Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2008, 00:43   #16

Boat: samson c-shell
hi Dlam ,the specs of the c-shell that I have are as follows loa 36,waterline length 28,beam 11 and draught 6ft 3
c-bird loa 36,waterline 28ft 6,beam 10ft6 and draught 6ft.
I was lead to believe cecil norris designed c-shell first ,ketch rigged and raised dog house and then designed c-bird mast head sloop with cutter rig and cabin roof is one continuse line.
to me under water hull shape look the same on both boats.
It appears that with ferro boats ,the builders only use the plans as a guide and they think it is ok to stretch ,shorten and widen the boats as they are building them, to the point that they are no longer c-birds or c-shells.
I include a photo of mine out of water ,hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slipping03.jpg
Views:	1958
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	4028  
Old 22-03-2009, 23:52   #17

hi, Bruce

I'm (was) standing onboard a "C-Shell" today in the prospect of a buy. And it looked as if the hull to deck joint was badly coming apart!

Do your plans outline a procedure or diagram of how the fiberglass deck was to mate to the ferro-hull?

I see 30 lag bolts going through the hull into what appears to be a 3ply mahogany rail which the fiberglass deck seems to be unhappily sitting ontop of..

Any insight would be great! the guy only wants a few 1000 for the boat, so if this is a fixable condition i'm going to pick it up.

-Charlie
cpatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2009, 02:39   #18

hi Charlie
the deck on most ferro boats are ferro .the hull and deck armeture is all one unit.
I think you will have on going problems with the c-shell you are looking at,eg deck,hull joint leaks (same as many fiberglass boats),hull will be weaker as deck is not tied into hull,fiberglass will seperate from ply and ply will rot.
Old 29-01-2010, 20:15   #19

Boat: 37' Samson, Ferro
To all interested in the Samson C-Shell / Bird. As noted a couple years ago, I have a C-Shell 36. Upon carefull scrutiny of the plans between the Bird and Shell the merger is simple and obvious. Mine is the C-Shell, exterior and interior, but forward of the Main mast the interior of the C-Bird was put into my C-Shell, the Shell has a v-berth and the Bird has a Port side double berth with a forward head and large chain locker. I reallly like this configuration.
Also, my boat is hauled at present and I have just ripped out the rotten plywood cockpit and constructed a raised aft cabin in its place. the final result is excellent with a very good looking, cruise worthy and yachty exterior look and much more room inside. The cabin is raised 15" above the original cement deck with the mizzen mast stepped just forward of the cabin. To reinforce the wood house to the cement deck I am using wood on the interior cement flanges and then outside I am having winch blocks designed out of steel and bolted in the original deck mounts and also to the cabin sides. this reinforcment to the cabin will make it secure in breaking seas. My kids are looking foreward to sailing in their 'new' boat. I have recieved a lot of positive comments from boat owners in the yard, some of who really appreciate ferro cement. If any body is interested in what I have done then post a reply and I will try ot get some photos up.
Borealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 23:49   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Photos good...

It's good to see photos. Some of us are more visual than verbal.

And also nice if they can be posted to the public gallery under your ID, with a link inserting them into the thread.

I'd love to get a photo competition going, but the logistics are beyond me.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 15:33   #21
mjt

Boat: Samson C-Shell 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borealis View Post
If any body is interested in what I have done then post a reply and I will try ot get some photos up.
Yes please Borealis! Thanks for keeping us up to date on this rare species of boat.
Old 31-01-2010, 19:27   #22

Photos

I have posted some pics in my 'Profile', I think you can see the 'Albums' if you click on my user name. If you can not access them thru my profile then let me know and I will transfer them to the 'Sailboat maintenance' section (or something). Although I have muy mas photos it seems that the albums only accept 3 at a time so I'll be working on updates.
Old 05-02-2010, 21:03   #23

hi Borealis,I have looked at photos of aft cabin.I am wondering what has become of your cockpit and how do you enter and exit aft cabin .Thanks Bruce
Old 07-02-2010, 21:36   #24

Bruce
Good question, access to the aft cabin is through the starboard quarterberth. Behind the moavble companionway ladder there is a low passage to the quarterberth. i expanded things and opened up things and bingo! More living space! Since it is stil under construction the interior wont be finished until I get her back in the water (haulout is near 500$/month). Yesterday I placed the 10 gal deisel and 10 gal water tanks behind the aft cabin near the rudder post, I am most pleased with the outcome. The efficiency, sensibility and increased space of the renovation will make this a new boat. Also, I have a hatch (lazaret) behind the new cabin and portside of the rudder post. There is ample room to crawl through and access aft cabin (secondary escape trunk) and/or storage. i did just place the tanks back here to starboard and centered aft as mentioned above.

Sorry, I got carried away with how tickled I am with my yacht , I forgot the next question...what happened to the old cockpit. Well, uh, it came out in 2 million pieces, and I carried every bit to the dumpster. So much weight! I believe my new construction weighs less. Someone today asked if my boat was steel...hmmm...
Old 07-02-2010, 22:12   #25

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4900bruce View Post
hi I have recently purchased a samson c-shell.It was sold to me as a sea shell and it is 11.4 m (37.6ft) on deck . I have found on board since some plans for a samson c-bird (36 ft ).the previose owner builder has drawn on the c-bird plans the internall acomadation which happen to match the way he has built the insides of my boat .I am not sure what samson designed boat I have brought.
Bruce,
I have read your posts and looked at your photo, I believe your boat is a C-Bird. Here's why:
Yours is a cutter rig, described in Samsons, 'How to Build a Ferro Cement Boat'. The Designer, Peter Noble made slight modifications to the C-Shell by making slimmer beam for speed, and raking the transom for longer LOD to accomodate a sloop rigged request. Obviously, the ketch rig and sloop/cutter rig could not be designed on the exact same hull/deck plan. So how could yours be a cutter rigged C-Shell? C-Shell has a straight up transom and a raised house, yours is not raised. Hope this helps.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:11   #26

Hi Borealis,Yes I have come to the conclusion my c-shell is a stretched c-bird.I have since purchasing boat spoken to previouse owner builder and he still states that boat is a c-shell.
I notice in one of your photos that you are standing on aft deck steering boat with tiller.now you have aft cabin do you steer boat from aft deck ,no cockpit?.
You mentioned c-bird forward cabin.I have gutted interior,taken 1.8 ton to tip.I rebuilt double bed on port side as to plan but I rebuild heads starboard side at rear of main cabin.
This has allowed me to rebuild bulkhead between main cabin and forward cabin 1200mm further forward than before.
Now u shaped seating area is 2.9 m long and u shaped galley is 2.4m long.I now enjoy being on board boat.
As i mentioned earlier I slipped boat 2 weekends agoe ,weekend slip cost $643.00.
Old 10-02-2010, 21:16   #27

More photos posted in Photo Gallery under category "Yacht maintenance"...checkem out, lots of interior pics to compare.

Cheers!!
Old 23-02-2010, 22:36   #28

Hi Borealis,I am posting some photos of my interior for comparasin.biggest improvment has been shifting toilet ,shower area to back of cabin.
have not finnished renovations yet still need carpet and upholstery but getting there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	renovations 040.jpg
Views:	1200
Size:	415.6 KB
ID:	13463   Click image for larger version

Name:	renovations 036.jpg
Views:	775
Size:	410.6 KB
ID:	13464  

Old 02-03-2010, 16:16   #29

Ferro yacht weight

Hi,
just found this thread and wonder if anyone can help me get an estimate of weight on a ferro hull. I have recently acquired a ferro yacht which is a Sampson design with a registered length of 10.8 metres. The tape measure tells a different story and measures 12.17 metres from stern to tip of bowsprit. She is a centre cockpit, aft cabin ketch that has had some neglect over the past few years and I need to haul out for hull clean and anti foul but the local yard wont touch anything over 10 ton and need a weight before hauling. Problem is, I cant get a weight without hauling out and cant haul out without getting a weight. Anyone know of a way to get a weight without hauling? She was supposedly proffesionally built in Brisbane in 1984 and the interior finish and fairness of hull bear this out but I dont have any more info to confirm this. Any help gratefully appreciated.Regards, Cy.
cyaght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 19:23   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Travel lift with scale?

Have you had a chat with the yard manager? Boats, ferro boats in particular, do vary quite a bit even with the same design.

If 10 tonne is their absolute, never go past, limit you may be better off looking for another yard. One with a 30 tonne travel lift fitted with a scale may be best.

There were a series of boats of about your size. The Samson C-Mist rings a bell but plans no longer look to be available.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
samson