would be at the top of my list.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
award, seaward