Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2008, 18:15   #1

Scorpio 35 Sloop 1982

Hi there. I am wondering does anyone have information about these sailboats. We are looking at one that is hull #5. Are the Scorpio's made by Gozzard Yachts?? I have google Scorpio and have not found any relevant info? Anyone hanging around here with some information??

Cheers
Heather
Heather66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 01:49   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Scorpio Yachts Inc:
106 Alexander St W ,
Exeter , Ontario, Canada, N0M 1S3
Phone: (519) 235-1188
Fax: (519) 238-1086
E mail address: info.yachts@scorpioyachts.ca

Officers and Key Personnel:
Haydn Gozzard, President and CEO, Sylvia Gozzard, Secretary/Treasurer, Ed Preszcator, Plant Manager

According to Clifts Marine:
“There was only 5 hulls constructed and this boat is hull number 5 the last one. Originally the boat was designed as a racer and specifically for the Mackinac Race; however this boat was built as a fast cruiser. As a result, she is a well designed, well built and well equipped mast head sloop with a T-Shaped cockpit, furling and a Yanmar diesel.”
For more information on this vessel contact
David Harris at 905.825.0036 or david @cliftsmarine.com

The May/June Issue (#48) of Good Old Boat Magazine had an article titled “Scorpio 35 Refit” by Barry Hammerberg,
Goto: Good Old Boat - Welcome to Good Old Boat Magazine
Then: Good Old Boat - Back Issue CDs

Or PM me a street address, and I will mail you a photocopy of the article.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 17:16   #3

scorpio 35

HI I am the owner of the boat that Barry wrote about in the article for good old boat. My boat had some major issues with wet core in the deck and minor areas of the hull.. It took a lot of work but we are now very happy with it and its sailing ability. Where is the boat you are looking at located? If you have any questions I would be happy to help.
Dave
digmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 18:06   #4

Scorpio 35 - #2 of 5

Through a recent death in my family I have inhereirated the second boat so named Legato of the 5 total Scorpio 35's which were produced by Hayden Gozzard as prototypes. They are comparable to a C&C 35 with a couple of issues with moisture penetration below the waterline & deck surface which seems to deteriorate. My boat is currently listed for sale with swans yachts Swans Yacht Sales in Pickering. Much like the restoration work which Dave undertook (nice article by the way GOB) my Father had the entire deck & helm station restored & the structure below the waterline has been tended too & a recent coat of antifowling paint.

Of the 5 boats that exist, here is a little history on where each of them were sold too....

One was purchased by a gentleman that lived in Puerto Rico, the other four were Canadian purchasers--Lion's Head, Port Elgin, London and Toronto

If you are still interested in acquiring a Scorpio 35, mine is still available... HINT HINT!!!
Dave Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 12:23   #5

We have a Scorpio 35 in Whitby marina. We bought it in Penetanguishine in 2001. Even though we had a professional survey done the surveyor totally missed that the hull was waterlogged (and don't trying suing a surveyor - none of them carry E&O insurance, it is a very unregulated back street operation at best)
Anyway many many thousands of dollars later we now have a closed cell foam core and all is well. The boat sails really well and we are pleased with it. I don't know how accurate the build number is (5?). I have seen a few for sale over the years and I heard there were 9 built but not too sure. I did contact the Gozzards at Scorpio as they are still in business but they were not really interested in a 'discussion' on the boat.
The attached picture shows it as it is today with new canvas; paint job and a whole host of other goodies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scorpio 35 Ardmore.jpg
Views:	921
Size:	376.7 KB
ID:	4852  
Ardmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2008, 10:34   #6

Boat: Scorpio35
Cradle Info.

I am trying to build/purchase a new cradle for a Scorpio35, would the Whitby or Pickering boats have any cradle dimensions available? I'm not interested in a trailer -- can you help guys? Thanks
windpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 06:03   #7

My Scorpio came with a steel cradle from the Cradle Shop in Markham. You could call them for a price or some dimensions.
I am not at the boat this weekend but next time I am there I'll take some measurements and maybe snap a picture (as long as I can find it - the yard staff 'hide' them all over the place after the launch)
Old 29-08-2008, 06:43   #8

Cradle Dimensions

Thanks very much Ardmore. I am the new owner of the Scorpio 35 that was for sale in Hamilton Hull#5. The boat is lying DYC in St. Catharines but is without a trailer or cradle. My haul-out is around Thanksgiving and I need to build an appropriately-sized cradle by that point -- the Marine Cradle Store in Markham doesn't recall the boat dimensions so any help with dimensions and possibly pictures would be amazing!

By the way, all moisture issues aside, I love this boat. It sails wonderfully and the fit and finish of the build is top-notch. I would be very interested to hear what route you took with the new material core some time. Hull/deck?

cheers!
Old 08-09-2008, 08:21   #9

cradle dimensions

measured our cradle on the weekend
it is 149" long; 69" wide with 6 support legs for the boat. The 4 corner supports are 59" off the ground and the centre support legs are 51" off the ground (midway between the end legs), this does not include the adjustable threaded pads that fit into the support legs to finally 'snug' up the legs when the boat is lowered in place.
there are multiple cross bracing arms on the legs plus the main frame but that is a typical Cradle Shop design feature.
Hope this helps
didn't have a camera with me on the weekend - sorry.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:38   #10

Cradle

That is really helpfull -- thanks so much Ardmore -- I'll get to work on this. Doing much cruising? Port Dalhousie is a great destination for a cross-lake trip on a weekend.

cheers
Joe
Old 12-04-2013, 23:19   #11

Boat: scorpio sailboat 35
Re: Scorpio 35 Sloop 1982

Ahoy!! I just purchased a 1980 35 scorpio out of Toronto and I am hoping to get slip at Whitby but port darlington is very tempting as well. Anyway I'll make sure to let you know how she handles and only issue I could find online about her was below water line moisture and once the previous owner told me the amount he spent on fixing that problem, I knew I was taking this beautiful roomy sailor!
Cheers
floating clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 20:29   #12

Hi new to the forum but I had to let the scorpio boat owners I have hull 10 the same 35 that we all have the original owner was from lions head the boat was always names Sundays Child as the documents we have said.
The boat was totally saturated decks are soft and much of the fiberglass was delaminated but after a year and 1000's of dollars in hull repairs it was launched june first this year .it sails rather nice and we are carrying the original main sail with the scorpio logo
I have many hours or restoration so anyone got question I might be able to help would be interesting to get together my family will be traveling the great lakes this summer let us know where you are we will try and drop in
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190606_143713.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	420.8 KB
ID:	195963  
Sundayschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 04:41   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Sundayschild.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2021, 12:31   #14

Hi thought I’d let you know. My father was the original owner of Sunday’s Child. I sailed on it for many years. It was in fact the 5 th and last hull built by Scorpio yachts. Launched after being built in Bayfield Ontario. I would be rally interested in seeing the boat again. My parents lived in Lions Head and the boat was docked there for a number of years. It was brought down to Port Dover for a couple of seasons and then went back up to Lions Head.

Glad to here you went through with the restoration. The balsa core hull was always a concern long term for obvious reasons but it sure made it fun to sail.
Sailguy2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 12:33   #15

On July 31st, my friends and I purchased what we now call the ‘Scorpio 5,’ and several weeks later sailed it from Port Whitby to its new home at the Scarborough Bluffs. We had a great sailing seasons. The boat is out of the water and preparing for its winter sleep.
ScorpioCrew is offline   Reply With Quote