Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2013, 19:12   #1

Boat: Bayfield 25
Searching for the Right Boat

I'm the proud owner of a Bayfield 25. Recently I completed a transatlantic crossing on another boat and have decided I must move up, as my boat is more or less incapable of offshore sailing.
Mt question is what kind of boat suits a young woman who enjoys single handing offshore? My purse is small, so I will need to find something I'll probably have to work on a lot but I have a lot of free time and skills, plus a lot of help.

I'm currently contemplating a Tayana 37 but the boat is in bad shape. Not totally beyond saving, but pretty close.

Ideas are appreciated!
SVStargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 21:02   #2

Re: searching for the right boat

Maybe a little idea about your price range!! That is number one.then size of boat will be number two that will take you to number three fitting out the boat.
There are a lot of boats between 30 and 40 feet to chose from.lets go from there to start.
Ricky j reading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 22:04   #3

Boat: Vancouver 27

If you're willing to keep it near the range of your Bayfield, there are some very well built and capable boats to be had.

Atom Voyages - Good Old Boats List

Large or small, if you're patient enough and in no hurry to buy, anything's possible
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 05:57   #4

Boat: Tayana 37

A Rawson 30 might be a good choice. If you're budget is in the 50-100k range, the Shannon 38 would be a good choice.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 06:49   #5

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Tayana 37 is an excellent choice. Depending on your age, maybe the upper limit of single-handing. Maintenance wise, stay away from teak decks. Some other choices might be...Shannon 38, Tartan 37, Corbin 39, Cabo Rico 38, Cape Dory 36 and of course...Hallberg Rassy 35.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 07:23   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I will second (third?) the suggestion to establish a rough budget as the definition of a small purse is quite relative. What I consider a small purse would be a bit different than the definition of a Wall Street banker (gee I have a small purse since I can't afford a yacht as big as Larry Ellison's).

Also, offshore can have a different meaning to different people. Offshore could mean to the Caribbean from the east coast US or transatlantic. The later would require more consideration of tankage and stores since you would be looking at much longer passages and much further from re-supply.

As far as singlehanding, I have owned sailboats from 32' to 65'. Rigged properly and with good sized winches any of them could be sailed singlehanded. To me the limiting factor is how large a main sail you can carry (or drag) on deck and bend to the mast. Other than that a big winch will let even a relatively small person hoist and trim sails. The other factor is docking. Even if you live on the hook you have to come to the dock occasionally.

For me the max limit for comfortable handling is about what I have mid forty foot range. Others don't feel comfortable above the mid-low thirty foot range.

I would personally go lower than about 30' as smaller your storage is more limited and space can get cramped, even for one person. Also as the boat gets much small the motion in a choppy sea is less comfortable.

So good luck and look forward to hearing more from you.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 07:43   #7

Boat: Still saving up for the next one!

I think a Tayana 37 would be a good choice as they have a high resale value. I made the mistake of spending a lot of time and money on a wooden boat. At the end of the day the boat still had a low resale value. Bad investment!
Freddy_Vagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 07:45   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: searching for the right boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy_Vagner View Post
I think a Tayana 37 would be a good choice as they have a high resale value. I made the mistake of spending a lot of time and money on a wooden boat. At the end of the day the boat still had a low resale value. Bad investment!
Boats are definitely NOT an investment... they are in the 'Money you can afford to lose' bracket..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 07:53   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Boats are definitely NOT an investment... they are in the 'Money you can afford to lose' bracket..
OK you are right of course, I stand corrected. Please allow me to change bad "investment" to "relative loss of cash into the hole in the water".

But hope you understood what I was trying to say...
Old 22-12-2013, 08:01   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

I have had my Jeanneau 43 DS for just one season and love it. Suprisingly quick, easy to handle single handed and lots of live-aboard room. If you are prepared to take on an ex-charter vessel and buy in the Med you will get alot of boat for your money.
Alenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 08:14   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: searching for the right boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy_Vagner View Post
OK you are right of course, I stand corrected. Please allow me to change bad "investment" to "relative loss of cash into the hole in the water".

But hope you understood what I was trying to say...
Totally... just trying to clarify any possible misunderstanding that may arise for a relative newbie..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 12:39   #12

Boat: Bayfield 25
The Tayana was asking 10k as it's in relatively questionable shape, but the owners have no interest as it was inherited it, not voluntarily bought. Be been advised that I should offer around 5.

It's possible it will need a new engine. I'm hopeful but not entirely confident that the mast is in reasonable shape. It's wooden. I actually have possession of the staysail boom., also wooden.

I missed an opportunity on a Cape Dory unfortunately.
SVStargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 12:42   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Totally... just trying to clarify any possible misunderstanding that may arise for a relative newbie..
OK, thanks for the heads up

I'm learning, mostly the hard way though...
Old 22-12-2013, 12:51   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVStargazer View Post
The Tayana was asking 10k as it's in relatively questionable shape, but the owners have no interest as it was inherited it, not voluntarily bought. Be been advised that I should offer around 5.

It's possible it will need a new engine. I'm hopeful but not entirely confident that the mast is in reasonable shape. It's wooden. I actually have possession of the staysail boom., also wooden.

I missed an opportunity on a Cape Dory unfortunately.
Wow, 5K for a Tayana 37. I think it would be a great project boat for you.

Don't worry about wooden masts, they are easy to fix. Mine had extensive dry rot at the base which I cut out and epoxied new wood slats into the gaping holes and it worked just fine. The fitting for the forestay had just screws and these ripped out the first time I went sailing so I changed all the screws to through bolts and again no more problems.
Old 22-12-2013, 12:56   #15

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

If you are looking in the "budget" range, look at the Hunter 37 cutter. Deck stepped mast cutter rig good tankage and can be had cheap because of the Hunter name. Most will have issues because of age but you said you can fix things.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote