Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2010, 16:17   #1

Boat: Prout 46
Seamaster 46

I am looking for a former boat of mine. It was a Bob Perry designed 1983 Seamaster 46. The boats name was Chinook Pass but we sold it to a lawyer in 2001 who renamed it Caveat (I think) and documented it in Deleware. It was sold again I believe in 2004-2005. If anybody has knowledge of this vessel or would just like to talk about Seamasters, let me know.
Kashmir cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 18:32   #2

Boat: Seamaster 46 - Second Wave
Second Wave - formerly Chinook Pass

Hello – I have to tell you about a strange thing that happened to me today. I was sitting in front of my computer at work with a few minutes to spare and on a whim I typed “Seamaster 46” into the Google search engine as I happen to own one. Up came a link to this cruising forum (which I had never heard of before) and your query re the whereabouts of your former vessel.
The boat is now called Second Wave. I purchased her from Paul Jacobson – the lawyer that you had sold it to (He had indeed renamed the boat “Caveat”). Paul kept the boat up in Milford, Connecticut where he had a hired captain maintaining it for him. I believe that his plans were to use the boat as a floating office of sorts but that apparently didn’t pan out for him. My wife and I saw the boat listed for sale with a Connecticut area broker – Chan Moser Yachts. We had been looking for a good blue-water yacht along the U.S. east coast for about a year when we came across her. Much negotiation ensued as we found extensive water intrusion in the balsa core through the rear cockpit sole and under the mast step - We needed the purchase price to reflect the repairs that would be required. We took possession in January 2005 and sailed her up to our home near Toronto Canada in May. We spent a year working on the boat. The aforementioned repairs were completed as well as replacement of the non-skid, an awlgripped deck and a host of other stuff. We then took the boat south to the Bahamas for a one year “playcation” with our two boys on board. This was the second sailing trip for my wife and I as we had spent two years living aboard a steel-hulled cutter “pre kids” down in the Caribbean and South America.
Currently Second Wave resides at the Whitby Marina on the north shore of Lake Ontario just east of Toronto. We are very happy with her and are in the process of installing a bow thruster and replacing the main sail. The boat will be our weekend getaway this summer.
I certainly would like to talk about Seamasters – mine in particular! Prout catamarans would also be a great topic of conversation. Please feel free to contact myself and my wife. Our email address is secnd_wave@hotmail.com. Our phone # is 289-240-0802.
Cheers and looking forward to hearing from you.
Matt and Lynda Beetham
Second Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:29   #3

Boat: Seamaster 46
Seamaster 46

Picked up on your email reference a Seamaster 46 the likes of which i also own. We have had ours almost 10 years and love it. I completely refitted the sails and instrumentation as well as a new genset and some interesting modifications. I would like to exchange thoughts on the subject as we are thinking of moving to a trawler and selling our sailboat.
Cheers - Ace
Aces Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 17:22   #4

Changing ships

Dear Ace: The Seamaster 46 is a GREAT boat! We bought ours from the original owner in 1996 and lived aboard in the Pacific Northwest and the Caribbean for many years. It was our first boat. We had never owned nor sailed before. We used it more like a sail stabilized trawler thanks to the 85 hp Perkins, folding 3 blade prop, inside steering, and 500 gallon gas tank. The drawback to the boat is of course the small berths. They are great for one person but pretty cramped for two. Also the center cockpit is too small although the rear cockpit (if you have one) is great. We ended up selling it in Florida and it eventually ended up in the hands of the previous post.
We have looked into buying a trawler but after much research decided to buy a sail catamaran for the following reasons:

1. Stable at sea. Not all trawlers are stabilized.
2. 2 engines and sails instead of only one engine.
3. Shallow draft. Ours is 3'9". Also will rest on the bottom if the tide leaves you.
4. GREAT maneuverbility. 2 engines set 20 feet apart allow for pivoting within its waterline.
5. Redundant systems. 2 of everything.
6. Giant increase in room. Our Prout 46 has 2 king sized beds, a 4X4 foot shower, an 8 foot by 5 foot head plus another one, huge salon with a great inside steering station. There is so much room, there are cabins that we don't go into unless we have guests. The interior space of a catamaran is estimated to be 50-60% more than an eqivalent length monohull.
7. Giant cockpit and great deck space.
8. PRICE! A used 40-50 foot catamaran is going to be almost half the price of a used 40-50 foot trawler.
Good luck with your new boat whatever you end up with. But just remember, you will be hard pressed to find ANY boat built as well as the Seamaster 46. Erik
Old 06-11-2010, 23:30   #5

Boat: Vagabond 42
This is way too coooool!!!

Got to LOVE the forum!!
Old 30-03-2019, 11:01   #6

Re: Seamaster 46

I have a new RDR sail made by Newport Sail for a Sea Master 46 that I'm interested in selling if anyone is interested. Boat was totalled in a storm before we ever had time to hoist new sail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0330191357.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	410.5 KB
ID:	189031  
Seamaster46sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 19:23   #7

Sorry to hear that. What hull number was she and where was she wrecked? My wife and I lived aboard a Seamaster 46 in the PNW and Caribbean for many years. She was built like a brick house. Must have been a heck of a wreck. Sorry again.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:22   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Seamaster.
Sorry, for your loss.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 11:53   #9

Boat: Looking for Seamaster 46
Re: Second Wave - formerly Chinook Pass

I am looking for a Seamaster 46, if you have any info I'd be greatful.
danfien66 is offline   Reply With Quote