Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2018, 06:24   #16

Re: Scuttle your own boat in Great lakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody46CC View Post
In the USA, the Coast Guard does nothing unless the boat is a hazard to navigation. On the other hand, municipalities and other governmental jurisdictions will come after owners to make them remove the boat. Abandoned and sunk boats are a huge problem in our area, and local authorities are often stuck with substantial removal costs, so they do go after owners if they can be identified. Striking off or defacing a HIN is probably an additional charge if caught. Most taxing agencies will not let you go until you have informed them in writing of your disposition of the boat--and that is writing under penalty of perjury. Having been stuck with whopping bills to remove wrecks, towns around here will make an example of you if they can trace ownership.

You're lucky. In Florida, the authorities just ignore them.
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 07:23   #17
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

That's why they made doing so a felony?

Varies obviously by jurisdiction.

But IMO should be very harshly enforced.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 09:00   #18

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

If by deep water you mean 1,000m and you are in international waters you would not create a hazard and as far as I know not break any laws. You may however have a bit of an epic dingy ride back. Remember the fisherman, just because the boat is below water level does not mean it is below net level!
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 09:01   #19

Boat: Niagara 31

There are people in the Toronto area that will take a donation and give you a tax receipt. I think one is called Brigantine, they strip or fix it up and sell to raise money for charities.
Restlessone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 09:02   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
That's why they made doing so a felony?

Varies obviously by jurisdiction.

But IMO should be very harshly enforced.

Dumping a boat in Florida is a felony? I had heard something about that, but wasn't sure. Of course, they can give it the death penalty if they want to be seen as "taking strong action", but it doesn't matter if it's not enforced.

And it's definitely not enforced.
Old 23-07-2018, 09:08   #21

Boat: Tartan 3000

Sinking her in the great lakes in 200+ feet of water would have the same environmental impact as tossing a bottle overboard. I have no idea how deep the GLs are.
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 09:09   #22

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallythacker View Post
Can anyone shed light on the following scenario??

all environmental problems have already been removed. there is no motor, no fuel tank , no holding tank.

you sail to a very deep part of a great lake, open the seacocks, hop in your dinghy and motor back to shore as you watch the mast go under.

what laws have you broken?

You own a farm with a woodlot. A stream runs through it and past your house. I hike to the farthest part of the woodlot and take a huge dump in the stream. Then I hike out, a few pounds lighter.

What laws have I broken?
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 09:44   #23
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Baby steps

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/n...est/694964001/

http://news.wjct.org/post/abandoned-...st-johns-river

http://www.jacksonville.com/news/met...-can-be-pricey
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 10:19   #24

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallythacker View Post
I don't plan on doing it but with the number of free boats in the local papers, (free if you remove type of deal) I can see it being a plan of others. If they haven't been doing it all along.

A lot of these free deals have boats that are still well equipped with working diesels, transmissions, anchors, windlass, winches, gimbal stoves, bronze portholes, props, the list goes on. On a Hughes in the local buy and sell there was perhaps $3-4k worth of gear that could be stripped out. Balance that against the disposal fee at the local dump and it could be a zero sum game.

The problem is, of course, disposing of the hull after everything of value has been stripped off.

Hello lake....

A better idea would be to stack them up on your own property. Sounds just as good to me.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 10:21   #25

Boat: Tartan 3000

Interesting stories. The prices are marinas are often unaffordable leaving a skint owner with few options. Its not like car someone wants for scrap value, or is it?

Florida could set something up for junk boats. Nominal fee to get rid of fear legally. Win win
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 10:33   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Illegal to sink fiberglass hulls in US waters. I know I, wanted to sink one for a reef appx 6 miles out. Thank goodness I inquired.
Don't Do It.
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 10:34   #27

Littering for starts. $1,000.00 dumping anything on crown land or water. $20,000.00 if it has a fridge in it !
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 10:40   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorzech View Post
Littering for starts. $1,000.00 dumping anything on crown land or water. $20,000.00 if it has a fridge in it !
That would be considered illegal dumping I do believe! There are better alternatives
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 10:45   #29

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody46CC View Post
In the USA, the Coast Guard does nothing unless the boat is a hazard to navigation.
You need to research this a bit more before making a statement like that. The Coast Guard will cite you for discharges of fuel, oil, and other contaminated wastes. They will cite you for discharges of sewage in no discharge zones. They will cite you for the discharge of garbage in territorial waters. They will even cite you for the discharge of dredged material without a permit. In other words, their enforcement activities go far beyond hazards to navigation.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 11:01   #30

Thank you for these stories, John. Good to know what's going on.

One problem spelled out in the last article, though, is "The new law allows law enforcement agencies to take action...". Allows, not requires. That's the first problem. And, not to blame just the LEOs, the rest of the system has to follow up.

That's why all those boats are still out there.

Tags
boat, great lakes