Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2018, 17:20   #1

Sea Wolf 44 common problems and construction.

I came across a Seawolf 44 that is essentially a basket case project and I'm trying to decide if its worth taking the trip to see it. Also I'd like to know if there's any common problems and things to look out for.

Now I'm no stranger to boat projects and I've successfully completed several. But this would be the biggest of them that's for sure. I do have a relative with a marina and that's been the key to my success thus far. But I'm not trying to burn that bridge either. So I'd hate to get it to the yard and find out it'd be better to cut her up.

How are the hulls built? Is there any core in the hull?

The keel is encapsulated, what issues can arise here?

From the pics it appears to be glass over wood. Is that correct? I'm guessing rot is going to be a problem.

What else should I be looking for during my initial inspection? I'm trying to ascertain if its worth spending the time and money for a survey but to be honest there isn't more money than I'm willing to gamble and if the hull isn't solid I'd still most likely break even. So I'm willing to roll the dice on my and my uncle's inspection.

Thanks and don't worry I have thick skin. But I like projects and I've got the time and place. She seems like it could be a nice blue water sail/ motor sail boat when finished and I'm able to scrounge up quite a bit to make it a viable project. If the hull is sound.
Almost-There is offline   Reply With Quote