Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2018, 10:39   #46
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Scuttle your own boat in Great lakes

The issue is more of an ethical one.

The legality is separate.

And finally, the practicality, which just like taking a dump in a public park is something you can easily get away with if you want to be an a55.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 10:57   #47

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Local retard tried it two years ago. Didn't go far enough out, boat washed in (along the bottom) and broke up. People found fiberglass chunks ashore, called cops. Divers found part of the transom with the name on it, tracked down the last known owners, who blew in the guy they sold it to. Last I heard he'd skipped town.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 11:01   #48

>>no one is going to force a recovery of a fiberglass sailboat from 200 feet! but yes I was kidding,maybe kidding on the square a little <<

Obviously you have not dealt with the government much. First, 200 ft is within SCUBA range. Secondly, if you sank it in 500 ft, they might not make you retrieve it, but the government has no issues fining the hell out of people... Stand in front of a judge and tell them that you deliberately sank a boat in deep water. You will likely be telling your friends that "Orange is the new Black".
Oh, and the Coasties have drone subs now you know.... and they are trying to find out how to pay for those things... sink a boat deliberately.... buy the Coasties a drone sub...

Please, do it. TV sucks and you could spice it up a bit.
Dave9111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 11:27   #49

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser

I just read the guy living in Alert bay on Vancouver Island's response and had to laugh. In BC coastal waters, deep water abounds, shallow water not so much. I often read here about the challenges of anchoring in 10 feet of water - come on now. Most of use boat owners along coastal BC consider 30 feet to be shallow water. I lived in an area called Deep Cove, want to guess why it is called "Deep" Cove? You could go two feet from shore in some areas and be in 50 feet to 160 feet in less than a boat length. I'll link to the chart below which shows Anvil Island which is just across from Deep Cove. I now live in Qualicum Beach but my boat is in the Comox Marina.

I had a dilema in that I had a Catalina 27 that eventually was a massive problem, older in the 70's decade sometime I might falsely recall. At some point I thought I'd like to get rid of it as it would never sell (so I thought). And how to get rid of a 27 foot boat is a problem, how and how much, and where. There are scuttled boats all over the BC coast but I didn't want to be one of those guys.

Fortunately for me, some one came forward and offered to purchase it for a dollar. Although feeling guilty as I knew I was ripping him off, I accepted and it was sold - one of the happier days of my life.

Throwing a boat out isn't as easy as you'd think, and at some point, all boats and ships have to be thrown out.

Link to Anvil Island chart illustrating depths in Indian Arm, where Deep Cove is located:

https://www.google.ca/search?tbm=isc...hO5J6sqHgwrEM:
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 11:50   #50
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Littering. And, obviously being illiterate, because anyone in the US or Canada should have most if not all of the Alice's Restaurant Massacre memorized, and know that Officer Friendly is not going to be pleased.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 12:54   #51

Boat: someone elses

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Littering. And, obviously being illiterate, because anyone in the US or Canada should have most if not all of the Alice's Restaurant Massacre memorized, and know that Officer Friendly is not going to be pleased.
And I said "Obie, I don't think I can pick up the garbage with these handcuffs on." He said, "Shut up, kid. Get in the back of the patrol car." ..... but thats not
What I came to tell you about
JMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 13:12   #52

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooglas View Post
You need to research this a bit more before making a statement like that. The Coast Guard will cite you for discharges of fuel, oil, and other contaminated wastes. They will cite you for discharges of sewage in no discharge zones. They will cite you for the discharge of garbage in territorial waters. They will even cite you for the discharge of dredged material without a permit. In other words, their enforcement activities go far beyond hazards to navigation.
I'm well aware that the USCG can fine one for illegal discharges. I do carry those mandatory placards on my boat. However, the original statement was "all environmental problems have already been removed. there is no motor, no fuel tank , no holding tank," so being liable for some petroleum product or sewage discharge was supposedly not an issue here--just the hull. And regardless, I made it very clear in my statement that sinking the boat was not a good idea and could be prosecuted my local authorities as is done where I live in South Carolina.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 14:40   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody46CC View Post
I'm well aware that the USCG can fine one for illegal discharges. I do carry those mandatory placards on my boat. However, the original statement was "all environmental problems have already been removed. there is no motor, no fuel tank , no holding tank," so being liable for some petroleum product or sewage discharge was supposedly not an issue here--just the hull. And regardless, I made it very clear in my statement that sinking the boat was not a good idea and could be prosecuted my local authorities as is done where I live in South Carolina.
--just the hull.

AFAIK plastic(hull) isn't causing any environmental problems in any water anywhere...right??
GuyFromTheNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 14:49   #54

Boat: 1978 Mainship 34 Sedan Trawler MK1

But why do it. I gave away two GOOD boats. The first was a Bruce Roberts 44' center cockpit ketch, steel hull. It is now sitting on the side of a lake in MO with its keel sunk in the ground and being used as a lake cabin. The second sat at my bulkhead, the receiver of it paying me $160 a month for slip fee. It was ready for a circumnavigation when I gave it away but has since deteriorated. The person who got it registered it in his name and later sold it for $5000 to a guy in FL who has stopped paying the slip fee and doesnt answer the phone. BUT I can call the sheriff and have it taken away as an abandoned vessel. I never had a contract with him so its abandoned.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 14:55   #55

Boat: Hunter 340, 1999, 34'

Were I going to do that, I wouldn't post about it on the Internet.
Attikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 18:41   #56

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Fiberglass hulls burn pretty well...

Bit of air pollution, toast some marshmallows...

Or a bucks worth of LPG and a tragic accident...

The possibilities are endless to an inventive mind.

Sheesh!

Jim
Old 30-07-2018, 19:03   #57

Boat: Tartan 3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasreboot View Post
they dont fine you if it sinks by "accident" while under tow.
Hilarious
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 08:02   #58

https://www.proboat.com/2016/09/recycling-dead-boats/
mbbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 20:17   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
So… you're musing about using the public waters as your own personal garbage dump just so you can maximize your profits from this salvaging idea. Seems pretty offensive, even as a thought experiment.

Of course, industry does this everywhere, so perhaps it’s not such an unusual idea .

I See that the EU are look at this very problem of how to recycle of the ever increasing numbers of plastic boat
oldtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 20:39   #60

Boat: Tartan 3000

Not a big deal. Dump her deep.

You're in Canada yes? F the EU!!
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, great lakes