Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2012, 13:55   #1

Sea-worthy 30 footers for live-aboard?

Thanks for checking this out, first off.
I'm about to move down to Tampa, Florida and have a decent amount of boating experience and familiarity(not really any sailing), but I wanted to start sailing and living aboard.
I was previously looking at the Albin Vega 27, or the Nor'Sea 27, but my girlfriend and dog are taking the trip with me so something with a little more space would be preferable(unless most of you think that the Albin/Nor'Sea -would- be comfortable in that case).
An easy starter would be nice too but I learn quick and can pull my weight accordingly, so it doesn't matter too much.
I plan on keeping this boat around for a good portion of the next decade, and will most likely be sailing in it down through the Gulf, South America, and hopefully the East Indies/Australia.(I don't plan on making these trips right away, after a few years once I'm steady on a cruiser)
Well, I can afford up to $30K and looking for anything between 29-35Ft., from what I've heard anything larger would be too difficult to start on.
Any advice, points-in-the-right-direction and suggestions are great.

Also, if anybody has any recommendations on live-aboard marinas in/near Tampa that'd be great too.

Thanks again and have a good one.
tetraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 14:24   #2

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37
Re: Sea-worthy 30 footers for live-aboard?

I can only speak to the Albin Vega, as I have one.

It is a comfortable small cruiser for our family (2 adults, and 2 kids ages 5 and 2). All the seaworthiness and ride comfort reviews are true, it is an awesome little boat. We have had ours through some really nasty CRUD and it did flawlessly.

For a liveaboard for 2 adults, and long term budget cruising for 2 it would be workable, but would be best if neither of you are over 5'-10" due to the lower ceiling height. I am 6'-1" and the hunching over drives me crazy over a week's cruise. For long term, make sure you can stand up below, or you will regret it.

It is also very limited in galley and head space, although what it has is very functional. No fridge unless you add one, and no oven do limit what can be cooked a bit.

All that said, we love ours, but when we head out for some long term cruising in a few years, we will be buying quite a bit larger. It is an awesome starter boat, and you will love it if you buy one.

One important factor you forgot to mention would be the size of the dog. There is a big difference between a great dane and a chihuahua. If the dog is not young, and has never spent a good amount of time on the boat, you may be better of leaving him/her with friends or family while you cruise. It would be best for all of you. Teaching the dog to go potty on the boat can be impossible in some cases, and seasick pets are even less fun than seasick crew. . .

Be careful with the dog internationally, there can be all sorts of quarrantine headaches when traveling internationally with pets.
Excalibur5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 14:40   #3

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

There are many boats that will fit into your price range, Alberg 30(biased opinion) , abit small inside but sea worthy. Alberg35, very nice one available in richmond, VA for 17k....I am sure there are others, You could probably find a westsail 28 or 32 for 30k if you look carefully. Albin Vega as mentioned but again small, southern cross 31, Nicholson 32 many many sea worthy(my definition of sea worthy) boats that you could live aboard. I find that many of the choices for me will be older boats, requiring work. My Alberg 30 for example. I bought in sailable condition for less than 5k and sail it often, while slowly going through each cabin and system until we are ready to move aboard. I will have to put alot of money, blood, sweat and tears into her, but she will be what I want when finished. Good luck in your search!
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 16:09   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Have you checked out the two links after my signature?
kind regards,
Old 27-07-2012, 16:27   #5

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 31 Monsun, 30'9"

Don't forget to look at Hallberg-Rassy 31 Monsun. We are very happy living aboard and she can handle quite a blow Good luck in your search
Old 27-07-2012, 16:55   #6

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetraj View Post
Thanks for checking this out, first off.
I'm about to move down to Tampa, Florida and have a decent amount of boating experience and familiarity(not really any sailing), but I wanted to start sailing and living aboard.
I was previously looking at the Albin Vega 27, or the Nor'Sea 27, but my girlfriend and dog are taking the trip with me so something with a little more space would be preferable(unless most of you think that the Albin/Nor'Sea -would- be comfortable in that case).
An easy starter would be nice too but I learn quick and can pull my weight accordingly, so it doesn't matter too much.
I plan on keeping this boat around for a good portion of the next decade, and will most likely be sailing in it down through the Gulf, South America, and hopefully the East Indies/Australia.(I don't plan on making these trips right away, after a few years once I'm steady on a cruiser)
Well, I can afford up to $30K and looking for anything between 29-35Ft., from what I've heard anything larger would be too difficult to start on.
Any advice, points-in-the-right-direction and suggestions are great.

Also, if anybody has any recommendations on live-aboard marinas in/near Tampa that'd be great too.

Thanks again and have a good one.

What's your budget to buy and outfit the boat? (living and cruising costs extra.)
Where to you want to go? Are you intending to only spend 2wk a yr cruising or are you looking to spend months at a time crusing? Are you looking to spend a fair bit of time in the islands or stay in US waters?
?
Any really strong preferences to start with? (full/fin keel, mono/multi, spade/skeg/attached rudder, sloop/cutter/mizzen rigged)
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 18:27   #7

I greatly appreciate all the input, the dog is a bull-terrier, so she'll be about 3' 100+lbs. Even though the breed's usually bulky and short, she's rather tall and is more of a water/duck dog than anything so training her onboard and oceanwise won't be a problem.
I'd be outfitting a stove/oven combination as I'm going to culinary school down there, as well as a fold out/sheet marine solar panel setup onboard so about $1500-2K for outfitting/extras. I'd spend the first couple years staying in the Florida/Gulf area on weekend/weekend cruises but after school is over and done with the couple week-month long trips would start.
After some research and consideration, I'm looking at the Tartan 34, Islander MKII 32, Islander 36, and the Cheoy Lee Offshore 32.
Anything 32'+ is preferable, though if there's anything you guys know of like the Islander 36(very roomy, breathable storage and adequately accommodating) for about the same price of 20K-30K, I'd appreciate the help.
As for preferences on the technical stuff, I really have none as I'm just gonna start where I can and learn as I go, take it head on and learn what I love and hate pretty much haha. Though a single mast is what I've been looking at, I'm open to doubles and maybe even a triple.

Thanks for the help and I'm open to any suggestions on the fine details of these boats, I'll try and learn what I can.
tetraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 19:10   #8

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Allied Seawind II
Valiant 32 (if you can find an unblistered one in yoiur price range).
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote