Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2011, 09:39   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Johnson's Island, Lake Erie
Boat: Grampian 26 - Escape Hatch
Posts: 10
Scrapping Boat . . . Recycling Keel

I have an old grampian 26 that is damaged beyond it's worth, I would like to take in the iron keel to a scrap place so I could get a little money out of it. What is the easiest way to remove the keel assuming that I'm not worried about the rest of the boat. It is currently on a trailer. I thought about going to a landfill and they'll help my boat off the trailer into the dump, however would they help me load the keel back up? The keel weighs 2600lbs i believe.
__________________

__________________
ray12515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 13:10   #2
Registered User
 
Wannafish's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Central Michigan
Boat: 34' Seafarer Ketch "Friea"; 30' SeaRay
Posts: 53
Re: scrapping a boat..recycling keel

I, too, am interested in your question. I have a 34' with a 6,000 lb lead keel. Boat needs some work, though is structurally sound, and is on a trailer. Has beautiful sitka spruce masts and booms and a dozen sails. Oh, and NEW Stainelss standing rigging and cast bronze chainplates. I'm tired of 2 years of "tire kickers" saying "it needs work" and they'd "take it if I'd give it to 'em". Well of course it does - that's why I was only asking $4k to get her outta my life. I'm gonna part her out - from the brass sinks, bronze faucets, hammered copper galley counter tops, all new oak interior, new CNG heater mounted on the bulkhead, force ten gimballed stove, the trailer,and lastly, the keel. I'm going to keep the bronze helm with wood wheel to mount in my office.
Any how, I hope to see comments to your thread on how to go about this. I have the area and tools to dismantle it...but will go slowly with my deteriorating health.
__________________

__________________
One day at a time...
Wannafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 13:38   #3
Mooderator
 
capngeo's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Key West & Sarasota
Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Posts: 4,211
Images: 12
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Re: scrapping a boat..recycling keel

__________________
Any fool with a big enough checkbook can BUY a boat; it takes a SPECIAL type of fool to build his own! -Capngeo
capngeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 13:58   #4
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 20,226
Images: 2
pirate Re: scrapping a boat..recycling keel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannafish View Post
I, too, am interested in your question. I have a 34' with a 6,000 lb lead keel. Boat needs some work, though is structurally sound, and is on a trailer. Has beautiful sitka spruce masts and booms and a dozen sails. Oh, and NEW Stainelss standing rigging and cast bronze chainplates. I'm tired of 2 years of "tire kickers" saying "it needs work" and they'd "take it if I'd give it to 'em". Well of course it does - that's why I was only asking $4k to get her outta my life. I'm gonna part her out - from the brass sinks, bronze faucets, hammered copper galley counter tops, all new oak interior, new CNG heater mounted on the bulkhead, force ten gimballed stove, the trailer,and lastly, the keel. I'm going to keep the bronze helm with wood wheel to mount in my office.
Any how, I hope to see comments to your thread on how to go about this. I have the area and tools to dismantle it...but will go slowly with my deteriorating health.
Sounds a terrible waste of a good old boat thats likely still got a lot of good servicable life in her given a touch of elbow driven TLC...
Shame I'm on the wrong side of the pond... have you tried selling on here.. there's always folks popping up after good ole boats to help the under $500/mth dream..
And I love the sound of the fittings/masts etc....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seafarer_34_drawing.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	24242   Click image for larger version

Name:	seafarer_34_drawing1.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	24243  

__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 14:22   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,056
Re: scrapping a boat..recycling keel

ray, the only way you'll get an answer is to ASK THE LANDFILL.

They may not have any lifting equipment besides a big scoop or claw, and they may have a policy of not lifting anything over customer property, because they could drop it and get sued for a new truck, etc.

And of course, they probably won't let you "work on the boat" with a sawzall while you're at the dump.

Either way, no one here can tell you what policies your local yards will have.
__________________
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 14:51   #6
Registered User
 
Wannafish's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Central Michigan
Boat: 34' Seafarer Ketch "Friea"; 30' SeaRay
Posts: 53
Re: scrapping a boat..recycling keel

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
I wasn't sure if I should use a sawzall or chainsaw. Might take a few chains...but a good way to use up the old ones anyway. Maybe the fiberglass is too hard on the teeth. Thoughts?
__________________
One day at a time...
Wannafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 14:53   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2011
Boat: Hirondelle Catamaran 23'
Posts: 35
Re: scrapping a boat..recycling keel

Take boat to landfill. Find guy pushing around trash with loader. Apply fifty bucks to his hand. Watch him take the boat off the trailer, mash it with his bucket and load the keel back onto the trailer. No Sawzall necessary. Guys that work at landfills are not generally rule followers and can often be persuaded by cash.
__________________
Omnia Mea Mecum Porto - Ovid (Everything I have I carry with me.)
Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 14:56   #8
Registered User
 
Wannafish's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Central Michigan
Boat: 34' Seafarer Ketch "Friea"; 30' SeaRay
Posts: 53
Re: scrapping a boat..recycling keel

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Sounds a terrible waste of a good old boat thats likely still got a lot of good servicable life in her given a touch of elbow driven TLC...
Shame I'm on the wrong side of the pond... have you tried selling on here.. there's always folks popping up after good ole boats to help the under $500/mth dream..
And I love the sound of the fittings/masts etc....
She's a Seafarer - ketch rigged. I tried to finish another's boat when he grew too old. My health is shot - can't hardly even climb once up the ladder.

It is an absolute shame, but it's what I'm left with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P2100238.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	24248   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010257.JPG
Views:	450
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	24249  

__________________
One day at a time...
Wannafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 15:08   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,056
Re: scrapping a boat..recycling keel

There's bottom paint on the boat, right?

That's generally considered hazmat and an EPA problem, so again...check with your locals. they may not allow you to create hazmat dust/debris at their facility. At all. In a lot of boatyards, bottom paint has to be contained and disposed of as hazmat--it isn't allowed on the ground at all.

So before you pick the tools...call ahead. The simple things aren't so simple these days.
__________________
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 15:13   #10
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 20,226
Images: 2
pirate Re: scrapping a boat..recycling keel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannafish View Post
She's a Seafarer - ketch rigged. I tried to finish another's boat when he grew too old. My health is shot - can't hardly even climb once up the ladder.

It is an absolute shame, but it's what I'm left with.
I thought you said she was a ketch under your avatar.... but I could not find any info for the ketch version so used the sloop spec instead...lol
She looks to nice to scrap... there must be someone here amongst the dreamers and schemers to take her on... would she be sound if floated... is it serious structual work.. could she be rigged and sailed/motored as is...
Anyone over there need a boat delivering to Europe soon...
Seafarer 34 ketch plus all travel/living/transport expenses.... your boat.. not the Ketch
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 15:30   #11
Registered User
 
crashkahuna's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: So. Calif
Boat: Catalina 28
Posts: 124
Images: 20
Re: scrapping a boat..recycling keel

Seems too nice to scrap especially with a functional trailer (?). Have you tried ebay? I sold a boat where the guy paid the deposit and drove half way across country to complete the deal.
__________________
crashkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 19:25   #12
Registered User
 
hard aground's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: St. Thomas, no not that one.
Boat: C&C 27 mkI
Posts: 39
Re: scrapping a boat..recycling keel

I used a sawzall to cut a keel off without too much problem. Did some jury rigging with the single point lift to yank the boat off the trailer and set it on the ground. Removed the keel from the trailer, then put the boat back on the trailer, took boat and trailer to the dump and disposed of boat. Later put keel in back of truck and took it to MarsKeels and received a cheque. I trust you don't need a boom anymore?
__________________
hard aground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 19:34   #13
Senior Cruiser
 
SkiprJohn's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kea'au, Big Island, Hawaii
Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Posts: 14,192
Re: scrapping a boat..recycling keel

Chainsaws work until you cut into metal. Buy a couple extra chains just to have handy once you start.
kind regards,
__________________
John
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 19:39   #14
Registered User
 
Mark1977's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Halifax, N.S Canada
Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22
Posts: 930
Re: scrapping a boat..recycling keel

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I thought you said she was a ketch under your avatar.... but I could not find any info for the ketch version so used the sloop spec instead...lol
She looks to nice to scrap... there must be someone here amongst the dreamers and schemers to take her on... would she be sound if floated... is it serious structual work.. could she be rigged and sailed/motored as is...
Anyone over there need a boat delivering to Europe soon...
Seafarer 34 ketch plus all travel/living/transport expenses.... your boat.. not the Ketch
BOATMAN....... book a plane ticket...... go save her!!!!!!!
__________________
Mark1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 20:29   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 679
Re: scrapping a boat..recycling keel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray12515 View Post
I have an old grampian 26 that is damaged beyond it's worth, I would like to take in the iron keel to a scrap place so I could get a little money out of it. What is the easiest way to remove the keel assuming that I'm not worried about the rest of the boat. It is currently on a trailer. I thought about going to a landfill and they'll help my boat off the trailer into the dump, however would they help me load the keel back up? The keel weighs 2600lbs i believe.
Remove the bolts (maybe grind?) and then attach the hull to the tow bar of your 4WD and drag it off. Drive the keel to the steelyard and come back for the hull. I ain't saying it's the best idea, but it's a start.
__________________

__________________
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
recycling

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New (to Me) Boat - No Keel - Help ! jordanmkennedy Construction, Maintenance & Refit 21 02-09-2012 20:33
Recycling Expired Hard Bottom RIB forsailbyowner Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy 4 30-12-2009 07:51
Aussie Recycling . . . Ya Gotta Love It! TaoJones Off Topic Forum 14 07-07-2007 04:48



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:19.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.