Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2012, 21:25   #31

Re: Seafarer Tripp 30 In Portland OR

David! do the bottom yourself, but make sure to read the safety precautions. My first boat, about 40 years ago, I sanded away for a couple of hour and realized that my eyes were watering and then my nose started running. I was a wreck for hours afterwards. A simple dust mask and some goggles and I would have been fine. It is boring work , but it is time vs money, which most things on boats end up as.____Good Luck.____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012, 12:22   #32

Boat: Seafarer Tripp 30
Well I'm sitting aboard right now and so far it has far exceeded my expectations. I'll probably be here the whole day exploring every nook and cranny. I can't believe I'm actually on my boat. It's almost too much to take in.
david7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012, 13:18   #33

Location: I live in Warrenton, GA and sail s/v CaiLeigh Anna out of St. Simons Island, GA
Boat: Catalina 34

Congratulations on finally meeting your boat. Everything you hear about the first day being one of the two best days on your boat is true. Your objective is to dispel the second half of the saying. I've had my current boat for 12 years and every time I set foot on her I feel like it's the first day all over again.

There are a couple active forums for Seafarer owners, and I would like to invite you to join the Seafarer Yacht Group on Facebook. We have over 155 members and are the largest group of Seafarer owners on the web. You will find that the knowledge of other Seafarer owners and S30 owners in particular will be of invaluable help as you learn about this boat.

Again, congratulations on becoming the owner of a classic sailboat.

James
Hugh17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012, 22:23   #34

Boat: Cascade 42 Maria Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by david7 View Post
Well I'm sitting aboard right now and so far it has far exceeded my expectations. I'll probably be here the whole day exploring every nook and cranny. I can't believe I'm actually on my boat. It's almost too much to take in.
David
Congratulations I am glad the boat exceeded your expectations.
How long will you be in town?
I would like to stop by and see her.
Tim
pdxsailordiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012, 22:41   #35

hugh17-I just requested to join the Seafarer group. Thanks for the tip.

Tim-I'm meeting with the surveyor tomorrow morning and should be on the boat most of the afternoon. One of the CF members already stopped by to take a look.

I'll let you guys know what the survey turns up.
Old 29-09-2012, 14:39   #36

Hey guys, thanks to everyone who stopped to see the boat...it was cool meeting some of you in person. The survey went relatively well except for one small issue...the mast. The hull is in decent shape but needs a little fiberglass repair and I need to pull the prop shaft and restuff it. But the mast is rotted in several places and might need replacing. So my new plan is to find someone to help with the hull and engine work, put the boat in the water without the mast and move aboard. Then I'll see what my finances are like and go from there. If anyone has recommendations for a fiberglass guy or an engine guy I'd appreciate it. I'm hoping to get started on this in the next couple of weeks.
Old 29-09-2012, 15:38   #37

Boat: C&C 34

I have a mast in good shape for a Tripp 29 in CT. They are probably the same. Let me know what the length is. I could send some pics if interested. Transportation possible.

Aluminum boom, main & jibs sail also available.

Let me know if interested.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 16:52   #38

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

Are you going to be down there tomorrow? Sunday? If so I will stop by.
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 17:26   #39

Opie91...I might be interested in that. It's keel stepped and 37ft 7in long.

Ironhorse74...I'm in Montana right now but hopefully I'll be down in Portland for good within the next two weeks. Just working on logistics.
Old 29-09-2012, 17:50   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Too bad about the mast but the good thing is you should be able to find a used mast fairly easily. Seems masts in the 35'-40' range turn up fairly often. Then again you could put on a carbon fiber stick and have the satisfaction of knowing you've got a mast that cost twice as much as the boat.

If the wooden mast isn't rotten in too many places, a good carpenter will probably be able to splice in good lumber and save the old stick.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 18:15   #41

Boat: Tartan 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh17
The Seafarer 30 is a good boat. Judging from the pictures she has been well maintained. Hopefully, the engine is in good condition or you may sink many more thousands into her. I'm not too keen on the tiller steering but that is something you can change.

Seafarer went out of business in the 1980s but there is a very active Seafarer owners group on Facebook called "Seafarer Yacht Group." We have 157 member/owner so it's a great place to bounce problems and ideas off fellow owners.

We have another Seafarer owner (S38C) from the NW who is full time cruising with his wife. So the boats are certainly seaworthy. I look forward to hearing about your adventures here and maybe on the Seafarer Yacht Group.
Nice boat! Top bad about mast, but maybe you can get an aluminum stick. Poke around boatyard and try to find abandoned boats/spars...

I disagree with Hugh17 about tiller steering. IMHO any well designed boat under 35, or even 38 feet should be tiller steered. Much more feel, more space, and simpler. I converted to tiller from wheel, and used the sale price of the pedestal to help buy a below decks autopilot which is the best with tiller up out of the way!
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 16:12   #42

Well I'm officially moving down there tomorrow...hopefully will be starting work this coming week. It still doesn't feel real to me. Maybe it will after I get it in the water. Thanks for the feedback...I appreciate it.
Old 19-03-2013, 14:10   #43

Hi David,

Congratulations! I own Hull # 1, built in 1960 in Werkspoor, Holland. You have a very solid boat and should have no worries about the hull to deck joint. It is very solid, tight, and doesnt flex. In general, the construction and scantlings are excellent, adn the boat is sea-friendly adn points very well. And, she'll get you lots of compliments.

At 53 years old, your boat will need TLC, and since you got a great price you should give it some extra love. I repowered mine with a 16hp Beta Marine, re-bedded the chain plates, put in a new gas tank, new head, new headsail, windlass, rebuilt the rudder (damaged), put in a nav-system & auto-tiller, new self tailing winches, new standing rigging, new barrier coat, new through-hulls, and just last year gave her new awl-grip. Go slowly, but maintain the essential infrastructure.

Do not waste your money putting in a wheel - stick with the tiller! A wheel will cause other issues and will cost a lot - I asked about it and was persuaded not to do it by a real pro. Don't spend money on eye candy until you take care of the vital necessities - check your through-hulls, stuffing box, bilge pump, stays, etc.

You own a really great boat, but she will need some proper care. Enjoy,

Mark
SeafarerTripp30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 22:36   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I'd forgotten about this thread. Anyone hear from David 7 or know how's he doing with his boat??
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 09:27   #45

Hey guys, sorry I didn't update sooner. Once I got to the boat I kind of forgot about this thread myself...so here's a little recap.

I had a surveyor (Alison Mazon) go through the boat and give me a priority checklist of what to fix first. So I spent two-weeks living on the boat in a yard getting the engine and everything below the waterline in good shape. Then I moved across the street for new bottom paint and a splash.

The week it spent in that yard without a tarp exposed all the deck leaks...so I rebedded a couple windows and still have a few covered with duct tape waiting for some good weather. It's funny that I was worried about the hull-to-deck joint because that has to be one of the solidest parts on the boat.

The 53 year-old wood mast is the other epic project. It was covered in off-white house paint and after removing hardware and stripping it there were a few soft spots. Pulling up those sections revealed more problems...so now I pretty much have a 70% new wood mast and am 11 coats of varnish in...just waiting for the magic coat that looks perfect and I'll be installing hardware, replacing some rigging, and stepping it.

I got so involved in projects I almost forgot I had a sailboat for a while there...and she definitely doesn't look quite right without the mast. But even so I still get compliments on the lines and I can't wait to get some canvass up. After a year in on the hard and six-months at the dock this boat is long overdue for a shakedown run.

Tags
portland