Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-07-2009, 10:13   #61

It took the C-ton "waterkeeper" probably DAYS to put together that "linked" google map w/so little info I don't know SQUAT AFTER looking at it
----------
It's OK you probably just don't understand it.. it was created by local guides and fisherman to document the local sunken boats around here, it costs $0, and is constantly updated by people that care about the waterways.. The SCDNR made a similar map with $70,000 of taxpayer money from a plane and officers on the water..
They can't update their map. We found 10 more boats than them...

Sounds like he has a "hardon" for some FLOATING Vessels as well, just because they don't meet his "standards" for "pretty".
---------------------------
It seems you know alot about salvage.. you should probably be able to figure out what would be cheaper - towing a boat sitting low in the water without mast, hatches, and ports to shore after no one has been aboard for 6 months OR sending 10 guys, a barge, a crane etc to pick up the boat from the marsh after the next storm.. get your calculator out and get back to me..

There's 50 boats in the water around here, and going door to door asking for donations isn't really going to raise much $ - at an estimated $5k per vessel, that's alot of money for our municipalities (who are responsible for the vessel-not the DNR or CoastGuard)

Whining is 1 thing, DOING is another--- I'M doing, i've stood aboard this vessel and done everything in my power with ropes floats pumps and other boats to get her upright, and volunteered to again yesterday.. you haven't lifted a finger - you're whining..

---Here's hoping that S/V DS doesn't get cut up, is raised & restored, & that the owner doesn't suffer $25k in state sanctions when DNR finally does get around to doing their JOB.

At this point, 7 MONTHS after the boat sank, i could give a rat's ass about it.. I want it out of our creek.. this "problem" would have cost $500 to fix if SeaTow had been called the day it went down.. Here's to hoping there's not a 10 year old hanging off an innertube missing a leg RIGHT NOW IN OUR CREEK because of someone else's negligent trashpile .. WHOS GOING TO PAY FOR THAT ???

----IF you're working Your butt off trying to "git er up"...ok; not so much & they WILL BE KNOCKING ON YOUR DOOR).

As far as I know the owner spent about 4 hours one saturday afternoon 6 months ago..not exactly "working your butt off"

---- I'd love to see the laws that have people knowing better than to abandon boats.. We sure could use them up here..

Old 26-07-2009, 10:19   #62

. It ticks me off when folks spend huge amounts of time WHINING vs. doing. No, You Don'T "cut 'em up" w/o PERMISSION, however talking to the owner, getting that permission (& possible FUNDING vs. fines) then DOING carries far more weight. The true derelict vessels, w/a legitimate relationship supported by the DNR dealt w/can make for a win/win/win. Pulling Your pud on the www does zip.

You seriously must not understand this situation or you are an idiot.. let me post some of the photos of these boats.. some have been here since Hugo in 1989.. if you could find the hull numbers there is no way in hell the owner would put up anything for their removal.. but i guess you're just pulling our pud on the www.

Old 26-07-2009, 10:36   #63

In closing-

Anyone that flames a volunteer is clearly an idiot.. i can walk away from this and it has nothing to do with me.. just like everyone else that enjoys this creek.. I'm the guy that picks up the floating beercans in the river at the end of the weekend, and the 6packs of bottles on the sandbar as the tide comes in.. I've recently been working with CW - trying to remove even bigger and more dangerous things from our waterways.

I wish we could just pull them all out, and not have to search for the owners, for $0, but that's not going to happen..

The DNR won't touch a powerboat that has been sitting here for 5 years, full of mud, sticking out of the marsh, because they are afraid of getting sued by the owners for disturbing their private property..

We have some ideas to team up with a maritime lawyer, get private funding, and try to pull some of these really old, destroyed hulls ourselves.. but there's not exactly alot of people that want to pony up $ right now to clean up another irresponsible persons mess.

We also know we will have to figure out how to prevent it from happening in the future, hopefully by setting up a resource where boat owners know who to call for advice after a vessel sinks, or to donate it to help the cause..

Also I don't get paid a dime for this, I run a photography company, and have a 2 month old son, bills to pay, etc..
~Joey
Old 26-07-2009, 11:21   #64

Boat: Bristol 34
Currently around my Florida marina there are three boats, which are basically “free”. There comes a point when paying docking fees for a few months exceeds the top market value of certain neglected boats. One is a Westerly 34 abandoned in the bay (recently someone pinched one of the sail tailing winches and I suspect they’ll be back for the other soon). Then there is a Catalina 30 around the bay that the word is the owner will give to an interested party. The third is a filthy, barnacle encrusted, but otherwise okay looking 34 footer paying $300 a month for a slip. Word has it the owner wants $1k, but others say he’ll give it away.

Heed the advice of CaptMick39, but also consider that time is as valuable as money and the time required to restore an old boat may far exceed your expectations. If a part time job will yield $15 an hour (about $15k pre-tax in a year) it may be better to work for that year in air conditioned comfort rather than sweat 100 hours in a “project” boat. $10k can buy a very decent twenty-year old 30’ boat!!

Other than rambling, my only contribution to your quest is to suggest you start hanging around your local marinas and asking questions. If we have three “freebies” in our tiny area, a larger marina in North Carolina is bound to turn up something within your budget / skill range.
Old 26-07-2009, 11:25   #65

Boat: Tartan 34C
Eyes on the prize

Gents --

I hope everyone feels better having gotten those thoughts off their chest. Now, if we can re-focus on the case at hand, we will all have cleaner creeks, more parts, and most important, better blood pressure.

There's plenty of blame and regret to go around - if you don't have any of your own, Mark could probably supply enough to tide you over. If he runs low, contact me and I'll fill your ditty bag, twice. You others, take a number.

I'm trying to help Mark solve HIS problem (possible fines, expense, etc., not to mention the liability if some bozo slams into that mast at 40 mph on a waverunner) while trying to NOT inherit a new problem for me. Mark and I are trying to coordinate better on some things so that this venture turns out for the best, even if that's pretty far down the scale from where it was.

Meanwhile, Mick has given me a ton of tips for raising a boat like this and what to do (and NOT do) when we get her floating. Thanks to Joey's pics, I didn't waste a trip to Charleston this weekend and I have a better idea of what I'm up against. And he (Joey) is the only person so far who has actually been out to the boat and he even attempted to help Mark float her previously.

So, as far as I can tell, we're all still on the same side. I have hopes for a win/win/win/win situation, but that doesn't happen by luck - it takes vision, planning, and good information, much of which I get right here. It also takes a ton of work and a bit of luck. I appreciate what everyone brings to the discussion, and for some it is and will always be merely a discussion, but for me and Mark it's serious business with risks and rewards, expenses and payoffs. For Joey, it's one less boat littering the waterways. For Mick, it's a potential salvage buddy when the next storm wades ashore.

For me? Read the thread title - that oughta give you a clue.....

Peace,

John
Old 26-07-2009, 11:38   #66

Where are the free/cheap boats?

Rover --

Where in FL are you? You probably have 10X as many boats as NC, and if I could find a dirty but sound 34 footer, I'd drive down to FL instead of Charleston (sorry Joey!). That's why I started this thread - to find a big, cheap boat.

John
Old 26-07-2009, 12:30   #67

Well said John, that's what internet forums are all about.. like minded people helping each other..
Old 27-07-2009, 12:43   #68

Boat: P39Hull#72"Schadenfreude"
Just setting the record straight....

In no particular order, folks throwing me under the bus should know:
1-have trailers, boats (in various states of restoration) & have traveled to TX, SC, GA, Almost any point You care to name in FL, LA, AL, MS & MEXICO to salvage/save vessels.
If it's worth the trip & we can establish helpful (or reasonable financially) local contacts...we're on our way as The gear is on (or IN) Trailers (& Trucks) that're ready to "roll". In 24-96 hours (working round the clock) after arrival it's either on a big trailer coming back this way, OR the remnants not worth saving are in a WM/WP, who the local refuse P/U company's DUMPSTER belongs to, cut according to their spec's (1'x1'/etc.).

2-we've been in the boat restoration BUSINESS(as in TAX NUMBER, Occupational LICENSES, INSURANCE, BOND, etc.) since 1987. Yes, HUGO was good "for bidness" in '89. The checks came from the feds, the state and the insurance companies. We raised/floated/collected/returned to the hard (working as add on crew/divers) off a crane barge over 1000 vessels in 6 weeks. We thereafter bid on & won 9 of 'em & restored 'em all...down here.

3-Since folks obviously missed it, now live on the "nature coast" & sinking/derilect/distressed/"toast" vessels simply aren't tolerated in these parts, not for long (by that "long" You can figure in HOURS & Days rather than Weeks Or MONTHS).

The fuel/battery acid/other toxins in spills can be catastrophic & fm. the USCG down to the local yocals/countie mounties...they ARE on top of it locally. Most of our derilect vessels in this area are AT owners PRIVATE Docks, & they can get a stern talking to/fined if it gets "too low" in the water, starts leaking "fluids", etc. We have multiple org.s locally (as NGO's) that take an ACTIVE Role in patrolling local waters & reporting any questionable "floaters"/sinkings Immediately.

Sorry dashing off to C-ton isn't tops on the agenda (it's a part time biz now...for another month or so, 'till the carribean gets just a little warmer & the big 'uns start rolling off Africa), as keeping the LOCAL back yard comes first...regionally 2nd, statewide 3rd, & so on. It's called geographical logistics. Spent 16 wks in Miami after Andrew, 20 hrs a day (most of them under water or baking w/no AC, however we DID have our own brought in Elec. powering the entire MARINA base of operations, Ft. Laud. after wilma, P-Cola after Ivan, NO & MS coastlines after Katrina, (heck just had a couple employees get back from Ike & Galveston 3 MONTHS AGO?) & the punch line is that I've (& our company have) raised more boats than the majority of the posters, condemning little 'ole "me" formerly have ever SEEN IN THEIR COLLECTIVE LIFETIMES (& literally have about 4000 pictures of them to PROVE that statement.....).

Brakes, no negative was ever directed at You personally, the map didn't tell me much...pictures would have been nicer, HULL NAMES & or HIN's/Registration #'s, including last yr. of registration WOULD. IF they've been down since Hugo, that was a lifetime ago. It wouldn't happen here.
When we pulled out of there, the worst had been dealt with. & if You lived there, then, & were old enough to remember...it was BAD. Worse than anyplace here, ever, since. Not 1 ground zero in FL since ever held a candle (including andrew), however Katrina was worse...Rita pretty close. IF You're getting a check (as in $moola$) for 1 & a "thank You" for the other, which does come first...having employees not big on charity except for it beginning AT HOME? Sure, we raised, drug back to deep water, a couple HUNDRED for nada over the years, for a beer, for a thank you, for general principal, because it was the right thing to do.

having some "org" running around documenting (w/o actually DOCUMENTING) the derelicts isn't terribly helpful if no GPS, no Pictures, no ID, & vague descriptions are the best that can be mustered. I have a 22' Mako w/a 150 Mariner on the back & something tells me, looking at that map, I could get trackable info. off 2/3rd's of those noted vessels in a day...follow up w/the locals the next day, & get 'em ALL dealt with in a w/e w/volunteers, a crane barge w/operators who know the local waters & ALL of these could be dealt with...in a day. Yes, 1 day & a pricetag of about $15k. Billing of the state, for billing of the "owners" wouldn't be real hard for the parties still in the area either.

It's 90% homework & recon...10% execution on the "day". IF You really care about Your local waters, the Sierra Club, BoatsUS, the DNR, the ACoE, & the USCG (&DHS) can not only assist, they can help You get "stimulus grants" to get the task done.

I'm no rocket scientist, just a rigger, salvor, restorer, & that's all "part-time" as until we have problems around here...there's plenty else to keep me & mine busy. It's really impractical (especially as somebody else noted...when Seatow/Tow BoatUS could have remedied the problem at hand noted in the majority of this thread, COULD HAVE BEEN Dealt w/for probably < $500. on the DAY of the incident, or immediately thereafter. We ALL got to see what happens when You ignore a 800lb gorilla in the living room instead of FIXING the problem.

Can hypothisize(sp?) until the cows come home as to why that didn't happen, however it's fair to say he's lost a good boat. Waiting 6 months to fix it wasn't intelligent. All the others just compound Your local problems.

As for Florida Laws? Just be so stupid as to (with a PERFECT, FLOATING BOAT of any kind or length) drop a hook on a reef in the keys...& be prepared to hand the keys to that vessel (& possibly everything else You own in the world) over to the enforcement agencies. Stated previously...by others & me, YES, down here we do have exponentially more boats(& coastline), therefore the problem COULD Be worse...it just isn't because MOST (not all) owners are more concerned about their property, and pretty much ALWAYS the cops WILL find You if not. A few slip thru the cracks...a very small few.

These are the "updates"(all 89 PAGES of them) going in to effect on 10/1 of this year locally...don't anchor in Grass any more either...the consequence can be (financially) castastrophic. Of course, that's OUR Laws, Here.

http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sectio...3&Session=2009

Prior this, for anyone who cared to know, we have the most serious laws regarding abandoned vessels in the nation already. Including seizure, fines, judgment, GARNISHMENT OF YOUR WAGES UNTIL Satisfied, etc. These new 89 pages guarantee You better not so much as have gas cans on Your boat in our waters that aren't USCG Approved. It's no picnic just trying to find a place to legitimately ANCHOR in this state as well, while no less than 50% of our marinas have become private condo complexes in the last 5 years.

You want help?
Lobby Your LEGISLATORS...our environmentalists did...read (just a portion of) those 89 pages and realize, YOU CAN Save Your LOCAL Waters...just takes a little activism.

Taking the bull by the horns IS my personal Preference...HERE. Coming up there, to clean up YOUR mess, w/o the $15k, map, supporting marina (those hulks gotta be unloaded SOMEWHERE), authorizations from owners/former owners/law enforcement is all a lesson in futility. I'd offer to HELP, & pay a crew w/salvage tools for the weekend (we can turn 30' in to a small dumpster in mere hrs) IF somebody up there did the "heavy lifting" of the 6-PPPPPP's. Otherwise me & my employee's time is far too valuable. We don't make $15. an hr. or $15k in a year & we sure as heck don't usually work in A/C. When "on the clock, the least of employed under me makes double those figs. & gets paid OT which usually hits in the morning of day 3 for wk long projects (read=18 hrs is a "normal" day in the thick of a "mess"). When "volunteering"(which we've also put in thousands of hours on over the last doz.+ yrs, when the time/place/scenario are right....when offered money by those I know now destitute, it's refused & "trust me, You couldn't afford us" is the reply. ALl I want to see is that owner BREAKING HIS ARSE to get his baby floating, safe, vertical, back on the hard, whatever. HE CARES, WE Care.

Not to worry, we'll be mobile again, soon enough. Some cherries will get picked & lots more pits will get cut up. Nature of the beast. You learn to look at it like triage...save the savable. Cut up the unsavable for parts. It's cold...& then again, they're boats; they don't live or breathe, regardless of how long they kept Your Arse dry formerly.

Check Your Ground Tackle & bilge pump(s)/switches/electrical production as there but for the grace of God, go any of us. Keep a good Insurance policy in force & You'll meet me or those like me before You know it...we're like ER DOCs. Doing the right thing immediately afterward(including simply ASKING FOR HELP) separates the adults from the "not so much".

& no, never actually SUNK a personally owned vessel.
The "watertenders" is a good idea....they need training, tools, and TEETH. That was my point in the posting belittled & berailed by a few.
Charleston, You folks need some real water related "community organizers".
Old 27-07-2009, 17:06   #69

Roger That....So who wants to join this butthead at the dance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Cement View Post
Gents --

I hope everyone feels better having gotten those thoughts off their chest. Now, if we can re-focus on the case at hand, we will all have cleaner creeks, more parts, and most important, better blood pressure.

There's plenty of blame and regret to go around - if you don't have any of your own, Mark could probably supply enough to tide you over. If he runs low, contact me and I'll fill your ditty bag, twice. You others, take a number.

I'm trying to help Mark solve HIS problem (possible fines, expense, etc., not to mention the liability if some bozo slams into that mast at 40 mph on a waverunner) while trying to NOT inherit a new problem for me. Mark and I are trying to coordinate better on some things so that this venture turns out for the best, even if that's pretty far down the scale from where it was.

Thanks to Joey's pics, I didn't waste a trip to Charleston this weekend and I have a better idea of what I'm up against. And he (Joey) is the only person so far who has actually been out to the boat and he even attempted to help Mark float her previously.

So, as far as I can tell, we're all still on the same side. I have hopes for a win/win/win/win situation, but that doesn't happen by luck - it takes vision, planning, and good information, much of which I get right here. It also takes a ton of work and a bit of luck. I appreciate what everyone brings to the discussion, and for some it is and will always be merely a discussion, but for me and Mark it's serious business with risks and rewards, expenses and payoffs. For Joey, it's one less boat littering the waterways. For Mick, it's a potential salvage buddy when the next storm wades ashore.

For me? Read the thread title - that oughta give you a clue.....

Peace,

John
2nded.
Joey, My apologies if I ruffled feathers, it wasn't Yours' the post had been directed at, rather the "resource" You'd referred us to. As for others who hadn't lifted a finger taking "pot shots"....I don't LIVE there, YOU DO. Get off Your duff's & get involved; that can start with THIS Project as elephants get consumed just like steaks...a bite at a time. 1 of 20 (or 50) is just what it sounds like...
A NICE Start.

Joey, no disrespect was intended to anybody who SHOWS UP, takes an active role, and tries to do something (as I understand it considerably more than most OWNERS of the derilects). My hat's off to You. Now, call Your local municipality, get on the agenda, start making a stink at town/county commission meetings...move it up the food chain to state Rep's & Senators...1 thing learned (now a part of the "bureaucracy" most locally) is that Joey, You (& other concerned citizens, in mass) keep on bitchin' & You WILL get some attention...along w/the hulks. Start w/an editorial to the paper with a picture of a really disgusting 1...then ask to be on the next town agenda...then put a classified in the paper (under public notices) asking for folks(those concerned citizens) to show up and add to Your voice. Step to the microphone w/a prepared statement (like You did w/me, above) & note that You have sweated, gotten muddy & helped in both vain & successful "rescues". Point out the danger to the overall & boating community. Point out that it's THEIR RESPONSIBILITY to do something about this. It's what THEY get PAID to deal with (not to worry, they'll know You're right); & the more people You have stepping to the microphone after You, the better. AND GO BACK, month after month...promises made aren't always promises kept when it comes to gov.org; Keep being that squeaky wheel & they WILL deal w/the problem. You may just get approached by a reporter looking for a gr8 story to boot. You may just want to go to the tourism bureau, as well as the Chamber of Commerce. BOTH may well point You toward similar organizations that are already actively working toward YOUR goals. If not, START 1, or give the watertenders some legs by having meetings once a month at a local restaurant on a wednesday night when they're slow...they should be happy to host a good cause...cleaning up waterways & reducing hazards qualifies. Then You can get papers/radio/TV/BoatUS-WestMarine/Boat Owners Warehouse/other local publications to give those meetings some legs...next thing You know (& I'm talking October here btw) Your not for profit .org is now 100+ members strong. You know what $5. x those members ='s?...guess who THEY know? about 1-2 extra people each of like mind that YOU Don't! Next comes a fund raiser...pancake breakfast, shrimp-a-roo(what we used to do on the NC Coast), something catered by a restaurant for costs, or maybe even donated by them, again radio/local acess channel TV/Papers/flyers up at all the marine stores, next thing You know You'll have a sponsoring MARINA or Dry Dock Yard offering empty space to cut up the hulks at. Joey (or others reading) it CAN and will snowball. Your goal was accomplished. The waterways get cleaned up, & everybody feels better because the hazards are gone. Dealing w/them 1 at a time w/a fresh start makes Law Enforcement's Job that much easier Keep in mind the local fishing clubs...they may want to have a couple CLEAN 1's or barges drug off shore for new artificial reef fishing holes. There are answers. Some times 1 person can accomplish much when they set their minds to it...i know because i have. Joey, I'm not there. Otherwise I'd take up Your cause in a second. Others, far better than me (as an organizer/instigator ) are right in Your back yard. It takes 6 hours a month & You can change Your community. Somebody has to start the snowball at the top for the avalanche at the bottom.
1 man & a megaphone can change the world as we know it. You don't have to be "experienced or politically saavy", just don't call 'em "stupid" & keep the pressure on...my bet is You'll prevail.

Back to the starter of this thread:

John, if You can muster a crew, I have an 8'x18' stakeside in the garage which can be drug that way w/8.5kw Honda(gas) (have 5 gensets, that's the 1 that's already loaded on this particular trailer), compressors (both gas & electric), 500' of fire hose, 3000' of 3/4" line, 2000' of 5/8ths, block & tackles, flotation bladders, water, food(MRE's, duffle bags full), every demolition tool You care to think of, hand & electric operated(18v AND 110, at least 2 of each, some hydraulic including a porta-power & the proverbial "jaws of life"), about 2000' of extension cords, cribbing(lumber)as big as 16'-8"x8"PT on down from there, chains, chainfalls(industrial version of "come-alongs", Hand operated & 10ton rated), stands, 8' pry/wrecking bars, plywood,(trash pumps are currently being rented by a friend in the tow biz full time), submersible pumps(not likely useful, but already loaded), hoses, shovels, wheel barrow, 50 gal.gas in jerry jugs, "rollers"(these are cute, 10" poly pressure relief line for the underground natural gas, various lengths, 1" wall thickness & slippery as cat mess on a linoleum floor...did I mention they're "round" as in rollers? since they worked for the egyptians, we've had pretty good luck w/them too), 20ton down to 2ton bottle & floor jacks, 40 yrs of experience, dive certification & 3 tanks full, a 4x4 wheeler that could come in real handy w/both winch & hitch, 4wd truck pulling it all & that 22' Mako C/C/tow boat, on another dual axle trailer. Problem is, w/o more than a little $change$ promised(which must be delivered)I can't talk a "crew" in to driving multiple vehicles & would be coming alone. Charity is: I have a weekend & can head up Friday Night. I can put $50k in priceless items for the task behind me. I can NOT leave them unattended at a boat ramp, nor can I transport them to the scene w/o another driver &/or Sizeable Boat. Mark needs some juice for me to shift in to 2nd gear & head that way, otherwise, good luck, God's Speed, again don't let Anybody do AnyThing Stupid, and BE CAREFUL. If say, $1000. could be mustered, we can get the deed done, coming in from 7.5 hrs out(which equates to FUEL for the boat, & Trucks, powered appliances, as we HAVE TO COME BACK HOME SUNDAY NIGHT for monday appearances at our "jobs"; Nothing about this task is cheap or easy). All my guys have "regular jobs" & we suck down all our vacation time starting in a few weeks...& it starts w/staying glued to the weather channel. Best I can do, mostly to silence a few "naysayers".

Put Your backs in to it boys...I just offered to; & coming to the dance dressed w/enough equipment to get at least a dozen nice & sore to the marrow come Monday am, whaddaya say?
John, You did say You got the beer covered, right? Pizza's will add to the morale level too. (vs.my MRE's which are healthy...if Ya like the taste of sawdust, & "no Taste")
Who's next?
What can You bring? WHO Else can YOU bring with ya? (& bring at least 2 extra changes of CLOTHES down to the skivvy's)
Who has a pontoon boat (that we will promise to hose off afterward)?

PEACE Back Atcha John...
-Mick
Old 24-08-2009, 18:44   #70

Just when you thought it was safe......

....or at least OVER.....

.....The resurrection of S. V. Distant Star is ON AGAIN! I have gotten a couple of contributions in equipment and she comes up this Saturday. Meet at Limehouse Landing at 0800 (low tide is 1100) we'll be out at the boat by 0900. If anyone has or can get a trash pump, please let me know either here or by PM. A couple of boats would be terrific. If we have too many people at once, we work in shifts. I'd rather have helpers and not want 'em, than to want 'em and not have 'em!

Remember, this won't be a 2 hour project. I'm thinking we spend 2 hours stuffing floats inside and an hour making sure we have as many as we need where we need them. By then, it's noon already and the tide is rising. I suspect she''l start to come off the bottom around 3, floating at 4, pumped by 5. THEN we have to tow her.

If you can't come out 'til 12 or 2 or 4, fine, help when and how you can. And bring an appropriate PFD - I don't have time to duct tape a bag to each guy who bumps his head. Wear water shoes or ratty sneakers, and bring gloves - she's a slimy mess and will get worse as soon as we start dripping water on her.

Sounds like fun. Who's in?

John
Old 24-08-2009, 19:07   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Cement View Post
I appreciate the links to websites that might have a boat fitting my needs. My experience has been that anything priced low enough to meet my budget and advertised widely is not worth much at all. My best bet, and the reason for my post, is that someone might know of a 30+ boat that someone needs to move out of the way, out of the yard, away from the marina, to make way for something else.

Bora - My only reason for not looking at steel is that I don't know how to protect or repair. This could change.

Mick - I'm sure there are some storm boats and/or parts in my future. One way to go would be to buy a demasted boat and mate it with the rig from a holed boat. The big problem is finding the time to travel to FL (probably) to swap the parts and dispose of the waste.

All - Keep those ideas coming, and especially, contact me (PM?) if there's a boat you know of that still has reasonable potential and a motivated owner.

Maybe I should hang out at the docks as a Cat 3 approaches?

John

keep your eyes open,
we just picked up a sagetta 30 for $917.00.... it was really nasty inside, but structrually sound...
great rigging, vhf, stereo, good mainsail, OK jib, great spinnaker, battery charger, lifer jackets, flares, new holding tank, running 2qm15 yanmaretc.....
Old 24-08-2009, 19:18   #72

Nice Find!

This entire SV DS idea came from that very notion of finding a big, cheap boat. Part of the problem is I live at least 2 hours from salt water. That's why I put out the All Points Bulletin hoping to enlist the help of sailors who know of a neglected boat that needs a new home. THAT issue remains, even after we extract DS from the mud, since I believe she needs to be euthanized at this point.

I'm still looking, so from Annapolis to Jacksonville (FL), call me if I need to adopt something in your lagoon. A contact number for the owner is ALWAYS a big help, plus whatever local knowledge you have on the boat and her owner.

Thanks,

John
Old 25-08-2009, 19:10   #73

Boat: Columbia 41
There is a Morgan 41 on the hardstand at Lippincott Marina in Grasonville MD, The agent there is Ken Church. I know he is a good guy because he sold me my boat. The Morgan's asking price two years ago was $35k. It may be less now.
Old 26-08-2009, 13:07   #74

Need boats and bodies - How 'bout it?

I'm about 72 hours from my recovery attempt and so far, I have 2 people to do the work (counting me) and no boat to reach the work location. Everything else either is in place or will be before I leave Friday afternoon. If anyone can help out in any way Saturday, I would appreciate it immensely. Bring a friend or come alone; bring a barge, a jon boat, an inflatable, or a pontoon platform. I promise to clean any muck off when we're done.

Thanks,

John
Old 26-08-2009, 13:13   #75

Check Your email and TWC/WeatherUnderground/NOAA as well?
His name is Danny and he's pointed Your direction currently?
FYI?

Keep us all posted;
-Mick

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: